SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavitsky_gw

Advice on Kitchen expansion/layout

lavitsky
11 years ago

We're getting ready to break ground on an addition in the coming weeks. I've done a kitchen layout for the new space, and would like some feedback on the PDF I've attached - it was the basis for the architect's plans.

A few important details/notes:

The brown line around the kitchen perimeter was intended to illustrate the approximate location of a walnut inlay in the oak floor (to mimic the one in our house foyer/entry). We are debating whether to carry the hardwood through the hallway in the mudroom area.

I plan on a steam assisted oven like the KitchenAid KEBU208SSS, hence the need for a water line by the ovens.

There will be two warming drawers to the right of the ovens.

The large island uses two 15" wide cabinets, one standard height and one full height to create the back of the island and raised counter and then put two 30" full depth cabinets in back between them for storing items that are used only on special holidays (where it's labeled "Cabinet Below"). A valance/box on top of the 30" cabinets and some brackets and/or posts completes the support for the counter-top.

We're going to put a recycling center in the lower cabinet where the Mail/Gadgets station is currently located. My rationale is that people coming in our out of the house with a bottle in hand, or junk mail can quickly deposit it there.

The TV will be on a telescoping arm so it can be viewed from practically anywhere in the space.

We're pushing the dining room wall out 3' to enlarge the space.

We are planning on glass display cabinets above the warming drawers , and the only other display area will be the corner "Hutch" (which is really a bookcase type cabinet/open shelving). We're also debating if we should do display uppers around the cooktop as well.

The ceiling in the existing space will be 8', but in the new space it will vault from 8' to about 12' with a 4' flat section in the middle (the vault will be 9' on either side and then 4' flat in the middle). We're thinking of a contemporary chandelier over the table area and three pendants over each island with 4" recessed lights around the perimeter and through the hallway.

All comments/questions welcome.

Thanks!

-Eric

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!