SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

If you have a bookshelf or shelf over your fridge...

artemis78
13 years ago

...would you mind sharing the height and depth of your shelf?

It's looking like we'll have an adjustable shelf over our refrigerator so that in the future a taller refrigerator could be put there without modifying the cabinets (ours will be super short as fridges go). We're going to stack the adjacent upper cabinets, so I'm thinking there will be a shelf with a cabinet on top of it.

So I have two questions:

- We can make the over-fridge shelf 15" high or 18" high (minus the shelf itself, so usable height is a bit less than that), with a cabinet on top of it in either case. Going with a taller shelf is slightly better layout-wise because it means we get 33" high uppers in the adjacent run v. 30" (assuming we align the uppermost row of cabinets, and it seems like we should)---but 18" seems like an very tall bookshelf, given that the tallest cookbooks we have are only 10" high.

- Also, having a 24" deep bookshelf seems a little nuts, too, since wouldn't the books get pushed back into it? Would it make sense to have a 12" deep box sitting there rather than just a shelf, so that there's some dead space behind it but the books wouldn't be pushed backwards?

If you've gone the shelf route, how tall/deep is your shelf? Would you change it, or does it work for you? Also curious to know what kinds of things people store there other than books. (We're pretty well covered on the trays/cookie sheets/little-used bowls/etc. front, which is what I might otherwise stick there.) Thanks!

Comments (6)