SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lenzai

Small kitchen layout help (looking for Jakuvall)

lenzai
9 years ago

Hi GW!
I posted earlier this year when we just moved to the house and received some great advice on how I can best rearrange the small kitchen. Finally ready to take the plunge. Interviewing contractors last week and this week.
I've been TKO about my own kitchen for about 7 months and learned a lot from reading GW. Posting the current layout I came up with and looking for any additional advice.

Jakuvall - I commented on a thread about most efficient cabinet use and looking for some thoughts on drawers/vs not drawers for the cabinets flanking the range (and anything else too!)

General notes: currently just two of us, I'm main cook but husband does breakfast and we cook together sometimes and manage in this space. I've been cooking with less than 2/3s of my stuff (the rest is still packed away) and I don't miss most of it.
Planning on having kids in this house. We're not tall 5'5 and 5'8 and are used to small spaces (hence the small old house).
I like to entertain and have been able to seat 10 at the dining room table and make all the food in the space we have now. Not posting the original layout but it has a passage and walkway in place of the upper right corner. and there used to be a wall right below the door between kitchen and dining - that is coming down

Looking for: function over form; frameless cabinets, 9' ceilings so cabs going all the way up.
Plaster (just in kitchen) is being taken down to upgrade electrical and plumbing and lighting. Fridge will be counter depth.
Window, door and opening cannot be moved :( everything else is fair game.
The peninsula idea is a recent addition, gives a little extra prep space and a good place to put the microwave (drawer). No overhand or seating planned with it. I think it would look better w/out the peninsula but the extra space is tempting and necessary and gets the MW off the counters.
Thanks.

Kitchen - boxes are 6"

Kitchen and Dining - boxes are 12"

Comments (22)