SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clueless_gw

Living Room furniture arrangement (pics, plan)

clueless
12 years ago

I have posted about this room before, and received many helpful responses, about which I am very appreciative. http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg0223000121501.htm

I am decorating this room from scratch. I will paint the walls and probably the paneling, too. I plan to buy an area rug, curtains, seating, and tables.

My problem is that no matter how many times I try various furniture arrangements, I cannot come up with a plan that looks ideal. Geokid and Suero came up with some good ideas. The reason I am posting this is that I have managed to come up with a floor plan and furniture dimensions.

I need seating for 6 adults, because my family consists of 2 parents and 4 older teens. The largest 3-seat sofa that will fit through our 30" wide front door has a depth of 38" and can be 73" - 80" long. It is likely we will put a recliner in there, too, necessary for my husband, which will be about 39" x 41" deep. I figure that a loveseat will also be needed to bring the seating up to 6 spots.

Smaller sofas and a powerlift recliner are in my photobucket account, with dimensions listed. The recliner is an example. I like all the sofas and selecting one or two of them is a matter of price only. I plan to buy either Hancock and Moore or Bradington-Young leather seating. It doesn't have to all be leather, of course.

This is the floor plan of my living room:

{{!gwi}}

This is the fireplace. The sconces have to stay. The wires coming out below them are laying on the mantel. They plug into an extension cord. They belong to the landlord and he does not want them removed.

{{!gwi}}

More pictures are here, to show you the walls and the various entrances. Also, photos of the sofas and an example of a recliner are here, with dimensions.

http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o576/Aileen825/Living%20Room/

If any of you have ideas about how I can fit 6 seats into this room, please tell me how you would arrange the furniture. I know that a sofa, loveseat, and large upholstered chair will fit in it, because that is either in there now, or has been.

Perhaps it would look better if it had 2 small sofas (76" x 37") and a recliner, instead. I wouldn't mind if they were all leather.

I am going to worry about tables and color scheme later. I would like each seating spot to be near a table so if someone has a drink, they have a place to put it.

Thank you for your help! I am pretty desperate. I know if I am left to my own devices, I can buy nice looking furniture and still manage to make the room look awful.

Comments (10)