SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twobengalsandme

Tile experts, please give opinion of this shower construction

twobengalsandme
15 years ago

Master bath shower as part of whole house remodel, so gutted to studs. My tile contractor is not on the Kerdi train yet, so here is how the custom shower in my bathroom is being built:

It's an "open" shower plan, with one side defined by a curved glass block wall (4x8" blocks to be able to follow the radius better. The tiler formed and poured the curved curb, did a traditional dry pack pre-slope, with the poly liner overlapping and being set into the curb. Walls and ceiling studs covered by Tyvek, then a layer of Denshield, then a cement backer board. (Not sure what brand) Denshield ended 6" above the floor, liner carried up to Denshield, and I think behind the cement board. Then the rest of the pan dry-packed, it that's the right term. Niched framed out, covered with cement board and waterproofed with Laticrete (forget the # of the Laticrete) Shower will be tiled with Seagrass limestone, cut to 4x4" on the floor, 18x18" walls, probably 12x12" ceiling to match the size of the Kohler watertile rainshower head. Sounds pretty bomber to me, but if I'm leaving anything out please let me know. Building inspector looked at it and asked "why are you overbuilding it so much?" Hopefully that's a good thing.

Also, can you recommend a good sealer for the Seagrass limestone. My tile guy has done beautiful work laying the slate floors in the other bathrooms, laundry room and entrance, so I'm pretty confident in them, but would like some recommendations for sealing the limestone in the shower.

Thanks in advance! I'll post photos when it's done.

Comments (2)