SHOP BY DEPARTMENT
Houzz Logo Print
bellaflora_gw

please help with furniture arrangement for DD's room (pics)

bellaflora
12 years ago

I am stuck on the furniture placement for my Dd's room so hopefully I can get some help here. Her 6th BD is in Jan and I would like to finish this room off by then.

(1) Bed against wall in corner. This arrangement gives more space in center but DD wants a bed crown/canopy so I don't know if it would look okay w/ bed in corner.

window wall:

{{!gwi}}

left side wall:

{{!gwi}}

inspirational pics of same arrangement -- the bed crown can look like this, except her bed is bigger and closer to the wall

{{!gwi}}

(2) New arrangement: bed on left wall (where desk used to be). Desk & dresser flanking bed & the bookcase is moved to where the headboard used to be: this makes the room look more crowded but the canopy probably would look better in the center of wall instead of in corner.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

in this arrangement -- the bed would be somewhat like this w/ the desk next to it.

{{!gwi}}

I want to buy her a reading chair but don't know if plan 2 allows any room for a reading chair (the white chair is a stand-in until I figure this out) :-)

Thanks so much for all the help. I can't move on w/ the decorating part since I can't decide on the room arrangement. And as you can see, she takes it in her own hand and decorate the room herself w/ butterflies stickers & Pokemon posters LOL :-D I'm sending her out of town to her cousin's house for a week during January (christmas break) and hope to get everything done before she gets back! Any help is greatly appreciated :-D

(PS: I know the chandelier is too small but she loves it so I will keep it until I find another one she likes better).

Comments (24)

• allison0704
    12 years ago

I like that chair in her room. ;) Will the bookcase fit on the wall behind the chair? Still accessible and makes a "reading corner."

If you leave the bookcase where it is, will the bed and night table/small dresser fit on that wall also? Hard to tell from photos. That would open up the area near chair (photo #1) for desk, reading area, rug, etc.

I have several ideas, but wanted to ask questions first.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Have you thought about angling the bed from the corner where you first had the bed?
    Another thing to do before moving the furniture around so much is either use an online floor planner where you can change the size of furniture if needed or make up a floorplan using graph paper. I've not done that for this home yet, but did so for our last home with to scale cutouts of almost everything movable in our home and the living room and bedrooms. Made it so much easier to figure out what fit where before moving anything in real life. I kept them in labeled envelopes in a kitchen drawer where I could easily find them.

• Related Discussions

DD room going for a makeover: Help with paint? (pics)

Q

Comments (20)
    I like the second one. It's a mix of the pink and the purple, softened with white to make it easier to live with. While I understand the theory of the yellow or the green, for a little girl, pink is IT! I would look for that grass green for more accents in green -- maybe find a similar polka dot ribbon and use it for tie-backs for the curtains, trim for a lamp or wastebasket. I can imagine green piping on a chair. Ooh, such fun! I like Pale Iris better than Beach Plum for your room. If you want to go just a tad pinker, without going to Bunny Nose Pink, take a look at BM Classic Colors Baby's Mittens #1368, another nice orchid pink, imo.
    ...See More

Please help with arrangement of furniture in this room

Q

Comments (0)
    I don't have any pics but maybe someone can visualize without them. When you walk in the front door that is space to the right which has a big window at the front. It has a fireplace on the wall that is straight ahead. On the other side when you walk in is another big window at the front of the house. Across from it is a 6' wall. It is exactly one room with the front door dividing it. Hope this makes sense. I will have a loveseat and 2 recliners and tv in there.
    ...See More

Family Room Furniture Arrangement help, please?!

Q

Comments (5)
    mdln, can't tell you how much we like the new set-up . I am a very "straight lines" kind of person, and would NEVER have thought of it. Best part is, it requires no new furniture purchases! I can get right to my fall accessorizing! I think it will look even better once we can do wood floors and an area rug. I have a bunch of kids playing in there now, but will take pictures when I can. Thank you again for your input, so glad you shared your designer info. with me!
    ...See More

Living room furniture arrangement help please

Q

Comments (0)
    We've had to change our plans (& budget) and won't be doing any remodeling. I'm now focusing on existing spaces to make them work better for us and could use some advice. I don't mind the formality of our living room (we have casual spaces elsewhere.) It just doesn't provide enough seating when we entertain or have the whole family here on holidays. We can seat 8 comfortably, with 1 more on the bench if necessary. Seating for 10+ would be great. The ottoman is needed for medical reasons and the upright Marina chairs are preferred by older visitors. Is there any way we could add more seating without overcrowding the room? I'll try to include a link to a Houzz ideabook with a very rough sketch of the room plus pictures of the current sofas and chairs. Thank you. living room furniture arrangement
    ...See More
  • bellaflora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

allison: that chair is a cheap ikea one. I have a cute vintage chair that I can reupholster for the room. The book case won't fit behind the chair because that's where the closet is.

gotabeme: angling won't work. It's a long and narrow room (14longx11wide) & angling just cut the room in 1/2 w/o any space for anything else. I have tried the online floor planner before but imo, the 2D plan just doesn't give as good an idea of spatial relation. Everything fits on paper but once you put the furniture in real life, it looks totally different. I supposed a program w/ 3D function would be better --- however, it's easier for me to move the furniture around than to try to learn how to do it on computer LOl :-D

I supposed my long-winded question can be shortened to this:

do you think the canopy in the corner would look okay? or do you think it's better to have the canopy/bed in the middle of the room (& compromise the space available).

• natal
    12 years ago

What about putting the desk in front of the window ... the bed centered against the far wall (so it's placed parallel to the window) ... and the bookcase and chair opposite the window wall?

• suero
    12 years ago

Can you fit the desk, dresser and bookcases across the 11 foot wall?
    If so, I'd put the bed on the wall opposite the window, dresser, desk and bookcase on the 11 foot wall, chair with a small table where you have the chair now. I'd also hang a very large bulletin board (like fabric covered homasote) over the desk/dresser area that your DD can decorate to her heart's content.

• pmartin
    12 years ago

I think the bed will better with the canopy on the large wall vs in the corner. I just redid my 6 year olds room and I too wanted to position the bed on one side so she had lots of open room. It is now in the middle and she loves it. She spends tons of time at her desk.

Could you place the desk on the left side of the window, bulletin board over top. (I can't imagine sitting at my desk in front of the window with the sunlight shining into my eyes as I try to work, color in her case). Dresser below window with pretties on top. Bookcase on blank wall with chair besdie it in the corner across from the desk near the bed which would be moved over towards the door. A little piece of furniture could be placed for the bedside if a lamp is required. That would allow plenty of playroom on the other side of the bed vs near the door.

• natal
    12 years ago

(I can't imagine sitting at my desk in front of the window with the sunlight shining into my eyes as I try to work, color in her case.)

I loved having a window in front of my desk. Great natural light and a view!

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

I would not do the bed in the corner. The bed is too wide and is pushing the curtains, and the curtain rod extends over the bed. Adding a canopy would look jumbled with the curtain rod.

I like the second arrangement. I would switch the desk and end table though. I think it would be better to have the desk chair further from the bed than right next to it. Having the desk chair next to the bed looks a bit cramped and the desk would be closer to the bookcase if it was moved to the other side making that side of the room a 'study area'. The desk chair would not compete with the white chair either by having two chairs on one side of the room.

• karinl
    12 years ago

I may be missing something, but why not put the headboard on the 11 foot wall with space on either side, so that end wall is enhanced by the canopy, and she can have a nightstand? Looks to me like other furniture would easily fit alongside, especially if you put the bed a bit off-centre - just a nightstand on one side, and bookcase or dresser on the other. Bookcase doesn't need to be beside reading chair. Possibly bookcase or dresser could also go ON that end wall, beside the headboard.

I've had beds with their sides against the wall for many years and know what a nightmare it is to make the bed from only one side. Also, many kids spend daytimes ON their beds so the foot of the bed becomes part of the open play space. And if the bed's only 6 feet long, that leaves 8 feet of space... should be enough.

KarinL

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Here you go, does this help?
    {{!gwi}}

• wellspring
    12 years ago

"do you think the canopy in the corner would look okay? or do you think it's better to have the canopy/bed in the middle of the room (& compromise the space available)."

Kids don't think about space the way we do. Don't have an immediate source in hand to give a reference, but there's been work done on how children play in and use space. They tend to like hidy holes and cubbies. Some think it may relate to a genetic predisposition for our young ones to be prepared to hide. When kids play, watch how they love hide and seek and finding places to hang out where they can be partially or totally out of sight. It's play for them, but also has some deep roots to it.

I'm making a genralization here and your daughter may react differently, but my guess is that breaking up her room by putting the bed in the middle, partially obscuring a corner and creating places where she can sit on the floor sometimes and not be seen will make for a space that's fun for her.

I'm guessing, too, that if she's been wanting this special bed, she'll love having it take center stage. The space issue simply isn't going to bug her for a few more years.

At least, that's my guess.

Wellspring

• les917
    12 years ago

I would put the desk and the bookcase side by side on the end wall (the essentially blank wall seen in the last arrangement.)

I would put the nightstand next to the bed on the left side, and keep the bed on the side wall as in the last arrangement, but moved to the left a bit.

Get a chair for the desk, and keep the reading chair by the window as you have the white chair now, with a floor lamp behind it.

• pmartin
    12 years ago

Wellspring,

I couldn't agree more with children wanting to be out of site when playing. When my daughter has her friends over they don't want me to hear them role playing with the Polly Dolls or Barbie Dolls. Heck sometimes they go and play inside her closet. It also allows them to set up their play furniture and not worry about anyone walking through it or having to go around it.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

Wellspring described it well. I was going to suggest the same thing but didn't know how. I had a very large room growing up with a canopy. But I had more fun in my friends smaller rooms where there was cozy areas on each side of the bed. I look back and now wish I had twin beds in my room.

I don't think the room will look cramped by having it in the middle, it will just look cozy and fun to hang out in.

• leahcate
    12 years ago

You'll think this is nutty, but perhaps try it. It worked for a room of mine with very similar wall/window set up. Place the bed catty-cornered . The canopy ( we used mosquito netting for coastal feel)works to fill in the space behind the bed. Now, you'll be limited in space for a nightstand, so just turn the bookcase over on it's side( if bottom is smooth) and place next to bed, slightly under window: voila! A skinny-topped bookcase/nightstand. My bookcase top holds a small reading lamp and book, etc. I love the look.

• punamytsike
    12 years ago

She is kind of young, so maybe it does not apply yet, but for me, it is oppressing to have table face the wall. I would put the table under the window, so when I sit by the table I can look out. Then the bed can go to opposite wall, (like the last arrangement, or why not the wall it is in first picture, just turned 90 degrees.

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thank you for all the input. It's probably difficult to visualize the room w/o the floor plan so I'm posting the floor plan below. Her room is bedroom 3.

{{!gwi}}

Though the room is large by measurement, the closet & entry took up a lot of space so actually workable space is maybe about 12x11 or so. I wish I can have just a bit more space, so I can put the bed parallel to the window (foot board toward the closet) and dresser/desk on each side- that would be ideal. Her bed is a full size (60x84). It would be much easier if it's a twin.

I think wellspring made a very good point a/b how children utilize space. When she was younger she wants her bed in the corner because she was afraid of falling off the bed. Also, having bed in corner freeing up the center space & at that age they do a lot of floor play. Now she's a bit older, there is less floor play & more artwork/craft -- she use her desk a lot more.

DD really likes her bed in the middle of the room (we test-drove the arrangement last week) so I suppose we'll make her happy and have it there. Maybe in couple years she would change her mind & want something different.

gotabeme: thanks for the photoshop. It really helps me seeing how cramped up that corner would be w/ a bedcrown.

Leahcate: the bookcase has little bun feet so I can't turn it on the side.

punamytsike: If I have her bed w/ footboard facing window, there won't be enough room for desk under the window.

Thanks again for all the advices! I'm sure I'll be back soon with more design dilemmas.

• justgotabme
    12 years ago

Your very welcome.
    You have a beautiful home.

• suero
    12 years ago

Here are a couple of ideas. In one, the bed is centered on the window. Rather than a chair, how about a window seat? When I was young (and even when I got older), I loved the idea of sitting by the window, looking out and imagining things.

The second one has the bed on the short wall. Note that in both plans the bed is not centered on the wall.

• tnfarmhouselove
    12 years ago

I like the bed in the middle of the room, especially if you're using the crown. I love the chandelier - lucky girl!

My daughter's bed is placed in the middle of the wall just like the second floorplan posted by suero above, and most of her toys are in her closet along one side of the bed. She and her friends play in her room all the time in the space between the closet and the bed and she never seems cramped or complains that she doesn't have enough room. In fact, her friend always tells her mom that she loves DD's house and her friends room is much larger :-) They hide in the closet also!

Looking at your daughter's room and the inspiration pic makes me want to get started on my daughter's room, but DH is making me wait until we get the fireplace finished (this weekend!) and the floors are in. We have to finish some projects around here before starting new ones, I guess!

• suero
    12 years ago

Here are some more possibilities.

Your daughter has a lovely room, with loads of flexibility.

The arrangement on the right had both the desk and the bed facing the door, which many people prefer. The bed is also centered on the wall.

The arrangement on the left lets your daughter look out the window while at the desk, which is also a good thing.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I am looking at the image on the right that Suero posted. Is it possible to keep the chair where it is (just moving it back a little as shown in your previous photos), center the bed on the same wall as shown above or even move it to the left a bit, put the dresser on the left side of the bed, and move the bookcase down to the position the desk is shown in the above? Just some thoughts.

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry I couldn't post back right away == Dd had nutcracker performance on Sunday so the couple days before that we lived at the studio.

Anyhow, this is what we finally came up with. I put the hutch back on the desk & dresser to solve the storage issue. I moved the desk to the inside corner (where dresser used to be) and got rid of the bookcase. Now I can put the chair in the corner & free up the access to closet.

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

I'm thinking of getting rid of the drapery panel and replaced w/ valance. The white chair would be replaced w/ another chair. Her art display would go on the blank wall between the desk & the reading chair.

Thanks again for all the advices! I will no doubt come back w/ more questions a/b fabric & accessories :-D

• dilly_dally
    12 years ago

"I'm thinking of getting rid of the drapery panel and replaced w/ valance."

Well if you are going to get rid of the draperies I would put the bed in front of the window and use the bed crown canopy there.