SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

Wow gets in your eyes

palimpsest
11 years ago

So, I am renting an apartment in my complex in the interim between moving out prior to closing and moving into the house I want to live in.

It's two nicely proportioned rooms, 12 foot ceilings, leaded glass windows (all) including a Palladian window in the bedroom with pocket sashes that slide up into the wall; quarter sawn woodwork in the LR (probably throughout but painted in the BR); and a long low fireplace of thin horizontal brick surrounded by a colonial revival mantel--very modern in 1899.

There are also the typical mean little bathroom from the 1965 conversion and a recently redone kitchen.

This is one of those apartments that shows well completely empty, and is very memorable.

I am not looking at this as a buyer, nor even as a long-term renter so I didn't pay the same bit of attention that I might have under those circumstances, but the wow factor definitely made me miss some things, that I don't care so much about over the short term but that could affect a sale.

Many of the outlets don't have plates and some of them appear that it would be hard to put a regular plate on because of some obstruction. The light in the closet doesn't work at all, and the switchplates have mostly been carefully decoupaged with magazine clippings (not bad, just unusual). The light fixture in the bedroom and bathroom are just not nice. I am picky about this normally and tend to want to take out whatever's there anyway.

The kitchen is IKEA, and there are no fillers at the places between the cabinets and the wall. No undercabinet lighting at all, and the current wallcolor, while not bad by itself, makes the countertops look pink.

The work that the previous owners did on the unit is an interesting combination of well thought out solutions to problems and completely ignored problems. He is an architect so some of the solutions were rather ingenious: He used baseboard with a simple ogee combined with a piece of shoe mould, all oak, to create a nice simple flat casing that worked with the LR casings --but then left the old battered painted casings on the other side of the opening. I don't think the painted woodwork was ever repainted by the last several owners. Closet doors were taken down and replaced with curtains or left open but all the existing hardware and holes remain. Some of this ended up because of budget, I'm sure: architects make very little money generally.

I am just surprised that at my end that the flaws were not the things I noticed first. Which is generally the order I process in--bad stuff first, then look at the positives.

Comments (12)