SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisaa007

Finish choices for cabinet interior - pics please

lisa_a
14 years ago

I thought there had been a relatively recent thread on this topic but I did a search and looked back 35 pages and didn't see it so perhaps I dreamt it.

We're having new cabinets built, frameless with full overlay. Our current plan is to have one section of uppers go to the ceiling (9' ceiling) with the top row fitted with glass doors for display (it's already wired for lighting). The other sections will be 42" tall cabs with molding to the ceiling. These will be painted BM Hush.

The lower cabs, island and hutch will be quartersawn red oak. The hutch's top will be glass doors and shelves with lighting (already wired).

Our cabinetmaker lines cabinet interiors with melamine, which is fine with us. Some of our current cabs have white melamine, the rest have particle board, which has raised welts wherever water hit the wood even though it was coated to prevent that. Yeah, right. We like the brightness of melamine interiors, plus it's easy to clean and there's no worry about water damage.

What I'm not sure about is what color melamine? Do we stick with white for all cabinets except for the display section of the hutch, which will be quatersawn oak? Perhaps an off-white? And what about the display area at the top of the one section of painted cabinets? It would look funny to have quartersawn up there.

I think I'm leaning towards choosing a color close to our paint color choice but this is a whole new area of decision making for us so I'm not sure.

Photos of the insides of your cabinets would definitely help me.

TIA!

Comments (2)