SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarah_stewart910

Cabinet Design Choices--Opinions? (Pics)

10 years ago

Hello! After months/years of dreaming, we suddenly seem to be hurtling at top speed toward our kitchen remodel. (Hooray! Egad!) I am feeling pretty confident that the layout will work well for the way I cook. But, I am having trouble deciding between some options for the upper cabinet run. Here is the basic layout to give you the context:

The dining room door is where everyone comes and goes. Our proper front door is thoroughly neglected. So, my first thought was to drop a bookshelf down to the countertop to create a little visual barrier when you first walk into the kitchen. I can picture tucking the toaster oven behind there. But, I worried that one shelf looked a little out of place. Here it is, OPTION 1 (sketched without the island):

A friend suggested I balance it out with a bookshelf to the left of the range hood--nice idea! I can't drop that one down to the counter because it is snuggled up next to the range. So, I could have one up, one down, or ditch the visual barrier idea and keep both shelves at counter height. Of course, I lose symmetry around the range hood. OPTION 2:

And, just for reference, here is a rendering with no shelves and with a stand-in for the island, and a picture of the fridge wall.

Obviously, the bookshelves will be wood and full of books, not grey. So, imagine them filled with classic cookbooks (Thanks Mom.) Thank you so much for your reactions, advice, OPTIONS 3, 4 and 5....whatever comes to mind will be most welcome. The cabinet order is soon and so final! This is our forever house.

Comments (23)