SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_10471126

Layering the bed

User
13 years ago

As you probably read, I'm having new button pillow shams made and bedskirt made into the large houndstooth like in this photo.

Inspiration photo

{{gwi:1894619}}

What the room looks like currently. You can see the new fabric as a mock up bedskirt. You'll have to imagine it on the button pillows too.

{{gwi:1894620}}

Curtains/paint:

Was planning on gold walls with dark brown curtains. Pal suggested recently I use gold curtains and a lighter gold walls and possibly add trim to the edge of the curtains. I really like this idea since I plan on adding variegated dark bamboo romans. I think it will help the wall from looking like a dark brown hole, iykwim. I keep coming back to Newhomebuilders curtains. Saw them in the store and liked the color and weight.

{{gwi:1894622}}

I'm still struggling trying to figure out how to layer this. My goal for the room isn't necessarily peaceful but rich/masculine.

You can't see very well thanks to the lighting in the inspiration photo, but the duvet on the bed is the floral fabric and this small houndstooth. I'm using the combination for a shower curtain in my bathroom. I wanted to show what that looks like because people keep referring back to the inspiration pic but really the lighting in the photo changes how the fabrics look. The green in the plaid almost looks black in the pic.

{{gwi:1581820}}

I'd say white on the bed IRL ties in better because of this. I like this but I'm not spending money on something that's not machine washable. Our main cover needs to be and also needs to hold up to our cats.

IRL this red coverlet looks like this. I can't get it to photograph right and it really bothers me for some reason. Color of the pillows.

{{gwi:1894623}}

One on right. Best photo I can show you and it's still off.

{{gwi:1894624}}

Here's an old photo when I was doing mock ups that shows the same coverlet in brown.

{{gwi:1894625}}

A bad photoshop showing both on the bed with the new fabric. Ha, if you skipped reading you'll be really confused at this one.

{{gwi:1894626}}

I know I'd like something fluffy folded at the bottom and like the combination of flat bedding, fluffy bottom best. What color fluffy? Tan, red, brown...all depends on the main blanket.

Thought maybe I could get this in a twin size to fold at the bottom. Brown/ khaki

{{gwi:1894627}}

{{gwi:1894628}}

I've discovered I don't care for stripes or the look of a down comforter as the main blanket. Reminds me of my sleeping bag. Don't want a duvet.

Jerserygirl mentioned pattern sheets. I like this idea. Like these but they're out of the queen. Haven't checked the stores though.

{{gwi:1894629}}

Also like these.

{{gwi:1894631}}

Tan as a main blanket doesn't seem to cut it. Machine washable camel color doesn't exist. I've been checking Marshalls etc. But camel color bedding.. then what for curtains? Gah!

I'm pretty sure I don't want to use a floral comforter because of the floral pillow and I think I'm about at my pattern limit for the room.

Thoughts?

I know it's what "I " like but so far nothing is falling into place. I haven't found much similar inspiration photos online. People keep suggesting RL but I can't find many photos. I keep thinking if I see something it will make that light bulb go off.

It's a pet peeve of my DH to buy 300 things and return them so I try to have an idea before I even go there.

Comments (79)

• jerseygirl_1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

If you wait a little longer, the down comforters will be on sale at Macy's. I have the one called Vail. It is a little on the heavier side so you really need to use it when it's cold. I would consider a lighter one, if you sleep on the warm side. It has had many, many, many washes due to my cats and I have to say it looks brand new. The down in the GBR is from Costco and is very good quality. I have not had to wash that one yet since the cats are not permitted in that room and it is rarely used since most of our company comes in warmer weather.

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Tina, your backhanded diss at me isn't working. I don't "believe" a picture perfect bedroom is what makes the room "special." Thirty-six years of marriage proves it. :) And btw, my husband LOVES our bedroom.

• Related Discussions

Black from Tula spotted fruit (and other issues)

Q

Comments (9)
    No, that's not normal for BFT.. you must have some disease or virus, where did you get the seeds for it? The BTD looks good except for support. I originally was reading your post and saw that 2nd pic & said, "Boy what a great job of supporting and pruning lower leaves to avoid disease" and then realized those weren't the tomatoes! hahaha
    ...See More

How do you layer your bed?

Q

Comments (26)
    Q: "So, is the matelasse up near your face? I am a person who pulls the covers up to my nose! It seems the matelasse would be uncomfortable/rough near your face?" A: Yes. In my pic above I have the light weight white quilt pulled almost all of the way up to the top. I fold my top sheet about 5" or so over the top of the quilt. Then comes (as in my above pic) my black and white floral quilt folded down to cover about 2/3rds of the bed but if I get cold I can reach down and pull it up. I put it on the bed all of the way to the top and then (hard to describe) I fold it down and then back up (accordion style) so that the top edge of the black and white quilt is at the top of the initial 1st fold. That way in my sleep I don't have to sit up to reach it - it's w/in arms length. Then folded in thirds at the bottom of the bed comes my feather down comforter stuffed inside the green duvet cover. Please note that in my pic above the feather down is not inside the duvet cover (was being cleaned) and that's why it just looks like a green folded blanket at the bottom of my bed. At almost any given time I have some version of this style on my bed but in different colors, weights, etc. I'm a bedding freak and I have tons!
    ...See More

Duvet question?? Bed layers??

Q

Comments (7)
    During the winter we have a heavy duvet and heavy duvet cover -- along with the usual sheets. Plus a satin comforter (I collect these old beauties) Then in summer heat (we live near Dallas) I remove the duvet (and its cover) and replace it with a light summer-weight comforter (Ralph Lauren' Sussex Gardens pattern) and a lightweight satin comforter is folded at the end of the bed. There is also a matching matelasse cover that can be used on really sticky nights too. We do have various duvet covers that I can use over the comforter for a different look too. The bed is always dressed with a mattress cover -- then the bottom sheet -- then the top sheet. In very cold weather we use a mattress warmer under the mattress cover (which is removed when the bedding is switched around in the spring) Oh! and at least one or two of the cats usually camp out with us each night too!
    ...See More

Layered cozy bed without a duvet/comforter

Q

Comments (16)
    I purchased a wool mattress pad that saved my sanity. Helps DH feel warm and keeps me cool. Never would have believed that possible! I have a sheet, empty duvet cover, and a quilt for DH on colder nights. The thought of flannel is making me break out in a sweat, right now! I've been revamping/testing our guest room and found it quite chilly during cold snaps with only a cotton blanket. I ordered a wool comforter from Amazon that fits into a clearance duvet from West Elm. I'm going to test it in the next few days, but I have high hopes that it will keep differing people comfortable just like the mattress cover on our bed. Tonight the low is 64 and Sunday it will be 39. I'll report back. DH won't be happy that I'm bunking in there again, but I've made a few discoveries that I need to address before our guests stay overnight. Gosh! I didn't even address the bohemian part! That just happens as you mix linens/pillows/covers between sets/rooms. This post was edited by alex9179 on Fri, Dec 26, 14 at 20:23
    ...See More
  • Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

Oh Oakley, stop it! No one is 'dissing" you.
    I don't normally get involved in these things but your paranoia over the slightest disagreement with you needs to stop now.
    Don't you care that people think your borderline crazy? That all posts you make are tempered with the "it's Oakley, we know how she is" ?

I know this has been pointed out to you many times, but let me add my two cents to the bunch and tell you it is YOU and not everyone else who is the issue.

You are a valuable contributor here...we are a family actually , and I like most of you a lot more than some of my own family. You are welcomed and appreciated but you need to change this behavior.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I know you don't want any more floral, but I just saw this quilt at Country Countrys and it kind of reminds me of the floral fabric you're using in your bathroom.

Laurie

• msrose
    13 years ago

Shee - forgot to mention it's machine washable :)

Laurie

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Our bed still has a body in it or I would snap a pic to show you what I mean. The coverlet would just be another layer at the bottom of the bed. Yes, the comforters are thick and plush, but adding a folded coverlet would look lovely folded at the bottom of the bed and will add another layer of both color and textural interest.

nanny2a - thanks for the sheet link. Just couldn't resist the paisley!

• work_in_progress_08
    13 years ago

Our bed still has a body in it or I would snap a pic to show you what I mean. The coverlet would just be another layer at the bottom of the bed. Yes, the comforters are thick and plush, but adding a folded coverlet would look lovely folded at the bottom of the bed and will add another layer of both color and textural interest.

nanny2a - thanks for the sheet link. Just couldn't resist the paisley!

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laurie - Thanks! That is pretty but I'm not feeling the blue. Their site is doing something weird right now.. I think it was the blue that wasn't working for me.

Work - My red coverlet might end up being a blanket folded at the end but I still think it looks really flat folded up. I have a thing with flat, lol.

Bumble - Where's your fur throw? :)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Laurie - Well the site's up again, ahem.. there's not a stitch of blue in that quilt. :) I was thinking of something else I saw today. I do like it but not sure I want to pair it with the other floral fabric on the bed. Thanks for thinking of me!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'll really try and post it tomorrow. I hadn't forgotten but dh had the week off and it's been busy.

I was hoping my new digital Christmas camera would be here by now but no.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have a white/ivory throw as well as the dark brown one.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumble - Thanks! I really want one of those now. Do you remember where you bought yours?
    I think I may have told you this before but I really like your room. The wreath(s) and plates are a different idea and I think it looks so nice.

• msrose
    13 years ago

I'm pretty sure I've seen the faux furs at BBB.

Bumble - I also adore your room, but then I also have a 4-poster bed and just added some toile transferware, so maybe that has something to do with it :)

Laurie

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Bumble, you may not have noticed but this particular poster is deliberately coming into every topic I post in and making a point to disagree with me. I've had enough of it, and I've begged her to stop but she won't. All you have to do is read any topic I've written or replied to and it's my post she points out in a backhanded way.

I just lost my dear brother and I'm not in the mood to have someone constantly "diss" my opinions.

But thanks for pointing out that everyone here thinks I'm borderline crazy. I'll take my leave now and that way this poster can no longer get away with what she's done to me the past few months.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Oakley -

First of all, I am sincerely sorry to hear about your brother. I do mean that. Having just gotten through our first holiday season without my mother, I can honestly understand how you must be feeling.

Secondly, please go back and reread my response in this thread. There was nothing backhanded at all. I responded to Shee and then specifically to you - by name. I simply gave my opinion on decorating a bedroom. I honestly feel that our homes should be decorated for US - the people who live there, who function there, not for other people to see. That is the only point I was trying to make.

Yes, I have told you before, you and I have very different views and very different decorating styles. And we do disagree often. But many others here disagree too. I would like to think we are able to do that here. It was never my intention to run anyone off, but that, of course, is your choice.

I refuse to turn this into a board argument, but I did want to try to clear the air and express my thoughts regarding your brother. I hope you will accept that.

tina

• Oakley
    13 years ago

Tina, I do accept it, and thank you. However, you were the one who told me in email to not reply to you online, so I didn't. Except you kept pointing out everything I said in such a subliminally (sp) way that only I knew what you were doing.

You find a way to point out & disagree with every opinion I have and never anyone else's. I told you that once and begged you to stop because I felt it was a game only you were playing with me.

Because of my mourning I'm in the "I don't give a crap" mode. lol.

I've never had a problem with people disagreeing with my opinions, but you do it each and every time. And you know what I'm talking about.

At least Bumble told me the truth as to how she and others feel about me. I had no idea.

In the future I'll keep silent, but to everyone else, please don't hesitate to disagree with me! :)

Shee, I love the idea of the red blanket to go at the end of your bed.

• natal
    13 years ago

Oakley, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother. Maybe now is not the best time to be posting on a decorating forum?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your brother too, Oakley. Do what you need to do to grieve, remember, heal.
    Everything I posted is only one persons opinion.

Thanks Shee! The throw is the oversized faux fur throw on Overstock. I liked it enough to buy two. It as been one of may favorite purchase this past year. The one shown is mink- a dark brown- my camera makes it look black and it's not solid though, it has subtle mink coloring. They are dry clean but I'm careful with them.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oakley - I'm sorry to hear about your brother.

Bumble - Thanks for the info. I just may order one. I'm trying to wait on doing anything until I get the new stuff on the bed.

So looking through the Front Gate catalog today I saw they have a deeper tan down comforter that's machine washable and on sale for $99.
    {{gwi:1894637}}
    Does it look shiny to you? Seems like every coverlet and down comorter has a sateen sheen. I like sheen, but not on everything.

Description
    "Experience all-enveloping warmth and easy care with our Washable Down Blankets & Throw. Substantial 600 fill power creates comfort in winter, and is also light enough for a cool summer evening. The Pyrenees white down naturally breathes, maintaining a comfortable temperature even as your body heat changes.

320 thread-count pure cotton cover
    Box stitching ensures down will maintain optimum distribution
    Made from Pyrenees white down
    Machine washable"

Is it normal or ok to use a down comforter as a main blanket without putting it in on a duvet? I have a poufy sleeping bag with squares and that's what a lot of these remind me of. I don't know how one would actually look on the bed. Plus, I have a lot of squares going on.

I'm still not sold on the duvet idea but I'd like something fluffier on the bed whether it's a blanket at the bottom on the main one. I've been reading lots about duvet covers wrinkling and it's very rare that I'll pick up an iron.

I know I'll need to wait to get the new stuff on but my wheels are still turning. I like the idea of red at the bottom folded but I also really like the brown faux fur throw like Bumble has.

My concern with going lighter as a main/top cover is it will blend in too much with my bedding and my wall. I know, I know.. I don't HAVE to use a gold color. I think if I end up with too many similar shades it might not look right.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

Between the red and browns you have shown, I still prefer the red. I think I would keep red as the main cover and then use a brown or tan folded at the bottom. If you can find one local, why not go ahead and get one of the fur throws and see how it looks with your red?

A down comforter is just that and doesn't have to be used inside a duvet. I personally don't like a duvet to be really poufy.

Without seeing it, not sure about the squares, but I think most down blankets or comforters are going to have some type quilting (stitching).

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

I'm so lost. Just from a quick glance I have to agree with Tina that the red cover (whatever it is) looks the best. I'm talking about your very first pic in this thread.

A down (or down alternative) comforter underneath it (instead of a blanket) would be my choice ... comfort factor being a high priority! A faux fur throw folded at the foot of the bed would probably provide a nice complimentary look with that houndstooth skirt.

• Valerie Noronha
    13 years ago

I agree with Tina, a down comforter can be used on a bed without a duvet; though any decent quality one will have the sqaures and boxed stitching as it keeps the down from shifting. Personally, I am a convert to down blankets/comforters for their warmth and lightness. It seems to adjust to both DH and my temperatures without one of us (meaning him) overly hot. My blanket has that sheen you mentioned, whereas my comforter does not. One thing to keep in mind, though, is the down feathers may come out. When I bought a down blanket for my mom on Overstock and was reading the reviews, I noticed that to be a common complaint so I'd check for that.

As you know, I also am a fan of the red; though you may feel differently come summer--which may give too much of a feeling of warmth.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I need to wait until I get the stuff on the bed. I just saw that earlier and felt chatty.

I'll admit though, the past few weeks I've been boarderline cold at night. DH on the other hand was saying about being too hot at the thought of something heavier. I'm not sure if he'd sweat with a down comforter or not. Before, with the mix match bedding I had to use another blanket just on my side and that's what I've been doing. If I kept the red (or whatever main cover) the one I fold at the bottom (maybe the fur) could be my extra cover at night. I'd like to find one that's not cheesy looking, big enough, and machine washable. I wonder if such a thing exists.

And I love my vellux but the tan one we're using now isn't made as well as my blue one. It's not the same brand either.

• natal
    13 years ago

(maybe the fur) could be my extra cover at night. I'd like to find one that's not cheesy looking, big enough, and machine washable. I wonder if such a thing exists.

Would 50 x 70 be big enough?

Here is a link that might be useful: BB&B faux fur throws

• natal
    13 years ago

And don't forget you can buy down or down-alternative comforters in different weights (meaning degree of warmth). I use a lightweight one year round. It's too bad you can't try one out before buying. I really think you'd both like it.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I noticed on the Overstock reviews for the ones I bought, a reviewer had washed hers several times. I plan on washing mine.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Natal - Thanks, I'll check out BB&B sometime next week when I'm out. I'm not sure about the size.

Bumble - Ahh, I see that now. I just realized you ordered the oversize one? What size is your bed?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh good grief... I see Laurie said about BBB and Bumble already said it's the oversize one. Sorry guys.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    13 years ago

I have a king bed.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

How about purchasing a down comforter/blanket (or down-alternative)and laying under it to see how it feels. Not actually sleep under it. Then if you don't like it, you could always take it back. I know alot of people swear by them, but we are not crazy about them. We're both warm natured and our climate is USUALLY (not this crazy winter!) too warm for them. I'm really a light weight blanket kind of gal (LOL). My favorite covering is actually a quilt. There are lighter weights in the down, but they are just not my favorite. Alot of people love them so if I were you, I'd give it a try.

tina

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

Instead of faux fur, how about a fleece blacket? It would have some texture, without being over the top. Penneys has some wonderful fleece blankets. I have one over the bottom of our bed in the winter. If I get chilly, I can pull it up, if I am warm it stays at the bottom. They wash up really nicely, which is a good thing since the cats love the texture of them. See the link below.

Here is my room, in the pic the reds look different, but they are not. There is too much light coming through the windows for the color to reflect properly. Hubby loves Southwestern styles; odd for our New England area. The room is earthy with wood blinds, tan sheers draped over, handmade pottery lamps and vases, two antique pieces from each side of my family (a rocker and a wheelchair), lots of wood, browns, greens, tans and reds. I do switch up sheets because I get bored of all the same stuff, but keep the comforter the same year round. Summer, the blanket is off the bed. I need more pillows on the bed.
    {{gwi:1894638}}

{{gwi:1894639}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Fleece blankets

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Bumble - Thanks!

Tina - I might do that. Either that or hop in a display bed at the store. :) jk

I honestly don't know why I'm letting it bother me so much that the color red doesn't look right, and IMO bad, in photos. IRL it looks nice and I know that should be all that really matters. A cover at the bottom would fix me being cold and keep DH happy.

Sandra - Is the one on your bed the one in the link? The texture (they're saying microfiber) in the link looks like it would be ok but we have a red fleece blanket, I think from Kohls, that I just can't stand because of the cat hair sticking. There's hair still on it after it comes out of the dryer. Using a lint roller is just pointless for this one. I swear it's a magnetic blanket and sucks the hair right off our cats. It's been since retired in the closet. I'll probably use a few dozen lint rollers on it and drop it off at the local thrift store. :)

I have to admit, I've always been attracted to the texture and look of faux fur but I've never owned anything with it. I think it can be overdone or not done right to begin with so I was always hesitant. I think it looks wonderful on Bumble's bed and I've seen a lot of photos online where it made me drool.

These two photos come to mind and make me want to jump in the picture and hug the pillows and throw.
    {{gwi:1894640}}
    {{gwi:1894641}}

• sandra_zone6
    13 years ago

No, the one on my bed is a discontinued Linden Street blanket, must be the plush though, not fleece as I mentioned in the link. Sorry! I checked the label and it is 100% polyester. I have same, but smaller, throws in my family room as well because if they are on the corners of the couches, the cats will go there to lie instead of the couch. They don't seem to attract cat fur, are mashine washable and haven't faded on me yet. While I was rechecking the link, I also saw a Linden Street Egyptian cotton blanket that Penneys has; smaller 'fluff', but textured. They are on closeout, only have a full or king available in the toffee color, but they are returnable.

Years ago we had a faux fur throw. Our cats had an embarrassing attachment to it, so we got rid of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Egyptian cotton blanket

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    13 years ago

At one time I had cotton blanets like those in the above link. None of my family thought they added warmth and were soon given away to someone who liked cotton blankets.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

This is from awhile back, but remember Tuesday Morning had some down and down alternative blankets? They were n y Natori? I bought one in blue and I think you had looked at them also when you were there.I would take one home, unfold it and see how you like it. Shee, there is no getting away from the box stitching on the comforters and blankets. Their purpose is to keep the contents from shifting. Some have channel stitching which you may like better, but you would have to search for those.As far as duvet covers, I know you are not a fan, but they really are a good option. It will keep the comforter clean since all you have to wash is the cover. I have two. One for summer and one for winter. I'm sure you can find a non iron washable somewhere.Plus, it will cover the shiny finish and the square boxes. I keep mine contained inside the cover with the comforter clips at each corner. It works well.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

The Company Store has wrinkle resistant duvet covers on sale! This is a good time of the year for white sales!I think this is your best bet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Company Store wrinkle resistant duvet cover

• natal
    13 years ago

Wouldn't the red cover in the first pic serve as a top dressing to the comforter? I have a quilt on top of my comforter with a matelasse coverlet folded at the foot of the bed.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sandra - "Our cats had an embarrassing attachment to it, so we got rid of it. "
    LOL
    Thanks for finding those blankets.

Thanks Kmcg.
    "It will keep the comforter clean since all you have to wash is the cover." But you still have to put the cover back in. I did see videos on youtube for the "easy way" to do this.

I would for sure want a non wrinkle one if I went that direction. A duvet still sounds like a pain because of the cover inside. I guess I won't know until I try one but I'm not sure if it will be worth the money or end up being something I can't stand. I'm just wondering if I'll have the tolerance for it. They should have them sitting out in the store so you can practice, lol.

Are you still thinking tan? Remember how it looked when I put my tan vellux on the top of the bed? I could've sworn I posted a photo of that (can't find it right now) just to show a tan color and I don't think it was enough contrast.

Natal - You mean have the red one actually spread out on the bed like it is now and the comforter underneath? If could be done that way but I'd have to fold it down at night because DH would probably be too hot. I want something folded at the foot of the bed also so I really would like the main blanket to be the one we cover with.

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Well, there is always SOME work, lol! How often do you think you need to wash the cover? IMO, washing the cover is a lot easier than washing the comforter or blanket. It really is not hard to put the cover back on. Turn it inside out, lay it flat over the comforter or blanket, grab the corners and turn right side out. Not bad and its not something that gets done too often anyway. I think you need to see how one works before making a decison. I love them because they are easy to clean and it keeps the comforter clean.

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lol, I know! I'm scratching my head how it could considered easier though when there's an extra step involved. ? I once tried to put the special protective cover over a foam pad for a bed... hahhahahaa. This doesn't sound as bad, and CAN'T BE, or people all over the world wouldn't do it.

I washed our coverlet 2 or 3 times since I bought it the other month. With the cats always on it I feel like I should wash it more than I do. Happy to say it's holding up well.

Can those clips go inside any duvet? I'm assuming I can find them at BBB or Target maybe?

• Kathleen McGuire
    13 years ago

Yes. BBB sells them.

• natal
    13 years ago

Natal - You mean have the red one actually spread out on the bed like it is now and the comforter underneath?

Yes.

If could be done that way but I'd have to fold it down at night because DH would probably be too hot.

That's what I do with our quilt. It's purely for "looks". I fold it down and drape it over the footboard. The comforter provides the warmth.

• tinam61
    13 years ago

I'm confused. You're gonna have to show us a picture Natal. I don't think I've seen a comforter under something.

I do the same thing with our main cover (matalase) it's pulled down each night and never used. Blanket and sheet are used.

tina

• natal
    13 years ago

Tina, don't understand your confusion. It's the same as what you do.

• saltnpeppa
    13 years ago

Leopard print!!
    I hope you can see this...took a picture out of a book that reminded me of your inspiration & mixing patterns.

A simple look with plaid and white...

Any progress, Shee?

Smiles:)

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Scooby!!

The shams and bedskirt are being made. I haven't bought anything else to try yet. I think I am going to go ahead and buy a new thicker curtain rod and get the bamboo shades in place. Then focus on the rest of the bedding, curtains, and paint. Still love that Overstock faux fur blanket but I see today the price is up.

I'm not sure I feel confident I could pull off leopard print in my room though, lol. I do think it looks good in the one above. Really LOVE both of those rooms. I think I love the 2nd pic a tad more with the white sheets and the plaid.

I have decided I'm going to move one of the hunt prints I had in the LR in this room. Remember this one?
    {{gwi:1765940}}
    I'm thinking either over the bed with maybe some plates or round, old landscape pictures I have or over DH's chest.

I think I'm going to mat and reframe the other one larger and keep in the LR as there's just not enough room to stack them right.
    Old pic, showing the other one.
    {{gwi:1610606}}

• allison0704
    13 years ago

The "experts" always say the larger frame should go on top.

Thought of you today in Target - they have animal fur throws. Weren't bad looking. Didn't stop to feel them or check price. Was in a rush.

• natal
    13 years ago

Like Allison, I thought of you the other day when we were at Kona Grill for happy hour. The larger window in the bar had two wooden blinds hung side by side. It looked a little odd, but maybe that's because the slats not lining up made it look off. Are you still thinking about using two shades instead of one?

• User
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Allison - That's what I thought of doing at one point but it just seemed too crammed. Now that I have the wing chair and round table against that wall and e.stand back om the main wall, I think I need larger art in general.

I still didn't get anywhere to look at throws. I'm sure I can find something cheaper but the size might not be as big. Does it "really matter" if it doesn't go down over the sides??

Natal - If I'm going to use romans at all I think I'm going to have to go with two because of the width. I'm sure I could get some nice custom one that works ok but I don't want to spend quite that much money.

I also said I wanted to raise the blinds the whole way up to the ceiling where I'm installing the rod but I've been considering just doing insides mounts. I'll need to figure this out before I buy anything since it will determine the size.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

I like them better on the end of bed if they don't go over the sides (or not very much).