SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dakota01

Are Magnolia prints 'out of style'

13 years ago

I have 3 beautiful magnolia framed/matted prints by B. Sumrall that I cannot use in my new home. I was thinking of listing them on ebay or craigslist. Just not sure if they are useable/saleable any longer.

Do people still use them in their decorating scheme? Is there a market for them? They are probably 15 years old but still look brand new.

Comments (61)

• 13 years ago

LOL indeed!

Something that Magnaverde said a while back has stuck with me. It's about this whole "dated" thing, and what he said was that people really (usually) mean when they say "dated" is "out of fashion." If you don't follow current fashion and trends, then who cares? But, sometimes, what they really mean when they say "dated" is that something is ugly. Then the only question is, to whom?

• 13 years ago

Actually, this brings to mind my glass frog thing I have in my kitchen! Is it fashionable? No, not really. Especially not for a 26 yo. But I love it anyway!

From 2010-10-03

• Related Discussions

Are wallpaper borders out of style?

Q

Comments (46)
    Ottertail, Do you love the border and is it something that will add to your enjoyment? I think you home is your castle and it should be decorated for you and your family's enjoyment. Here's my own "It's Out of Style" faux pas: My DH and I recently built and moved into a new home. I used brass for my door hardware (balwin brass), my kitchen hardware and my lamps (vintage stiffel)/lighting (waterford). I love the warmth of brass (not the yellow, shinny, fake stuff) and I love how it fits in with my tradtional decor. Now, I'm sure there are some who would walk in my home and say to themselves (and a few even out loud), "Why did she put out of style brass in her new house?" While others would say, "I love that you went with the brass" and would admire me for going with what I like. My friends like me for who I am and appreciate the fact I beat to my own drum. Bottom line, brass is what was right for me and my family. Add the border! Get on the bandwagon! Start decorating to your own beat! P.S. I used chrome fixtures in my bathrooms:-0 They look perfect with my silver vanity pieces, but that's another story for another post.
    ...See More

Is decorating with words and quotations going out of style soon?

Q

Comments (71)
    Auntjen, I have a Victorian (I think?) set of prints and one of them says "Bless this home" even though I don't like the idea of God singling anyone or anything out to bless. I love that type of needlework sampler you posted! Not an instructional sign, but I have this up in my kitchen from my funny great Aunt Alice. My 6 y.o. must have just noticed it the other day because she read it, and then asked, "Mom, are you a half-fast cook?" I told her I was!
    ...See More

Are these “1930s” style prints?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hello everybody!! Valerie; you did not steer me wrong! I appreciate all the info everyone has shared. This is all fun! Your Swoon Quilt is on my list! Jennifer, thank you for the very kind offer, but I am trying to downsize my sewing room. I’m sure I have enough proper fabrics, without using the dots, for the three blocks. I’ll repeat some of them if necessary. I drove 40 miles, one way, to Hobby Lobby yesterday. They had one 1930’s fabric. :( They did have a bolt of Kona Black, (!) and I bought 1/3 yd. of Kona “Cardinal” for February’s block. That was the only “red” they had. They did have a “burgundy,” but it was too brown to be a true red. I also picked up bright solids in yellow, orange, and green to fill out my colors for our May blocks so, all in all, it was not a wasted trip. I also dropped off 40 items at a thrift store; and gave a friend 22 hard cover books that I no longer wanted - but she did! (Janet Evanovich’s “Plum” series. Thet started out great and evolved into tedious.) and then ate at a Chinese buffet. Today, I hope to fire up the cute little Bernina and sew!
    ...See More

What to do with out of style St John knits

Q

Comments (42)
    The thrifts and charities are taking the name brand items and listing them for almost new prices in some cases. That's not really a concern for me though. My main goal is getting items reused rather than thrown in the landfill. Personally I don't have the patience to sell my stuff, the small amount of money I'd get from it is not worth it. I'd rather just give it away to anyone who will happily take it. As far as charities go, it completely depends on what your priorities are. I don't donate to Salvation Army because I don't like their politics, and Value Village is for-profit (but I might give stuff to these places if Goodwill rejects it, which happens when they're too full). Goodwill had some bad press lately, but they are not all the same. They operate independently and have their own territories. The Seattle ones are really good-- I just bought an Eileen Fisher cashmere sweater there last week. I also love our local goodwills because they send unsalvageable items to the proper recyclers (textile recycling, computer equipment, etc). They partnered up with the city to keep that stuff out of the landfill.
    ...See More
  • 13 years ago

Love the frog, Krycek!

I collect pigs. ;)

I agree--if you like art or any style in your home, who cares what anyone else thinks?

• 13 years ago

Jeannie, I'm curious to know why you cannot use the magnolia pictures in your new home? Is it because you do not like them or because you think they may be out of style?

Since some people think that magnolias are *dated*, I wonder what other flowers are dated? Is there a list somewhere that those who wish to be trendy (or avoid being trendy) could consult? How does one determine this? Not trying to be argumentative but I'd really like to know.

I've never thought of art in this way altho thinking back to what my DM had on the walls of my childhood home I can see that much of it would now be dated. I wish I had some of it as it's old vintage, maybe antique, and possibly once again stylish or at least valuable.

I do have a framed inlaid wood picture of Mad Ludwig's castle that I bought in Europe 30 years ago that I might consider dated altho I still like it and sometimes hang it. Or because it likely was never trendy perhaps it cannot be dated? I think that may be a Magnaverde 'rule'. Of course I'm sure there are some who would not value the intricate workmanship and would consider it ugly.

I wonder if all my artwork might be considered dated as I have no contemporary art of any kind. Everything I have is quite realistic and could probably have been done at any time in the last hundred years or more. Interesting, I've never considered this before. Or perhaps it's only mass-produced art that goes out of style?

• 13 years ago

Art? Dated?? Who knew!
    I guess it could only be dated if you bought it because it was "trendy" and not because it was "good art" or you really loved it.
    Are you suggesting that the oil by an unknown 19th century Dutch artist I bought at auction 30 years ago is dated??
    Linda C

• 13 years ago

I wouldn't think the art itself could be dated, but agree with deedee99 and palimpests who said it's how it's framed that makes something look dated or out of fashion.

Of course, if it's a Monet or a Van Gogh I wouldn't want to change out the frame to make it more current, but art that is more trendy or commerical in nature can look dated in trendy frames - I had a large floral print in the 80's that was framed in a mauve shiney plastic frame. It was so cool and looked wonderful over my cotton sofa in my first apt back in 1984....

• 13 years ago

Bumblebeez is simply answering the question that was posed, and I think she is correct. Most anything that was trendy 15 years ago is not trendy now.

Palimpsest said it best in another thread and I wish I had saved it. It was sometime like "this decorating scheme is not yet old enough to be in style again." (But her version of it was more pithy.)

• 13 years ago

Regarding Palimpsest, you mean "his" version was more pithy!

• 13 years ago

I guess I've never been IN style because I have never had to reframe a piece of art because the frame or mat went OUT of style. But, then, I don't purchase art to match furnishings. I looked, and some of B. Sumrall's magnolia prints are very pretty, and I think could be used today, but some are too iconic and only make me think of that ubiquitous Waverly print from the late 90s(?). And, yes, one I found had a mauve mat.:(

Dee

• 13 years ago

It is about the mass production of "art" that makes things dated. There are many pieces that you can look at and know almost exactly when it was made (and not in a good way). How many of us proudly display ducks with blue or mauve scarves?
    How about a spray painted vase in seafoam and peach with sparkles on it?
    Some things were never truly art to start with but were merchandise.
    I loved the classic angel oil paintings, but those got trendy a decade or so ago and that ruined it for me. If I owned an original, that would make a huge difference, but reproductions can be as overplayed as a top 40 hit in summer ;)

• 13 years ago

How about that one with the berries in the basket. with a weathered wood frame. I fell prey to that one. I think it is the only piece or artwork I ever got rid of because it was dated.

My only defense is I bought it at an auction for $5. :)

• 13 years ago

Boop:
    I know exactly which one you mean! It hung in my doctor's waiting room for 15 years or more. They moved and thank goodness they left that behind.:

And, dinalo, merchandise is a perfect way to describe it.
    Dee

• 13 years ago

I agree with dianalo about the mass production of "art" playing into the notion of datedness. I am right this minute thinking of a certain mall home decor store that carries such mass-produced "art" (I realize this will sound snobbish, but I don't always think of that stuff as "art" - more as home decor), and it's easy to spot this stuff in someone's home and know where it came from and approximately when it was produced. I have seen a lot of this stuff framed in resin frames that are designed to look like ornate wood.

Is this stuff "bad"? Not if you love it. It is what it is though. I don't think it's timeless or monetarily valuable by any means, but if you enjoy living with it then it's worth every penny and worth hanging onto.

• 13 years ago

I have said "this decorating scheme is not old enough to...be in style again, and ...to be appreciated in a historical or retro sense" things like this.

But I have also said that imo, no individual item, color, element goes out of style or becomes d----, but that *combinations of things, colors, elements are what go out of fashion.

Some art that does get a lot of exposure tends to fall out of favor: How much Patrick Nagel do you see around lately?

{{!gwi}}

The B Sumrall prints, aren't exactly Audubon, but they aren't as period referential as the Nagel:
    {{!gwi}}

I looked and found a couple of Framed prints for sale and they did look a bit '80s to me (even though they are mid '90s): mauve mats, shiny painted metal frames; but I still think as a basic picture of a flower--how can that be so pigeonholed? I dunno. They really aren't my thing and there is something kind of 80s-90s pastel-y about them, but I don't think they need to be relegated to the basement. And I would imagine that people who have Original Nagels, hang them proudly as opposed to the ubiquitous posters that Miami Vice-sters had hanging in their apartments.

I wasn't laughing at bumblebeez' opinion about this, but at the vehemence with which it was stated. I just can't get worked up about things like this. I often contribute to threads like this multiple times because I think the culture of it, or the sociology behind it is really interesting: how tastes and trends are driven.

• 13 years ago

Yes, I hear what y'all are saying, Dee, Di, and Boop! I too, handed over my angel prints to a neighbor who adored them and didn't give a flying fig if they were showing up everywhere you turned around. I didn't think of them as "dated," but the mass production element registered with me and bothered me enough to pass them on.

Still have my berries in the basket! Bought it for my first house 15 or more years ago & I still like it, so I have it in my den at this house. Boop, I do realize that print also become rather ubiquitous, but it also felt kind of classic to me so I held onto it. I have sort of "folk art-inspired" art in my den, so to me, it works in there.

My house is probably full of dated artwork (some of which I've paid good money for recently, lol!) Ignorance is bliss. If no one had told me the berries were dated, I wouldn't have known!

• 13 years ago

Sorry for the gender confusion, Palimpsest.

Now I have another Pal-ism to savor: "period referential," a non-judgmental substitute for "dated."

It's akin to one of the HGTV stager's use of "taste specific" for artwork and decor she wants to get out of a house that's going up for sale.

• 13 years ago

Some of my dated artwork, including the berries! This is all in the den. Bought the floral framed in red a few years ago. Just bought the bunnies last year!
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

• 13 years ago

that is it! I love the bunnies. You make it work Stinky!

Wasn't that the point for the OP. that the magnolias are only dated if you can't make them work? You gave a good example Stinky.

• PRO
    13 years ago

I find this subject fascinating to no end. As the owner of a home decor store, trends are what sell in wall decor (I said wall decor, not art!). I remember when I opened, pompously telling a rep I did not want anything to do with wine, Buddha, coffee or Paris and nothing with the words family, love, home etc. I had enough of it in the last 5 years. Guess what customers were looking for.

• 13 years ago

I bought a used dining room set in the 80's and included with the set was a huge framed print of a close-up magnolia, it was very "in" then and I think that's what people mean when they say it's dated. It became extremely popular to the masses. I do think they would sell well on ebay though.

I am currently living in a rental condo in Florida and there is a huge black and white framed poster of calla lilies, also very popular.

The artist I'm linking below has original paintings of flowers of a similar mood but they are something else in person, I've seen them and I could have those in a heartbeat.

Here is a link that might be useful: Benyei's orchids

• 13 years ago

The context of the question was are they still being used in decorating schemes?
    I don' believe they are seen too often in decorating magazines, which is a fairly good stab at what's in style and what's not.

Catalogs, on the other hand, run the gamut of out of date to trendy. Touch of Class carries lots of dated looks, Pottery Barn is trendy.

I think people want validation that what they like is not dated and frankly, it's just not always the case. It's better to accept what captivates you, make it yours and
    not worry that it is out of style. It takes decades for things to become classics anyway.

In a few years, maybe ten, bird prints and all the bird paraphernalia will certainly be out of style. However, Audubon prints and the like, framed classically, will not be out of style because they're classics.

I don't know why so many people get hung up on stuff going in and out of date/style. It happens with everything. Most of us own mass produced stuff and although certain high quality items might remain cool, it's unlikely with most stuff.
    I've been around long enough to not want to repeat clothing I wore the first time around: gaucho's, wallabies and tie dye to name a few only because while they are now in style, I don't like them.

• 13 years ago

What no one has mentioned is the popularity of art/wall decor based on geographic location. The Magnolia is the state flower of Miss. so it's definitely in style and seen in a lot in artwork there.
    I've never cared for the pastel version of Magnolias but IMO a painting showing the true colors of any flower is classic. As pal pointed out, the frame and mat can make or break any art piece.

BTW, I love that print of the berries in the basket! Came close to buying it but it didn't fit my decor. If I had a country themed room or home, it'd be there!

• 13 years ago

Boop, that's sweet of you to say! Those bunnies make me smile every time I see them. I'm not drawn to much in the way of "cutesy" things, but those two little guys are an exception. I like them in the room (& with the berries!) Thanks.

Deedee, yes, I use the term "artwork" rather loosely! "Wall decor" more appropriately describes much of what I own, and all of what is pictured above!

I can relate when you say, "I did not want anything to do with wine, Buddha, coffee or Paris and nothing with the words family, love, home etc." I don't own a shop, but I don't want anything to do with any of the above either! Granted, if someone loves any/all of the above they should indulge themselves, but many of the mass produced, "themes" are sillier than ever imo!

Bumblebeez, very, very well said! I love bird prints, & always have. I favor the classic audubon reproductions or others of that ilk, but some of the newer birdy stuff is charming to me if it evokes the mood of vintage birdy stuff. I agree that these items will lose mass appeal eventually. I do wonder though if the classic bird prints will appear passe when today's birds fly from the scene. For me, it won't matter...I've loved them forever and always will!

You make excellent points. It's not really either or, but both and. Yes, art or (wall decor especially!) goes out of style...AND...does it really matter as long as you enjoy it?

• PRO
    13 years ago

Just because I tire of a look doesn't mean I don't like it. I haven't met a decor trend that I couldn't imagine somehow working in my own home. I have always loved keys and they have been a trend. Same with birds and botanical photographs.
    I love hearing the reason people are drawn to a piece. I had a dentist buy an Eiffel Tower because he has fond memories of going to dental school there in the 70's. He was not looking for trend.
    Stinky, I am tickled with your folk art. I have always gravitated towards it. I brought in some inexpensive canvases of the folk art that was so popular in the 80's and customers love it. If it was expensive and/or framed, not so sure how it would do. Right now price rules and canvas prints are "popularly" priced. I'm just glad that I can see people daily (and talk to you guys) who care about their home.
    kyrcek - frog thing cracks me up!

• 13 years ago

Stinky, I love all that vintage bird stuff right now but have not bought a single bit of it. I am drooling over wood beds with bird finials though. I think I will always love it.

• 13 years ago

There's a huge difference between what is art and what is home decore.
    Art never goes out of style. Home decore changes with the times. It's mass produced, done inexpensively and has a limited shelf life.
    There does come a point when the mass produced stuff falls into a kind of odd place. It doesn't become any more valuable or stylish but it kindles in us fond memories of times past of eras gone by. It gets a second chance at being functional because of the memories it creates not because it it has any real historic value.

• 13 years ago

I never once thought of my magnolias being outdated. In the south, they are a classic! I have a very nice large framed Botanical print in my dining room and would never think of getting rid of it.

• 13 years ago

Deedee, thanks!

Bumblebeez, I haven't bought any of the new birdies, but I do have a couple of contemporary butterfly prints & a "transitional" botanical. All three are by Chad Barrett, mass production artist extraordinaire!

A bed with bird finials sounds too cute for words. Any pics of it?

Newhomebuilder, absolutely! Annz was also pointing out artwork's regional symbolism, and I agree that in the south a magnolia is iconic. It represents grace, beauty, and southern charm! I bet yours is absolutely perfect in your dining room & I'm sure you get lots of compliments on it.

• 13 years ago

Thanks!

• 13 years ago

As deedee99 said, there's a difference between "art" and "wall decor". Wall decor is usually bought to fill up a space with a certain color or theme. Art is bought because the subject matter feels personal to you and speaks to you.

There is some crossover, but it's usually in an intentionally ironic manner. Andy Warhol's Campbell soup cans make fun of mass popularity of "decor".

It's similar to what a friend of mine did. He has a fabulous loft overlooking the river with all modern white terrazzo floors, black leather furniture and art gallery white walls. The only "color" in the place are masses of paintings on black velvet (yes, plenty of Elvis there!) hung gallery style en masse. It's overwhelmingly ugly and beautiful at the same time. Individually, the paintings are some of the worst of pop culture "decor". Together en masse, the whole thing becomes an artistic pop art commentary.

• 13 years ago

My hallway: one or two would say something different than 20 (and more to come)

• 13 years ago

The OP wanted to know if there is a market for the magnolia prints. Yes, there is a market for almost anything. The price you get for them may not be what you'd like but that's the way things are because, yes, things go in and out of style. What's hot today might be ice tomorrow.

I agree with many that art should not be bought to match the decor of a room but it happens and then you want to get rid of it. Sell.

• PRO
    13 years ago

Palm, I have been meaning to tell you I adore your foyer. You are so brave. The art...I mean wall decor....I mean art.....oh heck....your collection is fab.
    Coincidentally you all, I came home early and Steel Magnolias was on. I just turned it off-the sad part is coming up. A movie that never goes 'out of style'.

• 13 years ago

This must be horribly dated, but I actually kind of like it. I'm a freak, though. What do I know?

• 13 years ago

Guys, all I can think of is what Nate (from the Nate Berkus show) said the other day about going to thrift shops and picking up things for a few bucks here and there, and then turning them into something that makes your heart sing. If they go in your house, and you love them, paint the frames or see about doing something to them that makes them pop on your wall. If you don't love them, sell them and move on. I LOVE flowers, and I LOVE pictures of flowers. I'll bet they could be really wonderful with a different painted frame of some sort...

Here is a link that might be useful: Silk Flower Arrangements for Home, Office, Weddings

• 13 years ago

Floralxprt, don't even think about being nice and chatty with us & then go try to sell us something. That's not charming, and it's not allowed here either. Guess we're supposed to save money & buy decor at thrift stores so we can plunk down more cash on fake floral arrangements? No thanks. Happy New Year!

• 13 years ago

Pal, that's almost menacing with the black background you chose! It's strangely compelling though. Sort of a cross between American Gothic Japanamation and Norman Rockwell alien abduction. :)

• 13 years ago

Fascinating and works wonderfully in the stairwell, but a possibly different dynamic in a guest room crosses my mind... :)

No opinion on OP's mass prints, but I do have a large luscious oil of a gardenia flower and bud set among deep rich, green shadows that has never gotten old to me. The artist did a lovely job even if the title indicates she thought she was painting a magnolia (not much of a gardener, apparently).

• 13 years ago

Pal, you've heard the saying, "that's so bad, it's good" - ? Well - that's so "bad", it's fab! (Seriously, it isn't "bad" - but you know what I mean. I hope. ;-))

• 13 years ago

Don't you think my bunnies & berries are so bad that they're fab too, AJ? LOL! I mean, they are quite avant garde, yes?

• 13 years ago

LOL, Stinky! Actually, I think your bunnies and berries are just terrific! They remind me very much of the decor I grew up with as a child (early American-country-antiques) and to me, they aren't so much dated as they are timeless. I'd love to see more photos from you ... I don't think I can remember you posting many pics here before (?)

• 13 years ago

Sort of a cross between American Gothic Japanamation and Norman Rockwell alien abduction.

I always see Modigliani when I see Pal's foyer. I mean like, Modigliani enters the Twilight Zone....

• 13 years ago

Yes, the placement of these in a non-living space is key. I don't think that they would work in a room you spent a lot of time in. I bought the first set of small ones as a joke for someone, but found that I was compelled to keep going. For kitsch they are actually quite well done. (I do have some that I just can't put up). The other thing is that the rest of the apartment is pretty classical Greek Revival and traditional art.

My parents have a reproduction of Renoir's "On the Terrace" in a guest room and my niece has always covered it with a sheet when she sleeps there, because of the eyes.

• 13 years ago

My grandmother was an artist. At some point, she'd painted a copy of La Tour's St. Sebastian on his deathbed, complete with a knife in his chest. It hung in the guest room in which I was require to sleep as a child. Fortunately, sleepovers were few and far between.

• 13 years ago

This conversation was just fascinating to me. I think the poster should indeed sell the prints if they do not appeal to her or her current decor. Are magnolias dated? Seriously? I'm a native of MS, transplanted to the East Coast almost 30 years now. I have 3 beautifully matted and framed prints in my home. They "grace" the rooms where they hang. The "things" in my home are a reflection of who I am and what I love. As such, things can only become outdated when I cease to be. As we approach the new year, I'm hoping that my time to cease is a ways off yet.

Happiest of New Years, ya'll.

• 13 years ago

Another southerner here with a different perspective. While I love the magnolias in our yard, and during the holdiays I use fresh magnolia greenery, I do not care for magnolia prints. I should say, mass produced magnolia prints. A vintage botanical print would be a different story.

Then again, I haven't caught on to decorating with starfish either.

tina

• 5 years ago

Most of these comments are absurd. Yes, Sumrall's style is decidedly bold and wouldn't fit in certain situations especially because of the colors she favors- but is this different for any work of art? For those who would ever choose to use the word 'outdated' because of someone ELSE's taste, opinions, or comments, I will only say that, sadly, ciphers are no more than Eloi so start to think for yourself. The wall in my home that one of her works sits on is now majestic and interesting; it was a wasteland before. 'Nuff said.

• 5 years ago

You do realize you've resurrected an 8-year old thread, right? Ancient history.

• 5 years ago

Comments,
    as ideas, don’t expire because of the clock or calendar. We continue to listen
    to Bach after 300 years for just this reason. This is what you think about on a
    Sunday afternoon in the summer?愚蠢的忙碌的人!

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor