SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Choosing a cabinetmaker...what to look for in past work?

artemis78
13 years ago

After a huge hunt, we've finally found a local cabinetmaker who can give us a great price (i.e., within our nonexistent budget---yay!) for the cabinets we want. I'm scheduling some visits to past clients to check out his work to make sure this actually makes sense to do, though. Need some help on what I should be looking at beyond the basic specs, which I'm comfortable sorting through at this point.

We're mixing frameless and flush inset face frame cabinets, so he's referring us to one kitchen of each style that used specs similar to what we've requested. I get the impression from his portfolio that he doesn't do many flush inset kitchens, so I'll be looking especially closely at that one.

So far, I know to check the tolerances of doors and drawers on the inset cabinetry, and to check the drawer boxes for quality construction. Our kitchen will be painted, though not sure if either of these kitchens is---but obviously if so, will check the quality of that work.

What else should I be looking for specifically? One kitchen uses the drawer slides we want so that should give me a sense of whether the shop can install them well, but beyond that I'm at a loss as to what (beyond the overall look/feel) I should be checking for. What are key indicators of quality cabinetry vs. less experienced shops?

TIA for any help/advice on this. The kitchens are 45+ minutes away and he's scheduling visits with the owners, so I want to make sure I don't forget to look at anything!

Comments (5)