SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Marble lovers, some information please...

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

First, true confessions: the marble is for a bathroom, but there just isn't as much traffic over there so I'm posting here, too.

I am doing my girls' bath w/ marble basketweave on the floors and subway on the wall with a band of marble accent pieces around the top of the wainscoting.

I have been trying to figure out what counter material to use. I LOVE the carrara marble on the floor and it would look dynamite on the vanity, but that is pretty expensive for a kids' bath and also I read lots of things about etching and staining that worried me.

I went today to look at my fabricator's boneyard. He is trying to clear it out and rather than paying the garbage guys to haul it away, he said I could have anything in there free and he'd just charge me fabrication and installation.

When i walked in, the first thing I saw was a beautiful piece of marble staring at me. It looks gorgeous, perfect! with my floor tiles.

He will charge me only $400 total to fabricate and install a 5' double vanity. That seems like an amazing deal to me, as I paid over $700 for a 36" vanity for another room installed.

What is the marble etching / staining like to live with? I'm a soapstone kind of gal; I don't mind imperfect looking materials as long as they're beautiful. I won't fuss over a ding or scratch here or there, but I don't want them to ruin it with nail polish or toothpaste or whatever.

Should I have it honed? All my other materials are non-shiny (either matte or honed) and I'm a non-shiny gal, so I know I'd love it honed looks wise. One granite guy told me today that if it is honed, it cannot etch. (in other words, he was saying that etching means the shiny surface comes off in one spot, and that honing takes the shiny surface off overall.)

I'm really tempted to go for it but need a reality check on what marble is like to live with on a countertop.

Anita

Comments (14)