SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauraa_gw

A little OT, I need to buy a new mattress

lauraa
16 years ago

Last year hubby and I moved to Connecticut. Right before we moved we bought a new bedroom set including new mattress set. We bought a Sealy Influence and it is rock hard. I got very used to it once I bought a really thick mattress topper. Hubby hated it. So, when we moved back home to Tennessee, we gave the mattress set to our 14 year old son.

We, two weeks ago, bought a Select Comfort mattress set and I HATE it. My body has ached since then, especially my neck/shoulder area. I called Select Comfort yesterday and told them to come and get the bed. Now I have to find a new mattress set. I went to a local mattress store that carries several brands and really, really liked a Simmons Beautyrest Black.

I have done some research and found that a lot of pillowtop mattresses can get indentions. The Beautyrest Black has a latex topper and that is supposed to be the best and you should not get indentions.

So, if you have bought a new mattress recently please help me out. We don't want a really firm bed but we also don't want anything that is way to soft. We also do not like the Tempurpedic type beds. We do not like the memory foam.

Thanks!!!!!

Comments (24)

• klinger
    16 years ago

Since I sell mattresses I can tell you that all pillow top mattresses will get indentations, the more padding the larger the impressions. We are creatures of habit and where your torso is you will get a slight wow. The warranty on that Beauty rest is likely if it compacts or compresses more than 1.5 inches then that would be considered defective. Beauty rests are wonderful beds, if you don't want indentation then go with one that will provide you with the comfort you need with the least bit of padding. Beautyrests will come in different gauges of wires and a thinner gauge will provide you with lots of comfort with out a lot of padding. I'm in Canada and the Black is being introduced next year here. It is a newer technology for Simmons so I don't really have much experience with them. When you purchase try and purchase from a place which will offer you an exchange or trial period, then you're less likely to be stuck with something you don't care for. Latex is a wonderful antimicrobial and more breatheable than memory foam, but it will still indent. Hope this helps a bit.

• meg711
    16 years ago

We have the Simmons Beautyrest bed that the Westin hotels use. I think they're called Heavenly Beds. We bought ours at Nordstrom during one of their sales a couple years ago and love it. It has a pillowtop and never needs to be flipped. DS has an extra-long twin Beautyrest and he loves his too.

So many of the hotels feature certain types of mattresses now and, if it's in your budget, I would encourage you to stay overnight at one of the hotels that has a mattress you're considering.

• Related Discussions

Need new King mattress

Q

Comments (1)
    It's not springs over foam but you might have a look at the Tempur-pedic Tempur Cloud Collecion. They make this in a variety of styles. Basically a tempur mattress for the support layer with a variety of plush tops. They are not cheap but worth your consideration.
    ...See More

OT-Anyone familiar with Craftmatic-type beds/top mattress?

Q

Comments (5)
    I think that you could use a latex mattress. That is what I saw on an adjustable bed at a local store. It will cost more than $380 though. Latex mattresses are supposed to be very long lasting and don't sleep hot.
    ...See More

Buying a new mattress....is harder then buying a new car

Q

Comments (53)
    I did purchase my new King mattress from the same local manufacturer that made my custom rv mattress. I love this company, I was able to tell him exactly how I wanted it to feel on top and how much support and firmness for the core. I did get the individual covered separate coils for less movement and the bamboo top fabric because I sleep hot and the bamboo fabric is great for me. It has the euro top instead of the pillow top the old one had. It is just beautiful too. I really debated if I should get a latex layer in the top, ended up not getting it, but if I was doing it again it would be worth the extra money. I love my latex pillows so much I think I would like the latex layer. I absolutely did not want any type of memory foam I can't stand it. I do have the option to let him take it back and add the latex layer still. Another great thing about this place! I have recommended them to several of our friends, especially those with an rv. And the prices are fantastic. So far I have not had any back pain like I was having from the old one. Super comfortable and extremely supportive. I especially wanted the heavy solid foam sides which will support you sitting on the edge or pushing on it getting up and out. I am a side sleeper and I tend to sleep on the edge of the bed, it supports me completely. I could jump on my side and never move my husband's side. The only thing that I wish was different is how much higher this one is. Thank goodness my sheets still fit. I have no idea if they ship out or not but I know they deliver all around the Houston area.
    ...See More

A little OT but I need your ideas

Q

Comments (12)
    Well some meaningful gifts we have given the kids and they loved are: I have made photo albums for each of them of their favorite pictures, they keep them on their bookshelves in their rooms I took my sd's to the fabric store and had them pick out fabrics they liked and we worked together making curtains, pillows, and comforters for their bedroom that matched and looked really nice. Since they went with all purple and pink we also took some of the old picture frames we had around the house that were not being used and painted them with purple and pink paints. Then we went through all our pictures and they picked their favorites to blow up and put into the frames. One of my sd's is really into High School Musical, so as one of her Christmas presents just me and her went to see High School Musical on Ice and she got a souvenier and I took some great pictures and made her an album with them And on each kids birthday they always get a choice of whatever they want for us to make for dinner that night. Also, we have wrapped up a homemade giftcard for a certain amount and told them they can pick what we do for a day and that is how much money they have to spend (not a shopping spree---but a trip to the movies, bowling, lunch, or whatever they choose for us to all do together) They can pick if they just want a daddy and me, mommy and me, or a family day with that gift card. Hope that helps!
    ...See More
  • OKMoreh
    16 years ago

We have the Simmons Beautyrest bed that the Westin hotels use. I think they're called Heavenly Beds.

I have a W Hotels bed, also by Simmons, on order. I'm told that the difference is that Westin uses the pillowtop version, while W Hotels use the plush version and add a featherbed. (I'll use a fiberbed.)

Anyway, if you're concerned that indentations might form, one option is to choose a less-padded mattress and add a replaceable topper (feather, fiber, foam).

• peaches12345
    16 years ago

We have the Simmons Heavenly Bed pillowtop and love it. My son and daughter-in-law purchased the new Beautyrest Black several months ago and think it is terrific. We 'tested' it at their house for about 30 minutes and agree that it is very comfortable with more support I would say than our Heavenly Bed. Try it for sure.

• compumom
    16 years ago

We're in the market as well. My understanding is that the Heavenly Bed or other hospitality beds are not the top of the line---do a google search for more info. Not that it matters, if it's comfortable, then get it. We slept on a fabulous new bed at a motel which turned out to be a Simmons Beautyrest Felicity. I called the phone number provided by the hotel to the Simmons Hospitality division. They made a big deal about "white glove delivery" for a mattress and either a low profile or regular box spring on OUR frame and mattress removal is an additional $100! I didn't think that the price was all that good. It was $1500+ but with no sales tax. We had seen an equivalent Beautyrest at a local store that was $1299 including old mattress removal. I think it was a "World Class, Ultra Super PillowTop. I realize all the stores have different names on their mattresses just to complicate matters.
    We also tried out a Natural Care by Simmons called a Buchanan Summit top. It was more costly, $2899 delivered, but has latex and felt heavenly.
    I also want to see the Sealy, Serta and Sterns and Foster. I hear one of them has a good latex bed.

Interesting too was that I found that some hotel mattresses have pillow tops that zip off so they can change them when they compact down. I guess they don't want the guests sleeping in a crater!

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everybody for the comments. I went this morning and bought the Simmons Beautyrest Black in the Helena model. I really LOVE this bed. The salesman tried to lead me to the Tempurpedic but I really did not like the feel of it. The Simmons was $2,800 (UGH), the Tempurpedic was $4,800. The bed will be delivered Friday, my poor body cannot wait.

He told me that Tennessee state law says that they cannot let me return the mattress since it is a coil mattress. The Select Comfort and Tempurpedic beds are returnable within 30 days. He did tell me that if I raised a big enough stink then they would probably let me exchange it for something in the store. I was fine with that since they had a huge selection. I don't think that we will be returning it, I LOVE the bed. I just cannot wait!!!!

I will post an update once I have slept on it for a week.

Thanks again

• oceanna
    16 years ago

I went to a local foam shop. I laid on all kinds of combinations of foam layers until I found what was just right for me. They made up my mattress and encased the layers of foam (including memory foam) in a zippered bag made of teeshirt material. Nobody sees your mattress cover anyway.

It was cheaper than getting a comparable mattress so I saved money.

I've been sleeping happily on it for several years now and it doesn't sag. It hasn't changed one bit. But if it did, I could simply discard the top layer or two and replace them. I wouldn't have to replace the whole thing. So I'd save money again.

They gave me a lifetime guarantee. They've been making these beds for ten years and they haven't had one returned yet.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

We just purchased a new mattress this week as well. We had every intention of purchasing another coil mattress (I knew I didn't want a Tempurpedic because I did lots of research and found that while many people absolutely love them, there are others who find them too hot and hate them. I get very hot at night and can't take the chance that the memory foam would have that effect.) However, my other biggest sleep issue is my husband's movement (he's a very dense person mass-wise and even just repositioning his legs would send vibrations all over the bed). Another increasing problem is DH's allergies (dust really does him in). Bottom line is that we ended up purchasing the Sealy Springfree, which is a 100% latex mattress. Antiallergenic and does not harbor mites. It also really reduces movement transfer. We tried a lot of beds, went to a couple different major dealers, read tons of reviews and feel good about our decision.

Regarding price negotiation--there was none. Supposedly Sealy sets the price for the latex mattresses. I checked online and spoke with salespeople in other stores. Same price everywhere. What I was able to get were extra perks such as an expensive mattress pad, two latex pillows, frame, a better return policy, etc. etc.

The mattress arrives Saturday. We're really excited about the new mattress and thrilled that we're moving up to a king size. Maybe we can start sleeping together again (I've been spending many nights in the guest room due to DH's movement/snoring). Will let you know!

• compumom
    16 years ago

We bought a new mattress yesterday after loads of confusion!
    Our purchase was a Chatham and Wells Plush lV. I hope we made the right decision. In the end we bought from Macy's during a sale, because their return policy was more liberal than the other places that we checked. I'm not going to drive myself totally crazy on the price, but hope we made the right decision. We have 37 days to notify Macy's that we've changed our minds.
    Do I have to buy a new hypoallergenic mattress and box spring casing? I'm definitely sensitive to dust mites, but thought I could rip ours off and wash and dry before the new mattress appears. What do you think?
    Thanks for your help!

• juddgirl2
    16 years ago

I'm on my second Beautyrest pillowtop and my DH and I feel like we're sleeping in sinkholes every night! I'm not sure if it's caused by the mattress or not, but we're both very sore and stiff in the morning.

The first mattress was replaced by the manufacturer because it was considered defective - the sinkholes were much deeper than the 1 1/2 inches. I'm sure they are now also, but I'm probably beyond the warranty period (they didn't extend the warranty on the first mattress with the replacement) so we'll be purchasing a new mattress soon! I'm interested to read the responses here for recommendations.

• theroselvr
    16 years ago

Laura, how did you make out with the mattress?

Hubby & I bought a pillow top from Raymour a few years ago, it's never been a great mattress but was in the store. If we end up replacing it (Ug, we spent a few grand on it) we're going to go with one of those Sleep Number beds. There should be a lengthy post about mattresses in the rose forum on the off-topic conversations side. If anyone's interested, I can search for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sleep Number

• susanka
    16 years ago

We bought a TempurPedic a year and a half ago and love it, the Celebrity model. I had all kinds of arthritic aches before--it's why we got this mattress-- and they all disappeared after sleeping on the TempurPedic. I tend to get hot while sleeping, but this hasn't been a problem for me on this mattress. So my recommendation is to make sure you've given the TP a good try before you decide against it, if you have aches and pains while trying to sleep. They do have a try-for-90-days policy, but we didn't have to use that so I don't know if it's as good as they say. One other thing, the mattress is HEAVY! If you have to lift it or move it it's going to take at least a couple of people.

• teeda_2006
    16 years ago

We've had our Sealy Spring Free latex mattress for almost a month now, and I can tell you that so far we love it. Part of the "deal" was that they thew in two latex pillows. After I let them "air out" in another room for about a week we started using them and can honestly say they're the best pillows I've ever laid my tired ol' head upon!

Our last mattress was a Stearns & Foster pillow top that we purchased at Raymour Flanigan about 5 years ago. We really thought that was a great mattress. The reason we bought new was due to DH's increasing movement (restless leg syndrome) that was keeping me awake. We moved the Stearn's & Foster into the guest room. I ended up sleeping there one night last week when I was fighting a flu, and wow, what I difference I felt between the old and new mattresses. Don't think I'd ever purchase a coil mattress again.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hubby and I are loving our new mattress. I did rotate it after 2 weeks per the salesmans instructions. I am so hoping that we do not get indentations. For right now, none.

Roselvr, we had bought the sleep number bed and slept on it for 2 weeks and I felt like someone had wrestled my body every night. I hated that bed. Good thing about the sleep number beds is that you can return them within 30 days if you do not like it. It does cost though, we ended up paying about $300 - 400 to just "test" the bed.

Good luck everybody on buying a new mattress. I had such a hard time finding one and then spending the amount of money on it that I did. I am loving it so far.

• nayray33
    16 years ago

We are considering exchanging a new mattress set (S&F) that we hate (way too firm) for the Beautyrest Black Helena. We need good back support, but cusion for a shoulder injury. We were wondering if you were still happy with your Helena and if you were having any problems after a few months. Any feedback you, or anyone else with the Helena, could provide would be extremely helpful

Thanks!

• texanjana
    16 years ago

We bought a new mattress several months ago when we upgraded to a king bed. I did research for several months before this purchase, because I have back issues. We ended up purchasing a Sealy, and are very happy with it.

Some of my findings: I personally do not like latex, and it is not a good choice if you have any disc problems like I do. We decided against a Simmons, because Simmons does not temper the steel used in the coils of their springs. The mattress will feel fine for about a year, and then it will break down because of the untempered steel. Sealy and Stearns & Foster double - temper their steel. All pillowtops will develop indentations from your body after about a year. These are also not a good choice if you have lower back issues.

There is info out there, it is just hard to find. I remember finding a website that told the different names that different stores call the same mattress, I wish I could recall the name of it. It is almost impossible to price-shop mattresses for this reason. You will usually find the best prices in furniture stores, not mattress stores. I read this on the web, and I found it to be absolutely true. We bought our Sealy at a locally-owned furniture store.

• susanlynn2012
    16 years ago

I have a FloBed mattress and I was so thankful that when I had a car accident and got 5 herniated disks from the accident, I was able to unzip the mattress and move the latex cores around to make my side of the bed firmer to make me comfortable. I bought my own topper since I wanted a 1" topper and the one that came with the bed was too soft for me. I am now sleeping on a 1" topper over a 39 ILD Extra Firm Talalay natural latex core over a 44 ILD super blended Talalay latex core over another 44 ILD super blended Talalay latex core over a pine slat foundation. I also sleep with a medium density natural Talalay latex pillow. I loved having 90 days to return the latex cores to exchange them for firmer ones and to have the choice of returning the whole bed without a restocking fee. The zipped up mattress cover has give and is very comfortable for me and makes the mattress look like a conventional mattress. I also exhanged the legs for 10" legs to attach to the split Queen slat foundation to have room to store things under my bed and to make it higher up.

• oceanna
    16 years ago

If I were buying a bed today I'd either do what I already did (latex bed, love it)... or I'd buy a medium quality regular bed and put money into a mattress topper. When the topper wears out, get a new one. The last thing I'd ever buy is a pillow top.

I had a foam shop make up my bed for me and I saved a ton of money and got just what I wanted. I've had it for about ten years now and it's just like when I bought it.

• tinker1121
    16 years ago

Oceanna, I think you are on to something.

We have a Sealy posturpedic that is about 8 years old and always hated it for being too firm. It is the second set we have had and "got it wrong" and last fall I was determined to find a new one and set out on a mission that was not fun.

Circumstances have it that my husband is out of work soooooo I did the next best thing and purchased a foam topper and when not seeing a difference bought a memory foam topper which we use under it. Voila, and for about $120 it feels like a new set!!! It supports my bad back and side sleeping unlike the firmness of the mattress and we saved a ton.

I would still like a new set someday, but the process is overwhelming in my book.

• marzhere
    16 years ago

Mattresshotline.com has a comparsion feature on their website. I haven't bought from them, but do have the page bookmarked for future reference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mattresshotline.com

• midwestmom
    16 years ago

I purchased a simmons beautyrest also. I posted a thread here awhile back about it. We loved it when we first got it. But now we have huge indentions and not nearly as comfortable. SO disappointing. The place we purchased from did not mention that the pillow top would do this at all. We've had it for at least six months so I'm sure it's too late to do anything about it. But I wish I knew if there was something I could do. We could never afford to replace it.

• lauraa
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hubby and I are still loving our Beautyrest Black mattress. I sleep like a baby every night. Hubby does to. I have turned it twice because I was afraid of getting indentions. So far we do not have any indentions. I read that the Beautyrest Black were not supposed to do that.

As of right now I definitely recommend this mattress.

• deb1971
    15 years ago

We purchased the Simmons Beautyrest Black Helena Pillowtop back in Dec 2006. I truly loved it for the first few months, and then it started with the body indentations. I thought the indents were from the mattress cover, so took that off, no change, turned mattress, nothing. It progressively got worse that we had 2 ditches in this King size. I called Boston Store Furniture Gallery, 20 months into owning it. Major back and neck problems set in. They sent out an inspector and sure enough, 1 ½ inch body indents and the sides of the mattress were busting out. Inspector told me that his report would reflect a defective mattress. I asked his opinion of how many defective mattresses he seeÂs and he said "off the record" to strongly fight for a replacement but to stay clear of this Helena as he has seen many defective mattresses. Simmons sold me on the single coils for less movement on the mattress as I flip a lot. In my opinion, those single coils are receiving a lot of strain.

In order to get a replacement under the warranty, it has to be equal or greater than what I had spent. Well, I really donÂt want to get another Helena due to the problems I had on this one. The salesperson hasnÂt heard any of these complaints and actually had 3 other couples trying out the Helena as we spoke. She has sold over 100 of these w/o any other complaints. I have 21 days to decide if I want it replaced, or to try another mattress. She wants me to try it again, but I hesitate. Due to what I spent on the Helena, I would have to go with a Tempurpedic type bed but donÂt think that will work for us. Anyone else having problems with the Helena indentations? Suggestions on a Simmons or Sealy plush mattress?