SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_mcguire

Help with new color for DR

Kathleen McGuire
15 years ago

Hi all! I am asking for your help with my DR. Below are a few pics of the wallpaper and DR. I have never been happy with the color painted below the chair rail which reads too light. It is LA Gold 3, same as my foyer. I think a darker color might look better there. Jamesboro Gold comes to mind. I think I want to pick up the dark gold of the damask pattern. So what are your suggestions? If you have Jamesboro Gold let me know how you think it would look. I am open to other color suggestions except green because my kitchen is EK Edgewood Green. The DR is right next to the kitchen. For starters, here are a few pics:

DR:

Another shot:

Wallpaper:

Rug:

Wallpaper with silk drapes:

Comments (77)

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know her DR is Mystic Gold. I think Wilmington Tan is in her LR. Are you referring to the thread with that gorgeous table?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

ok, this time I eyeballed what the color looks like on the swatch, rather than matching it (very bright). The online swatch is at the bottom, and I included another one on the hutch next to the paint to compare to my squirrel-y mixed version. Interesting, huh, showing how much what's around it can affect perception of the color.

{{!gwi}}

• Related Discussions

Need Help with DR Color - Gray or Camel

Q

Comments (3)
    Heck, I vote for the orange/cinnamon/nutmeg color that is in the rug. I think BM's Pottery Barn line has a perfect color for that rug in the winter 2008 series. Can't remember what it's called...
    ...See More

DR/Kitchen color help desperately needed

Q

Comments (1)
    I'm trying to pick out a whole house now too! what pressure! We have an open floor plan as well (FR, kitchen, butler, DR, LR & hall - eek! I planning on using the natural 'breaks' to change colors, but likely the same tones/same strip? My color wheel is in the car...will post later.
    ...See More

Need help with DR color selection, please

Q

Comments (3)
    Dining rooms are among the jewel boxes in your home. No matter what color paint you choose, your room is not going to have more light. I once heard Lynette Jennings say rather than pretending a light color will make your room appear lighter and brighter, don't tease yourself. Go with the drama of rich color to make it seem more elegant and royal for it's a jewel box or can be. I have had taupe in dark rooms and beige and it can look a little bit "dirty or dusty" in low light, another reason I suggested perhaps a wheat, something richer to give it that rich look.
    ...See More

Help with paint color for DR/ LR.

Q

Comments (16)
    I don't think so. The chairs are basically the color of your furniture, and green would give a fresh feeling to this room, as would blue. Are you planning on having a rug in the dining room? I'm wondering if there would be other colors to take into consideration.
    ...See More
  • squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

JT's breakfast room thread, with the lamp and buffet.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, the color where the pheasant pic is? That's Ardmore Green. I'm gettin' good at this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Ardmore

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

Y'all, we are just hilarious on here remembering each others' paint colors!! I do the same thing:)

I took a break from work & had to come check in:)
    I was going to suggest BM Mystic gold to get you started in a bronzey paint color. I have that same bronze color in my drapes & it matches the walls beautifully.

Maybe Squirrel can take a sample from my walls & try it??
    Funny, Squirrel calling me JT - that was it growing up & Scooby Ruby:)

This is the best pic I could find - I accidentally deleted a bunch trying to move them:(

Smiles:)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Here's the Ardmore Green. First is just a mix to look like the swatch looks, second is the swatch itself -- completely different!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

JT is easier to type, that's for sure! You'd think I have nothing better to do! It's just that I committed to a little neighborhood Holiday get together at my house. Either the 23rd or New Years! Talk about too much wine!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

You know, I think Squirrelly :) nailed it with the first one she did at 11:16. It appears that it is not an exact match to the wallpaper but rather a blend of the taupey stripe & the bronzy stencil overlay - which would be more desireable(spell??).

Do you have a pic with your drapes up?

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

And you know what.....even if you don't get around to painting - your DR is beautiful. You'll have a wonderful time hosting your neighbors. Are ya gonna get some b*tch wine???:)

Bought me some paint today....did yall know that Walmart & Sherwin Williams is the same paint? Atleast that is what the Wally World lady told me. I didn't know.....but the price is better!!

• bronwynsmom
    15 years ago

I am voting for the dark blue or green. It makes the wall seem all of a piece, which makes the ceiling look higher, and it really makes your wallpaper look more serene...and it is much better as a background for your beautiful floor, and your dark wood furniture. The golds all make me think of a two-tone effect, whereas with the blue or green, the wall looks calmer and more monochromatic, with the gold as accent. I would even consider painting out the chair rail to match the blue, which is a very sophisticated look. I did that in a terra cotta dining room, and in a deep blue-gray library, and it looked gorgeous.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey another direction! bronwynsmom, do know of any colors? I understand what you are saying and I like that!

• parma42
    15 years ago

Now we're getting back to the darker blue/green. :)

That's what I liked from the start. Your room does look great now, but I still think that getting away from the two separate colors and having the blues or whatever the heck the other color is in your wallpaper, on the bottom, would just make the floors and your other wood shine.

It's just so hard to guess a specific color without knowing what the paper looks like IRL.

• momfromthenorth
    15 years ago

WOW - Beautiful dining room! I love the blue mockup that Deckr8 did. Looks so rich and elegant and it brings out the blue in the area rug. I think it would be a nice contrast with the drapes without looking to matchy-matchy, yet it ties all of the colors together. Gorgeous room :)

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I like the deep bronze-gold or the dark blue-green best. Maybe deckr8 can pick that one back up again : )

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Stuff to look at:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• dekr8
    15 years ago

squirrel, those look awesome. Unlike you, I operate under the GIGO (garbage in garbage out) method of PS. In other words I can only input what others suggest, as I did above... Trust me kmcg85 does not want or need my advice! You have a gift.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

The main color of your rug is red but there is no other red in the room except the flowers. Have you considered painting the lower part of the wall red? You have a really beautiful room but all the colors suggested seem rather bland, and a dining room is the perfect place to have some drama. Also, the red will add a much-needed warmer color to your room. Red should complement your beautiful furniture very well and I don't think it will fight with the wallpaper. Perhaps someone could photoshop it for you just to see if red could be a possibility to consider. If not, then perhaps your chairs, which you said you were not happy with, could be covered in a material that has red in it.

Ingrid

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

I absolutely love your dining room. It has something mine does not - ROOM!!! I like how large it is and that you can actually pull the chairs out and not hit the wall! LOL

Now for the colors - I am with Parma - I like the blue/green whatever color is in your wallpaper and your rug. Dilly said it best - the lighter color on the bottom doesn't give enough weight to the bottom and makes the room too top heavy. If you like the bronzey color (which is my second choice) did you check out EK Bronze or Cognac? I am on my laptop so the colors on my monitor aren't that great but your drapes look like the ones I have in my Cognac MBR.

Gorgeous room!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well, I'm not getting the red to work well on the lower half, but I know how much kmcg loves red ... so oohlala, maybe some day:

{{!gwi}}

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

I'm so amazed at how great the dining room looks with red. It's as if now every element works together to create a cohesive picture. I know it wasn't possible to do just the lower part and am wondering if changing only that part to red might not be equally successful because it will also fulfill the purpose of tying the red in the rug to something else in the room. Does anyone else think this looks good?

• les917
    15 years ago

Have you considered adding some moulding to create boxes below the chair rail, and painting it all the trim color (white, or whatever version of white the ceiling trim is)? You have a lot of great trim detail on the ceiling, and I think that same effect on the lower wall would be great.

Otherwise, I would go to the dusky teal color of the stripe in the paper, which also seems to appear in the pattern in the rug.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I think it looks great. Red is great for dr's and comfort and conversation. Flattering too. Here's the red on the bottom. I had to add red around the room. Checking out puddled drapes (just ignore the styling -- it's just for effect : ) and had to bring some red up).

{{!gwi}}

• CaroleOH
    15 years ago

I think the red looks great with the rug, but no so much with the wallpaper...

I like either the dark teal, or the dark green/bronze.

To get a color that is more true to the wallpaper, have you thought about having them do a color match on the wallpaper? I think they can do this from a very small area, so you could pick the bronze, or the dark teal and do a sample quart and see what happens. It might at least point you more to the tones you want to match the paper. Sherwin Williams has a great machine that does this. I did this years ago with a patterned wallpaper I had in my kitchen. It was an odd beige color and I wanted the walls to be that exact color. They did the color match and I named it "Carole Beige". They kept it in their computer and I used it several times for touchups!

• parma42
    15 years ago

I'm not lovin' the red very much.

That china piece of yours has such great wood grain and I don't think the red works well with it. It doesn't work well with the paper, either, as it makes the color, itself, the most important statement instead of your beautiful furniture. It washes them out.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You guys are great! Now squirrel and ingrid vc, don't get me scraping wallpaper, although it is very tempting after seeing these mockups! I do love a red DR! My favorite red is Duron's Roasted Pepper. Back to just a little painting! I am at the point of having them match the darker green. I do feel that right now it is too top heavy and needs a darker color for balance. It has always bugged me. I will try and do that today and see what they come up with. I have nothing to lose and it will probably save time in the long run. Les, yes, I would love to add the picture moulding. For right now, if I can at least find paint for the short term, I'll do that first and save the moulding for later. I'll let you know what I come up with. Stay tuned!

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

For grins, here is BM Carolina Gull. Looks like it needs to be a little more on the gray side as this seems a bit too green. I'm going to BM now. Wish me luck!

• hoyamom
    15 years ago

If you are going with BM paint I recommend Aura. Amazing - it covers in ONE coat. Sure does save time if you don't have to go over it twice. Saves time and money bc you only need half as much paint as you originally needed.

I can't tell from my work monitor how the green looks but I like it better than the golds.

Keep us posted...

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

From here, the CGull looks more gray and blue, as the wallpaper looks more olive next to it.

Just for kicks, here's more of a Roasted Pepper. Better for the furniture. The rug looked more like a blue red.

(Thanks dekr8 : )

{{!gwi}}

• casajakada
    15 years ago

I love the red with the wallpaper as it ties all the colors that are in the rug together with the walls. My second choice would be the blue under the chair rail. What a beautiful dining room!

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm baack! I went and had it matched and tweaked a few times before coming home. I am showing the result. Hard to see on the monitor, but one, I think is better than the other. And, yes, I am ignoring my own advice by not painting on a bigger board. I will, but after I see which is the closest match. This is so hard!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Those colors change every time! Very gray now. From here the right appears a closer match in each of the photos. The left picks up more green.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tell me about it, lol! Yes, the one on the right is a tad cooler maybe? The one on the left is the BM color match. Once I got out of the store and away from the flourescent light, it looked very green. I then mixed the Carolina Gull with the custom match in a plastic cup to get it as close as I could to the paper with the light in the DR. The pics above are with out a flash. Another look:

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Now the one on the left matches better. The wallpaper's middle stripe seems to have more brown in it though. Left one appears more olive : )

I hope you are standing back and squinting to see the overall effect.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Have I mentioned that I HATE paint!!!! There should be a paint hater's club. It would be very popular and I know where to go to find interested members!!!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Is your wallpaper actually on the olive side or the blue side? Much gray? Any brown?

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

more craziness...

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Now we've got a silver gray. I keep seeing brown in the greenish stripe. Can you add a bit of red to neutralize the colors a bit?

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Me, JT...

They keep changing with the different angles of the photo...my eyes hurt trying to figure it out!! I bet yours do too.

Can you tape your boards up on the wall & take a standing back picture?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

One thing you might try is to place each sample piece under (the exact same type of) a white background to see and compare the colors separately. The difference might stand out more.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Oh my, lol.

How about taking all three colors and just wash them across : )

The stripes seem to be different colors. The left one looks more olive and seem to work well. The far right stripe, though, is it more blue/gray? Looks good with what's below it but not much is showing and it's in shadow : ) The far right paint would seem to be a mismatch when under the far left stripe.

I've been wondering if maybe you should *not* be trying for an exact match. If it's just close, it will look off. And depending on the light, sometimes it may look right and other times not. Maybe if you go darker, it will look like an intentional difference, as long as you get the general toning right.

And you said you had it color-matched, right?

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Or maybe one of Lauren's subtle finishes, like a suede or linen. Forget what else he might have. That way variations are expected and exact colors won't matter so much.

• ummm
    15 years ago

i like it with the blue (more than green) best.

you don't have to find an exact match, find what complements best with the wallpaper.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, the stripes ARE different! Look at the earlier pics in the beginning of this thread. See the differences? They are subtle, but there. That's why some were saying to use the bluer of the two. IRL they are both green. One, very Olive (brown toned) and the other a deeper green. Because it is near the more olive toned stripe it tends to read green with blue. The deeper green one is the one I had matched. I agree that because of the different tones, I need to find something that compliments both.

• saltnpeppa
    15 years ago

Gosh, Kmcg, this is a hard one!!
    While I like these colors... one doesn't pop out at me & say I am it!! They all look very good & I am not very good about picking up on the subtle differences in paint colors. I am still seeing the bronzey color from the stencil....kinda like the color of your drapes. I love the pics done where the chair rail was painted, too.

Doesn't help one bit, does it!!

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

I wonder if there's a complementary solid wallpaper for that pattern.

• squirrelheaven
    15 years ago

Well of course they're different! Hadn't looked at the old pics for a while and the closeups don't really show that well. They're so different that choosing the one of the three colors you like best should look fine and not mismatched to the other stripe.

• parma42
    15 years ago

I agree with squirrel.

There are so many colors in that wallpaper that you should just choose the one you like best. Which one looks nicest with the rug and hardwood?

The color should just reflect the best of everything else in the room. That's why you're going with those colors in the first place.

Oh, and btw, I can also get a bit color obsessed. I think it's a disease or something. :)

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, I bit the bullet today and got a gallon of paint to match the darker or bluer green. I also decided to go with a matte finish because the sheen of the eggshell was driving me nuts and throwing the color a little bit off. The paint guy matched it perfectly looking at it in both the store light and then taking it outside in daylight. He did a great job! So, now I'm off to paint! I'll start a newer thread when I'm ready for the unveiling. Stay tuned. :)