SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Why is it so hard to find nice soapstone in Kansas?

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I just got back from a second round of shopping the local granite suppliers for nice soapstone. I have my heart set on the Cobra from M. Tex. My fabricator laughed out loud when I told him the materials cost (about $45 per square foot) and said I could do much better. He sent me out shopping locally again and it was awful on several counts. None of this will surprise anyone on this board.

1) The granite suppliers are CLUELESS about soapstone. I got the usual "it will etch" "it is high maintenance" baloney. The thing that was new to me is the "it is all just called soapstone" when I asked what kind they are showing me. I said to one girl "that is like saying this is all granite" about their hundreds of slabs of granite. Clueless.

2) The soapstone available locally is all very green and very very grainy / blotchy. I'm looking for very clean with some veining, no blotching at all, and grey, dark grey, or black. Two different salespeople told me that the green stuff will "turn black" over time. Is this true? I don't think so - I think the green stuff darkens to a darker green and the grey/black stuff darkens to a darker black.

3) I had two different people try to sell me slate instead of soapstone. I guess it does have a similar look, but my guess (not supported because I have done any research) is that it does not stand up to abuse like soapstone does. I truly pity the poor fool who makes any kind of decision based solely on what they are told by the granite suppliers.

I saw nothing I loved and little I liked a lot, so I'm probably going to choke on my checkbook and go for the Cobra.

Anita

Comments (6)