SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dazzlemewithcolor

Anone with large mirror in dining room?

dazzlemewithcolor
13 years ago

I'm wondering if this works or not and if it could be pulled off tastefully.

Thanks

Comments (49)

• magnaverde
    13 years ago

You know me, Tasteful's my middle name.

Here's my former dining room, all 9 x 11 feet of it. Good thing I only have three friends.

The largest wall had a big, bad plaster patch right above the, well, I was going to say 'sideboard' but it's just a dresser I picked up at Goodwill for $6O, Anyway, the bulgy wall was ugly, but I didn't have the money to have it replastered correctly and I also didn't have the money for a giant panel of engraved mirror, so I did a cheap-& dirty mashup of a bunch of closet-door mirrors from the dollar store & a plastic security mirror. There's nothing like making do. Imagine how cool it would have been if it had been the real thing.

• Related Discussions

Dining Room Cabinet/Mirror?

Q

Comments (24)
    Hey Parma, glad to see you're getting juiced again about things! And that you're even willing to mention moving the corner cab. (but I wouldn't say anything about it... ;-)) I had not seen the entry corner before. But now...oh boy, Les is right. I really like the piece you showed in the first post. It is unusual, and that counts more to me than "if it goes" with everything else. Remember, real French Country is a hodge podge, collected over time, yadda, yadda. I know you know that. Have you seen the piece in person. It seems to me that if the wood isn't too distressed, it could hold its own with your style. I always think about how changing the hardware might shift something stylewise. Maybe a little cut glass knob (not too glitzy) to pick up the drops on the chandy. Need to bring it up from rustic, if in fact that's where it is. I don't think I'd like a big mirror over a heavy piece in the niche. Too much weight packed in. Maybe a couple of candelabras or candle sticks and greenery -- tall but still open. I think it should pleasantly fill the visual space above the case goods, but not be too visually heavy. On second thought, maybe a round mirror would work...picking up on the round table. With an airy frame....maybe metal like the chandy. I just think you need something a bit lighter over a chunky piece. Of course, if you use something light like Scooby suggests, then you could do a bit more above. I can see a chunky mirror with a stronger frame, buffet lamps and all that jazz. Or just fab art....my personal preference. I hate to be a PITA (when am I not?) but I think you should get settled on the corner cab before making any decisions about what else to do in there. If you do decide to free up those walls, you may find a buffet type item you like better, being unrestrained by the size limits of the niche. Let me start some more trouble...have you seen the sale at Pierre Deux? I think the Francois Library table would look nice in your house....anywhere! And it would fit in the niche. I can also see a baker's rack in the niche...but I suspect you may already have one elsewhere.
    ...See More

New thread...dining room mirror decor suggestions

Q

Comments (17)
    Hmm...yes..I think that particular teal is on the cooler side. I did like another lamp shade which is lighter and more greenish. Many of you mentioned that the mirror looked small in the space, so I went ahead and removed one of the bookshelves. It looks a little different now : I added a aquamarine lamp, a sculpture on the bookshelf and tall plants on either side. I really like plants and was planning to get indoor fruits trees and this might be the right spot for them. Thoughts? Cooks.
    ...See More

mirrors in the dining room yay or nay?

Q

Comments (5)
    I have one over the sideboard in my dining room. I've seen people on here say that no one wants to watch themselves eat, but it is high enough that when we're sitting at the table, you cannot see yourself. I don't know how a mirror can be dated. But I'm sure some people might disagree. I think it's personal preference. It just opens up our space and reflects the light.
    ...See More

Displaying a large mirror in living room or dining room

Q

Comments (2)
    Go ahead and hang it. That’s far safer than propping it up to make it taller. I have a 6x5’ mirror in a thick heavy wood frame that I hung on plaster walls. It weighs about 35-50 lbs. We mounted it about 8” above the baseboard for our 8’ ceilings.
    ...See More
  • DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

And those closet door mirrors just happen to fit perfectly within the existing panel??? Good grief, Magnaverde - who do you know??!!

I've always had a large mirror of some sort in my dining room. This is the current one, just hung yesterday but the wall is a work in progress.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

magnaverde, Hard to believe that any of your rooms are 'had to make do' rooms. How do you do it? LOL

Palimpset, thank you for the info.

I would love to see more photos of dining rooms with large mirrors. Keep them coming!

• magnaverde
    13 years ago

[Dlm2000: And those closet door mirrors just happen to fit perfectly within the existing panel???
    Good grief, Magnaverde - who do you know??!! Obviously, I didn't know the person who made sure that both lamps had candles in them before I took that picture. You just can't find good help these days.

Your own mirror is very handsome all by itself, not--like mine--as a hodgepodge of odds & ends. And I like how the colors & the lobed shapes on the chairs' fabric--Wm Morris? Liberty? Early Josef Hoffman? Dagobert Peche? It's hard to tell from such a small sample--rhyme with the pumpkin & gourd, while the more linear vines show up in the wrapped-stem ball. It's like playing connect-the-dots in 3-D. You could invite over a bunch of Art History geeks like me and we could play for money!]

• DLM2000-GW
    13 years ago

Please excuse the slight detour, dazzleme

***Wm Morris? Liberty? Early Josef Hoffman? Dagobert Peche? ***

sigh... hardly. Just a nice sale at Calico Corners in Wilmette. But I'm flattered anyway. That lovely mirror is the result of my mother's extraordinary taste, as are many of the things I have come to love and appreciate since she's gone.

• yborgal
    13 years ago

I think mirrors work nicely in a DR and in my situation I already had enough artwork in the room, so the mirror filled up the empty space above the buffet.

I've since changed out the hurricane candles for another centerpiece, but I wanted to share my "finds" with you.

The gold chairs were rescued from a neighbor's trash bin. The buffet was purchased for $50 and the seller refinished it for me and delivered it to my home for free. The mirror was bought for $15 in a clearance sale at Sears.

None of these pieces match, but they work for me.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

A lot of posters here have mirrors in their DR's, so I hope you get a lot of pictures!

Below is a wall in my sitting room, but it was decorated the same way when it was in my DR. Pictures and all!

This is a 1930's mirror that went to a vanity which I no longer have because I was STUPID and gave it away! lol

• franksmom_2010
    13 years ago

Mine aren't so large, but I have two of them. Does that count?

And magnaverde, I've got you beat! Our dining room is 9x10! I'm on the hunt for a very tiny pedestal table and two chairs, just so we can actually dine in there. That is a hoot that you cobbled together that mirror! Is that the chandelier made from shower curtain rings? I just love crafty ingenuity!

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I don't have a dining room here, but the dining end of my LR has one very large mirror and a smaller mirror over the fireplace. It is hard to photograph, those geometric lines are the flash. The big mirror is almost 6'x4+'.(those doors are each 95" x 44" for comparison) The frame was made by a friend of mine for a famous artist who subsequently changed the size of the piece it was made for so I got it cheap. She put a rubbed clay finish on it that matched the fireplaces in this apartment, coincidentally. The finish is deteriorating like crazy but I like it.

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Here is mine- It is a bit small but is a vintage family(DH) piece with an original faux finish.
    It looks ok IRL over the chest that is a family piece ( my side)

• Rudebekia
    13 years ago

Here's mine: built-ins with mirrors original to the 1913 home. The mirrors do reflect candlelight beautifully!
    {{!gwi}}

• jjam
    13 years ago

These are old photos but the wall is still the same...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• auntie_ellen boston
    13 years ago

Mirrors in Dining Rooms are very traditional. In mine, I have two.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Love all the inspiring photos! I will have to post a photo of my mirror, because it is a lot larger than these pictured here. Thanks for sharing everyone!

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Magnaverde, That is stunning--as usual. And I love how you brought together.

Yeah, I have a "large mirror"--my 13' high X 14' wide wall is mirrored and a picture is hung on the mirror. But I was recently told that it's very dated; I'll have to work on that.

• magnaverde
    13 years ago

Wow, what a great line up of good-looking rooms!

Dlm2000, you may have bought that fabric from Calico Corners, but the designer defintitely had an Art Nouveau book open while he or she was working on it. One of these days I'll find a photo of the direct inspiration--there is one, I just can't find it at the moment--and you'll see. Meanwhile, wherever it comes from, the stuff's not only the perfect choice for your room (and your chairs) it's beautiful in itself. I guess I need to check out CC next time I see one. I've never been through their doors.

And Mustangs, pay no attention to the clueless mopes who call stuff "dated". People who tell you that merely demonstrate their short attention spans, because, as the poet John Keats says, a Thing of Beauty is a joy forever. If, on the other hand, what they really mean when they call something "dated" is that somethings is ugly, then they should come right out & say so. But here's the thing: ugly things were always ugly, even when they were new and, presumably, popular, but fashion-driven people can't see beyond the marketing hype. At any rate, ignore their ignorant comments, and you can tell 'em I said so. Your mirrored-wall room looks very handsome, and it reminds me of one of my all-time favorite rooms, done three quarters of a century ago. M.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

Magnaverde,

That last photo you posted is just stunning!

I see what you mean that beautiful is always beautiful. I could easily see that room being designed today. Timeless.

• loribee
    13 years ago

Here's ours...

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Magnaverde, Thank you, thank you! And that picture you shared is stunning. I will use your line if I get the opportunity again. And thank you for your input in this forum.

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

My mirror/DR doesn't compare the rooms here, but here's a pic I have of it:

• shellfish
    13 years ago

Here is our mirror-this pic is a bit outdated as I've added some old framed photos in the room, but you get the idea-

• mustangs81
    13 years ago

Very nice Shellfish!

• Bethpen
    13 years ago

Here's mine...I'm in the midst of Christmas decorating for a big family party next week. GW is a welcome distraction.
    I got the mirror at Ethan Allen on sale..it has monkeys on it and I sure do love me some monkeys.

I love seeing everyone's dining rooms. It is fun how different they all are.

Beth P.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Oh my, gorgeous dining rooms! Mine is postage stamp size, but I have a good size mirror on the short wall. It's about 40" long.

The other one is small, only about 12" square, but I like it with the rooster. It helps reflect more light into the room. {{!gwi}}From art
    {{!gwi}}From art

(Yeeps, I realize I REALLY need to dust!)

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow! Thank you for all the awesome photos! I am definitely putting up my large mirror.

• K8Orlando
    13 years ago

I don't normally post on this forum but saw the question about large mirrors and had to chime in. My house was built in 1992 and came with a mirrored wall in the formal living room. When we moved in (1998) we decided to use that room as a dining room instead. I wasn't too enthused about the wall at first but I've come to really like it. The reflected light is always fun, especially at Christmas when we put a large tree against the mirror.

Kate

This picture is from 2005 but shows how nicely it reflects light.

• User
    13 years ago

Some great dining rooms and mirrors posted!

• hoosiergirl
    13 years ago

Not as large, grand or stylish as some of the gorgeous rooms above, but here is ours (an old photo with a few fall decorations up!):

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

I really want to thank dazzlemewithcolor for starting this topic and I want to thank everyone who has shared a pic of their mirror in their dining room.

We still haven't gotten to finishing up the dining room since the little flood disaster but it's on our "To Do" list first thing after the holidays.

I've had my Grandmother's mirror..huge...that went with her blond bedroom dresser.
    By the time we were able to get entry into her house, the furniture on the ground was trashed but the mirror, hanging on the all away from the uhh....rodents, was in pristine condition.
    Grandmother purchased her bedroom set in 1930-something. Although the lines of the bedroom set are very Swedish, the frame on the mirror could go with almost any style.

For a couple months I did have the mirror hanging in the dining room before the flood but now it's leaning against a wall in a non high-traffic area.
    Whenever I walk by it, I wonder to myself if it would be such a good idea ...looks-wise....to hang it back up in the dining room when the dining room is completed.

This post has convinced me to hang it proudly!
    Thank you all!

anele,
    I like your mirror...I wish my Grandmother's mirror was more that size because it's huge. For my very small 9 x 10 dining room I think your size would be better in my dining room.
    I'm interested in that sweet card holder you have on your table.
    Did you purchase it, if so, where?
    It's really very sweet and I could use something like that on my counter for the cards we've already started to receive. Actually, I'd like to be able to get two of them...one on each side of the pass-through counter.

Again, thank you all for taking the time to share your pics of your beautiful rooms and mirrors!

• anele_gw
    13 years ago

amity, I think I'd prefer a larger mirror . . .esp. something older and meaningful like yours!

As for the stand, it is called a festivity/seasonal stand. It takes the place of a nature table for us (no room). Its original purpose is to decorate it for each season, but you can use it for anything, including serving food. It has little holes in it where specially made wooden figures fit, candles, etc. There are also holes in it so you can tie things through. However, I think you could do just as well with one of those cupcake stands!

The link is below-- here are other ideas of how people decorate them:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Stand

• msrose
    13 years ago

Oh, pesky, I need your big rooster! You didn't buy it recently did you?

Laurie

• love-my-lilhome
    13 years ago

My dining room is 9x10. Because it is so small I had one wall (back wall) covered with beveled mirror squares
    (12"x12"). I have never been sorry and I have been told on here it is dated. Well, so am I honey!
    I will post pictures but the room is so small its hard to get a good angle.
    I am so so sorry the pics are so big. I tried to redo but
    it didn't work.
    You will have to use your side to side scroll to see the mirrors.

• neetsiepie
    13 years ago

Thanks Msrose(laurie). No, he's not a recent purchase. My DH found him at a local chain store a couple of years ago and was going to make a mold off it so he could make more in concrete but he realized I would kill him if he ruined such a great piece.

He finds me some great ones!

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

I like this one:

(in the fun lane)

• newdawn1895
    13 years ago

Cooperbailey I love your empire chest, it's gorgeous.

I saw a bullseye mirror I want for the living room, love them.

• ladyamity
    13 years ago

Oh Anele,

Thank you so very much for the info and that link. That link!
    I wish I had the funds to buy each of my Grandkidlets one of the toys on the
    Grimm's Spiel und Holz Page or the Dollhouses Page.....wonderful memories of a simpler time.

I don't dare let Mr. Amity see the Wood Vehicles....omg, I wouldn't have any money left to buy presents for the Grandkidlets! LOL
    He has a thing about wooden vehicles...his Gramps used to carve them and give them to Mr. Amity to play with when he'd spend a couple weeks at a time with his grandparents....a very special time for him. He has one left that his grandfather made and it is in perfect condition and he's always eyeing them if we happen upon them at yard sale etc,

I see there are more beautiful pictures of mirrors in dining rooms......yippeee!
    This post has really made my mind up......I am putting that huge mirror back into the dining room but I really can't see leaving it that really bonde wood so I'll be back in a few weeks asking tons of questions .....what to paint or stain the frame of that huge mirror.

These are the only pictures of my mirror that I have on this computer.
    I'm sure the older computer has more but I'm lazy and don't want to run into the house to check.
    But you can get an idea of how big it is. Remember, this diningroom (was a 9 x 10 bedroom/turned dining room by previous owners). Doorway to hall is a couple feet past the left edge (facing it) of the mirror.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

I don't see any of thoe beautiful mirrored walls as dated, but timeless! We lived in a small NYC apartment with a very small DR off the even smaller kitchen which was next to the front door. One wall was mirrored and it of course added light and expanded the space! Beautiful!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Demi- your mirror is amazing! simply beautiful

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Agree that Demi's mirror is amazing!

Also JJam I saved your pic because I love the prints on either side of a mirror. Not sure where I can do it but I like it a lot.

• dazzlemewithcolor
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am blown away with all the awesome pictures! I can't wait to get my mirror up lol.

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks Cooperbailey and Susanwrites!

It was my husband's favorite. He used to like to say, "trumeau." ;)

• jjam
    13 years ago

Thanks susanwrites, I must say I do a lot of tweaking around here but I don't touch that wall, and I always enjoy looking at it. I'm sure you'll find a place to have a similar arrangement. BTW, I saved your library photos....for my next house; it's fabulous.

• B H
    13 years ago

I love looking at all these photos.

Anele - I must have a seasonal festivity stand now!

young-gardener - where did you find that inspiration photo? I want that dining room. :)

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dianalo
    13 years ago

One of the very few things worth keeping in this house was the full wall of mirrors (a 3 piece set) in our dining room.
    Sure enough, it got broken either during demo of its ceiling, some other areas or when reframing. It was minding its own business and no one knows how it bit the dust (or no one has told me). The gc said he'll replace it, but it was old and may not be easily matched. I have a bunch of other old mirrors in storage, so will have to cobble something together until I get inspired.
    It was truly the only design element worth keeping in all the 60 years this house has been here and all the p.o.s! Figures.....

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago

Here's my inspiration dining room by Sarah Richardson.

• young-gardener
    13 years ago

binsd- The dining room belongs to the author of a blog called Life In the Fun Lane. Her name is Holly. Here is the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: inthefunlane

• B H
    13 years ago

young-gardener - thanks so much!

• sorriso
    13 years ago

jerseygirl, you may want to adjust your photobucket privacy settings. I clicked on your photo hoping for a larger view and could have had access to 80 pictures!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES