SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Bill, other tile experts...opinion please

melissastar
13 years ago

The guy doing much of the real work (framing, drywall, floors, trim and tile) doesn't want to wait until cabinets are ready to put the backsplash in. I think he's had a bad experience with the Gen. Contractor's cabinetmaker before and fears that the job will drag on for months...with him being called back in for a rush job before the holidays. Lord knows this remodel has been painful enough for both him and me so far.

He SAYS it isn't an issue because he needs to install the 3X6 subways I want (in a herringbone pattern) along a strict level line anyway and that any slight gap between backsplash and countertop (soapstone) would be filled with silicone anyway. Although the job is a remodel if a very old, uneven house, all the tiled walls are new...with new studs and drywall inside the old brick exterior. Theoretically, at least they are even and plumb. The floor has new backer board on it and I believe will receive a coat of self-leveler put in over the radiant electric heat mats...again, theoretically, it should be level.

Still, I'm dubious and not sure if I should insist that the GC make him wait or arrange another tile guy to do it. But I do like and generally trust the builder.

Is it possible to do a good job putting the backsplash in first? Or is this guy just blowing smoke?

Comments (3)