SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kjmama_gw

Post a pic of your favorite window treatment

kjmama
14 years ago

I would love to see pictures of your favorite window treatment. I'm pitiful in this area!

Comments (55)

• jojogirl11
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great thread! Maryelizabeth, I love your valance, beautiful!

fillagirl, how wide are your panels? They are luscious!

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Maryelizabeth - love your valance, it will be beautiful in that fabric!

Jojogirl11 - I think my panels are 114" wide (2 x 54" wide fabric sewn together). LOVE the fullness, glad I erred on the side of very full vs. less full. I think that's a rule of thumb with WT...

• Related Discussions

Help! I don't want window treatments (6 pics)... long post.

Q

Comments (24)
    Laurie, Thank you so much for your warm compliment about my house. As far as the paint...we used Benjamin Moore throughout. I remember the white was called "Linen White" which is on BM's website. There are actually two beige colors used in the greatroom. "#1031" is written on top of the lighter beige paint can. When I looked at BM's website it shows "Carlisle Cream" for that number but looks very lavendar on my computer. Not like the real paint at all. I wish I could help you with the name of the darker beige we used but the store kind of tweaked that color for us. It was BM's Moorecraft SPEC paint and on the top of that can is written "MC #47" if that helps. bristlingacres, Thank you too for your compliment. All of our interior doors are stained with white trim. They are knotty alder. I'm posting one pic of the stairwell door which shows color and trim pretty good. I got some samples yesterday of Hunter Douglas woven wood shades. They seem very light. I can see through them easily and they come in a host of patterns. I downloaded a picture (sorry it REALLY tiny) and a darker color than I would choose. What does everyone think of this option??? Do you think I would need cloth curtains on the sides like in this picture?
    ...See More

Please post pics of your window bench

Q

Comments (6)
    Check out this post from a week or so ago. Just an absolutely adorable nursery with a window seat. The colors are fabulous. Love window seats and added 2 of them in a previous house. The easiest way to do it is to buy those cabinets that go above a refrigerator. Already finished and pretty then just add a plywood top and a cushion. It works great and is fast. Now I have a built-in window seat at the top of the stairs in a big hallway. We just bought the house in Feb and it was built in 1780. I need to recover the cushion for it so right now it is just the plain painted woodwork. The top flips up for storage and we added hinges to it which it lacked before. It is about 9 feet long. Here is a link that might be useful: nursery window seat
    ...See More

Post a pic of your favorite island

Q

Comments (1)
    I love Monstserrat. Ohhhh, not that kind of island. darn There have been so many great islands on GW, it's hard to choose! Do you have any pets? If so, this one struck me as a great idea: [eclectic kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2104) by boston kitchen and bath Artisan Kitchens LLC
    ...See More

Post pics of your favorite feature of your cabinets please!

Q

Comments (15)
    I don't have a pic but I love my pullout pantry. 2 rollouts are attached to the door, so they come out when it is pulled open. The other 2 are accessible on rollouts, but only need to be pulled out to get near the back. It is 30" wide and so I can fit a ton in it. I stand to whichever side I expect to find what I am searching for and it is one motion to open it. It sure beats having my pantry stuff in the basement! I also did cubbies on the back part of my island, which I tuck my toaster, food processor, spices, etc.. in. It extends the counter space and hides the chaos from the other side. We designed it by accident because I had gotten the idea from Ikea to face shallow wall cabs on the back side of the island rather than putting a cover panel. When I was playing with their online planner is turned one of the cabs around and I saw the potential for facing 2 of them towards the cook. The 3rd one hides the back of our tall vintage stove. My only regret is I realized after that I could have skipped those actual 2 cabs and just had the counter that covers their top and sides form the cubbies. It would have given me an extra inch or so and made my spaces taller. I thought an 18" cab would be enough but the interior space is less than 18".... This is how they looked with the planner. You have to picture my counters going up to them, flush. My KA stand mixer is too tall for in there and I did not go for the spice carousels as planned in this pic. You can see how they extend my usable counter by keeping more stuff off of them. The middle top cab and the lower 3 cabs face away from the kitchen. I have put a lot of can goods back there and the one closest to the kitchen table has dh's extensive condiment collection. I am so glad that got moved out of the kitchen storage area :)
    ...See More
  • palimpsest
    14 years ago

Here are a couple of my favorite types:

Ripple fold sheers and drapes, soffit to floor, wall to wall on commercial type window walls.

Linen and silk, full length, with a simple valance and a little trim. Still looking good after 27 years.
    {{gwi:1884872}}

Floor to ceiling layer of sheers and heavy texture. They match the walls because the window is all the way in the corner.
    {{gwi:1884873}}

• andee_gw
    14 years ago

All of these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Windows on Cote de Texas

• hogar
    14 years ago

Fillagirl, love those silk panels. Those are the colors that I want for my master bedroom. Do you mind sharing your wall color?

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

A picture of Barefoot Contessa's velvet orange drapes, her signiture color.

But, I prefer silk, long and puddling on the floor, but heavy velvet comes in second, if the room is formal.

....Jane

{{gwi:1884874}}

• pps7
    14 years ago

I don't have any window treatments in my living area. I like the unclutteres look. In the bedrooms, I love silk panels like fillagirls or wood blinds or plantation shutters. For bathrooms, roman shades are nice.

I love the west elm panels below. For our new master, we will have patio doors 10' wide and 8' tall. Any ideas on how to get the room dark? Can I have the silk panels lines with something?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1884860}}

• fillagirl
    14 years ago

Hogar, wall colour is BM Inukshuk. Like it but I am changing the wall colour to BM Lennox Tan or Norwester Tan, think a golden undertone will be better with my cherry fireplace mantel.

• natal
    14 years ago

Jane, is that an apartment? I think I prefer her "barn" decorating style.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone!
    Fillagirl - I like that your mom made those, gorgeous!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

kjmama below you'll find a link to my photobucket WT inspiration album. WTs are probably my favorite part of decorating. Thought I'd save some bandwidth by not posting them all here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Becky's Photobucket WTs Inspirations.

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Actually, I read the Cote de Texas on windows last night and it got me thinking, I know nothing:) I am wondering are panels the only "approved" window treatment? Designers... can you weigh in? What is up with valences being a "don't?"
    I just thought it would be fun to see what made people smile in their own homes.
    Thanks

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

Oh, no! I just read through the Cote de Texas also, AND I just had my window treatments installed TODAY! Unfortunately, we did a "Don't," and they would think it looks silly, I guess, but I'm liking it...Actually, I LOVE our woven shades. It will take a little longer to LOVE the cornice (especially now that I learn that it is a No-No), but mostly because it just looks so different. While waiting for installation (about 4 weeks) we got used to the bare look, so it just looks different right now. Here are some pics I took today.

Shades up:

Shades down:

Breakfast room:

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

Personally I don't care, and never have, what others think about how I dress myself or my home. Yes, it's wonderful when they love what I love, but when it all comes down to it, if you don't like it then who cares how "in" it is, whatever "it" is.
    I'm not the only one that feels this way am I?

• carolfm
    14 years ago

No, you aren't the only one that feels that way. I've always said that my home only has to please me and make me happy. Like you, I think it is wonderful if others like it, but it isn't necessary :-)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I started to scroll through the CdeT WTs post and I just felt horribly insecure. Yes, I have always admitted (here and elsewhere) to being WTI (window treatment impaired) but honestly, "do it right or don't bother"??? How are we mere mortals to make any use of such advice? The stuff pictured is drop-dead gorgeous, of course, but I don't have the vision or the pocketbook. Deliver me...

That said, my favorite "problem-solver" WT that I whined about here for months, quite a number of years ago was this one. The panels were cheap, softened the nasty aluminum sliders and matched the paint perfectly!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

Natenvalsmom

Its a great valance. In your kitchen it is a "DO".

Strict dos and don'ts need to be taken with a grain of salt.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

I truly don't take advice from designers all that seriously...have you seen some of the train-wreck designs on HGTV? Some, of course, are classy and beautiful, but many are just confusing and irritating, not to mention ugly. I was not aware of "rules" about certain window treatments, and apparently, neither was the wonderful window treatment designer who helped us. My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    14 years ago

I don't follow trends, and use valances in some rooms. I make all of my own WTs from fabrics that I love.

Pierre Deux 'Geraine' fabric from eBay in kitchen for summer

Upstairs bathroom fall/winter embroidered Waverly fabric

Checked silk in half bath. I change this room out a lot.

• dekeoboe
    14 years ago

my3dogs - I really like that silk check topper. What pattern did you use for that one?

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

natenvalsmom - if it is wrong, it sure looks right... I'm ready to move in;)
    my3dogs - SO pretty, glad you like valences in happy colors... what a seamstress;)
    amysrq - I'm glad you understood the insecurity birthed in me, though that pic looks like it could fit in the do pictures. WOW! I love how airy it feels.
    You all are cheering me up:)

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

natenvalsmom and all others, please note that my last post was posted just two seconds after natenvalsmom posted her lovely WTs. It was just a coincidense that I mentioned not caring about trends at that time.
    natenvalsmom, I can tell you reply was written as tongue in cheek though it would be easier to do so if we could EASILY use italics or graphics to help show what emotion was being thought when instead of just relying on the written word here at the Garden Web. Not all of us know html without looking it up. In fact even when someone posted the codes awhile ago I couldn't get them to work here. I'm on a group at NING that shows the codes when you click on the the symbols for bold, italic, underline and crossout so I'm writting this message there and hoping by copy and pasting it into the message box here at the Garden Web it will show. If so I just might write all my messages that way. LOL.

YAY IT WORKED!

• karinl
    14 years ago

I'm a new arrival to window treatments, in terms of realizing there is a whole discipline and industry dedicated to them. I've been struggling to make things work with guesswork and home sewing for decades, so I'm having fun discovering what there is out there with respect to ideas and hardware, and above all, fabric!

Reading that Texas website (and I haven't got through it all, save that for a glass of vino one quiet evening), I am struck with how differently a designer thinks compared to a homeowner. There is one photo in which s/he deprecates the amateurish use of swags and elaborate tie-backs in a room with an 8-foot ceiling, saying how inappropriate the WT is for the setting. That's fine for a designer, to say THIS type of treatment goes in THAT type of setting, but not here - s/he has many jobs to choose from. For the homeowner, HERE is the only setting I have, and if I like swags and tie-backs, or valances, THIS is the only place I have available to put them. So I'm gonna do it and it's gonna make me happy, as per the OP, devil take the designer's opinion. That said, there are boundaries, but they are simply more flexible for homeowners. Thank heavens!

And I do thank you, justgotaBme, for posting your photobucket album! That's a nice variety with some outstanding ideas.

I'm afraid I don't have much to show yet that's finished. My house is old, and its best feature is its wide wood mouldings, so I've been working on WT that will allow the use of nice rods and finials - which I love - with the window frame showing (and some of those aren't stripped yet, so are still languishing under layers of old paint in the basement). And just as I'm figuring it out and getting stuff done, I'm realizing we need to repaint all the rooms after living here for 16 years AND we may be getting new windows, so I'm reluctant to choose, let alone cut and sew, fabric just yet.

KarinL

• spiffy6241
    14 years ago

I love the picture that you posted, amysrq! That looks beautiful. I assume that you used small rods for each panel?

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

'Do it right or don't bother' um, ouch! What's 'right'? And who makes these rules, anyway? Have they ever been traced back to a stand the-test-of-time source? You know, like the Tollhouse recipe...does an equivalent for WTs exist?
    *stares out valance covered window & ponders this*

If we do something because someone else says it's 'proper', but doesn't particularly work for us, shouldn't we toss our comfort level right out the well-dressed window?

My windows are like the Road Rules Challenge of all windows. Another hitch: I'm one of those people who craves daylight, without it, my body will go into pseudo hibernation. It's a very real issue in winter. The windows in my house are really wonky. Average size windows set sideways (man, was that a stony maneuver on someone's part). My dogs can't see outside. My nieces couldn't see outside till they passed the age of 9. (Unless they stood at the storm door, which doesn't fly when it's -20 and the door is coated in ice. How do you tell a mom her kid wanted to see out and got stuck to the glass.) With the exception of my lr picture window, all sills hit at chest height and I'm 5'8". So in the dimmest rooms I used every trick I could think of to dress those windows and lasso every beam of sunshine I could get my hands on. Tried panels in some rooms. Picture if you will, tall elegant panels on a squat, extra wide window with an expanse of 4' of painted wall below it. It's a very funky look (the phrase 'your mama dresses you funny' comes to mind.) So valances set higher on the wall, to make the window look taller, with (gasp) mini-blinds was it. Continually hitting big expenditures that break the budget just doesn't leave room for the white wooden blinds I'd love to have. Maybe it makes me a backward bumpkin in the rule book, but it works for me. And until a 'eureka!' solution slaps me upside the head (or we move), it sure beats hanging out in gloomy rooms in a blue funk all day. ;)

Amy, funny you should mention your insecurities. I have spent some time this morning studying your MBR photo (green paint suggestion for scanmike). Would like to keep a copy of that photo to use your WT as a reference, if you don't mind. Light, airy, crisp, clean...aahh. If I could just taylor it to my wonky MBR windows somehow. *rolleyes*

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

An interesting thread. After viewing the link for Cote de Texas, I know I'm playing the minor leagues. But, I have been very pleased with our Living Room after making new window treatments. My DH built the cornace which we upholstered and I sewed the panels.

{{gwi:1875358}}

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, Moon. I struggled with those windows, too. I know they are not to everyone's taste, but like you, I wanted to scoop up as much light as possible, have a smidge of privacy and try to get a finished look. In retrospect, I think my "fear" of over-sized hardware really was pretty ridiculous. I should have gone a little (or a lot) beefier.

The Tollhouse Cookies of Window Treatments....now, that's what I've been looking for all my life! :-)

Spiffy, I actually used sash rods. I wanted them to disappear and they were just right for the Belgian Linen Sheers, which I got at Restoration Hardware on sale for $45/panel.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

natenvalsmom, would you share your wall color? The whole kitchen is so pretty, but that color looks like what I have been wanting! Thanks.

• natenvalsmom
    14 years ago

cyn427 - Thanks for the kind words. The paint was a bit of an issue because of the light in the kitchen. The area above the sink receives so much light, that whatever we liked THERE was too, too dark in the family room/breakfast room, and anything that looked great in the FR/BR was too washed out above the sink. So......we actually have 2 colors that were next to each other on the Benjamin Moore color strip. The darker color (Louisburg Green HC113) is above the sink, and the lighter color is in the BR/FR (Saybrook Sage HC 114). They look pretty much the same most of the time, I guess because of how the light enters the room, and if it was all the same color, the darker corners of the FR would look really dark (no windows there).

Hope this helps, and Happy Thanksgiving!

• justgotabme
    14 years ago

KarinL, you are very welcome. I glad you enjoyed my album.

• museblues
    14 years ago

such lovely windows...and some delightful ideas, both written and shown :)

we are still pondering the window treatments for our kitchen/dining space...

thanks for helping spark my imagination!

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    14 years ago

Thanks, natenvalsmom! What a great idea to use the two colors! My galley kitchen may need the lighter with the darker in the FR area at one end. Brilliant. And, Happy Thanksgiving to you also-and everyone here!

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Natenvals, that is a truly good fix to the all-too-common paint dilemna......one color is perfect in most of the space, but looks a little washed out or muddy or whatever on one wall or in one adjoining room. Most of us don't think about doing that--just using the next brighter/darker color on the same strip for the problem area. Now, that's good decorating!

And speaking of good decorating and pretty window treatments, I very much enjoyed seeing everyone's favorites, and even enjoyed cote de texas treatment of treatments.......although she can go a bit 'over the top' for my taste sometimes. And here's the thing....yeah, valances per se are not so in fashion right now. But that does not mean they are 'out'. OUT like Harvest gold washing machines, or stuffed geese on the mantel, or mauve carpet with sponge-painted walls out........Nope. They are maybe not as 'In' as lush drapes or plantation shutters or bamboo rollups, but they are most definitely not out. Take a nice long look at Beautiful Kitchens magazine by Better Homes & Gardens that ttodd so kindly told us to go out and buy this week, (Winter '09 issue) and look at the valances on these fabulous designer kitchens!
    Kinda makes you think about what you just saw on natenvalsmom's windows, huh? And I loved the first few pages on the use of neutral paint colors, just as Tiffany oh tiffany ttodd, said that I would!!

Red

• jbwebb
    14 years ago

hi - y'all
    I feel kind of horrible reading these comments. When I posted that about window treatments - that is just like how I do them! not what you should do. everyone should do what they like without me making you feel bad. Oy!! THAT Makes me FeEL HORRIBLE!!!! I am not being judgmental. It's more like a guide for people who are interested in knowing what i would suggest if i were their interior designer! Also, I tried to show what doesn't work and why. People make mistakes and I tried to show that. But if you like swags and tails - go for it. Or cornices. It's not to say there's something wrong or bad about different treatments. I personally
    like panels now. I find them easier to use and simplier. but that's not to say I don't appreciate a beautiful fancy window treatment because I DO. I was just showing what I like personally and how to avoid making decorating mistakes!!!!!! I feel terrible. uggggh. just ignore my pathetic attempts at trying to be a teacher.

• parma42
    14 years ago

Oh goodness, jb. Don't feel that way!

You had a wonderful guide on WTs. I enjoyed it, immensely, and didn't see where you derided anything as being out . It was more about scale and design (in a perfect world).

I took it as inspiration.

• User
    14 years ago

My two favorites, my meditation/away room and my bedroom:

• kjmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, you never know what will happen on the internet! Hi JB! I guess I should weigh in since I started this :)....

Well, we are working on a home right now so I have been checking out books like crazy out of the library on decorating, window treatments... and asking questions here on gardenweb. I haven't had to decorate a house in x# years, so I need some help. I want to learn! I don't want our home to look dumb, that is why I'm trying to learn... Aren't we all trying to make our homes the best, prettiest, warmest they can be?

Your blog entry set insecurity in my heart because you clearly did illustrate your points... and it was nothing really I had been reading in my books. This surprised and perplexed me, as a novice. :) I did learn from your pictures. I learned that window shades do look better outside the trim and in line with the drapes. WOW. I never noticed that before...

SO, you just go on teaching:) I also read cook's illustrated magazine to try to learn something about cooking... they are just as opinionated and descriptive as you (do you read them?). It is about refining taste I suppose... BUT I still like to use cream of mushroom soup, which they seem to abhore:) and I'll probably put up a few valences in our new home as that is all we can do and I like them. I may also try some pretty simple panels with blinds ordered as you suggest and I will probably feel proud (I hope) that, "hey this looks pretty good!"

Thanks for jumping in. Many Blessings!

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

jbwebb don't you dare apologize for your WT guide. I loved it. And I LOVE your blog and read it every day. You have great taste. Classic looks and great fabrics will never go out of style. kjmamma simple panels and rods are very popular right now. I like them dressed up with pinch pleats and trim. I also like bamboo blinds if they are sized and hung right.

{{gwi:1884878}}

{{gwi:1884879}}

{{gwi:1863484}}

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Natal that is Barefoot's Manhattan apt., and I do like her barn decorating better as well.

.....Jane

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

jbwebb, I see that you are Cote De Texas owner. (Nice to meet you. ;)

As I am one of the ones who paraphrased you, I feel compelled to respond. First, my post was coming from a very tongue in cheek place, heavy on the snarky side toward my own windows. I've bemoaned these windows a few times over the years here, this post is not the first. But on the bright side, they are keeping the cold and snow out this morning. That is a great deal to be thankful for, so won't complain too much.

You didn't make me feel bad about how my own windows are dressed. I can do that without any outside assistance. ;) I hope I didn't make you feel bad about your comments. Wasn't my intent. (There has been a recurrent theme in discussions here lately about 'rules', and that made it's way into my thoughts when posting above.) So combine the rules discussions with my wonky windows and it's an arena for me where most rules (prefer 'guidelines') simply don't fit.

As I was typing the comment 'My windows are like the Road Rules Challenge of all windows', I wondered what someone like yourself would do with them. (Not a blog follower, but have visited a few times via Home Dec.) But I'll be honest, when I followed the link above to your blog, I stopped after the first ten or so photos, because they were all grand. And I thought what I usually do when I look at a grand window: beautiful, stunning, would be great to have all that light. And then I tuned out. Because it's difficult for me to glean practical information I can walk away with and use. To a designer, a grand window is probably the best canvas to work with and showcase their talents. Some here can emulate those looks and pull it off. But many can't. Either we're window challenged, the window is a challenge, or both.

I gave your blog a second chance just now, went back and scrolled through all the photos. 3 times. ;) Once beyond the grand ones the size scale dropped. (Still, all are large and nicely proportioned on the wall). Lo and behold, I might have gleaned something. I first saw what you labeled as a "DON'T" (and I agree, tried it long ago, returned it). Rod/ panel high on the wall, white window frame, woven blind inside mount. (But did see a discrepancy further down when a designer did the same thing under the "Do's".) Anyway, you mentioned on the homeowner's DON'T example that it would look better w/woven blind outside mounted and just behind rod, so it covers both wall space above window and white frame. (There was one of those aforementioned 'slap myself up the head' moments!) Why didn't I think of that?!? Now that might be something I could pull off. I'm part way there in one room. FR w/ 8' ceilings. Panels are raised to the ceiling. I took a scarf that matches a color in plaid panels and make one swoop across the rod, just to cover the gap between rod, painted wall, white window frame. Scarf tails are hidden behind panels on the wall area. Successfully hid most of the window/wall contrast, but it's still visible from a side angle and bugs me. Plus I'm tired of scarves. Because of extra height it brings the excessive wall space below the window into better proportion. But that's a low light room with furniture near windows that distract the eye. Upstairs in full light where nothing is near/below the window I don't know if it would work (will have to photoshop test it). But woven wood blinds I've tried have minimal clearance. So if they're going to tend to hug the wall, how does one overcome the 'hump' of the upper window frame when the woven blinds are lowered? (When I close blinds I leave panels stationery/open. Even tho I always install enough width to be able to shut them, it's just what I prefer to do.)

My other challenge window is my picture window. It's 112" long, but only 48 high and takes up nearly the entire wall. I got it as close as I can, but walked away in frustration. It's not hideous, but it's not 'right' to me either. So every time I walk past it I cringe.

I did say "it works for me", but that doesn't mean it's gratifying. I still yearn for something more refined, more finished. As long as I have lived here I have wished for someone (Southern Living, Traditional Home, Martha when I liked her, or hey, now how about you!) to take on this challenge that so many of us face. But the catch is the grand window is not a contender. The huge windows in uber chic settings has been done so many times and doesn't have a lot of practical application for so many of us. There are a lot of us readers/consumers/subscribers kicking around that don't have massive windows nor the massive budget to dress them. Just average size in average size homes but there is something goofy about them that just creates a major hurdle. So I'd really like to see a designer tackle our Challenge Windows in various shapes and sizes (short, squat, tall, narrow, sideways and too high like mine) and show us what they've got. An entire article devoted to Wonky Windows! There are a lot of us who have done the best we can but are still left feeling frustrated. An article like that with photo layout would be refreshing and rewarding to see!

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I suppose I am she who paraphrases!

Here's the line that gave me pause: Curtains are tricky though they need to be done right, executed perfectly, or its better to not bother with them at all.

While I think the blog is quite wonderful and the WT post certainly has instructional value, a statement like that does not empower people to do the best with what they have -- talent, resources, access to materials or professional help. I think the illusion of Perfection can be crippling -- à la do it right or don't do it at all.

As for the apology, feeling horrible and admonition to "ignore...pathetic attempts at trying to be a teacher", I am not sure that is really necessary, jbwebb. You have expressed your opinions on the subject of WTs and clearly you have a high level of expertise, not only for decorating but also for blogging. I think everyone here respects you for that.

But, you have your audience and it won't necessarily include all of us, for a variety of reasons. If someone commented that she only liked minimalist, contemporary looks in WTs, I can't imagine you'd be so ruffled. It's just a matter of personal taste afterall. I guess you could say that Perfectly Done Panels are a matter of taste, too.

I sincerely hope that your "upset" post above was a passing reaction and that you were quite well over it before the ink was dry. I am sure you have better things to worry about. :-)

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Cross-posted, Moon!

you are my long-lost sister, aren't you?!size=1>

The NYTimes has been running a series where designers are doing pro bono work for people with a very limited budget (relatively speaking.) It has been a lot of fun to read and I think anyone can register and read on-line. I love the similar challenge you have set forth for jbwebb and design bloggers everywhere!

I am not a big blog reader either, but I wonder if there are any design blogs out there that address those of us with wonky windows, limited budgets, modest fabric sources, limited vision, etc. Oh...waiduminit...that's why we're all here at GW! ;-)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

you are my long-lost sister, aren't you?!
    Ha, yeah, I've had my suspicions for awhile now, too!

Thanks for the NY Times info! I'll check it out!

• malhgold
    14 years ago

kimmieb - any resource for the bamboo blinds in the first pic you posted? Thanks!

• animukho
    14 years ago

palimpsest: Can you provide some resources on the ripple fold drapes? I am thinking about using them for my patio sliding door and wanted to know if there's an "affordable" option. After all my kitchen expenses, I'm maxed out everywhere; any ideas?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I wonder if there are any design blogs out there that address those of us with wonky windows, limited budgets, modest fabric sources, limited vision, etc

Well, there's this one, but to be honest, after a while it palls a bit--always the same mid-century modern/West Elm/Ikea look. But they do have some clever ideas. I found the bamboo shade in the middle thing there a long time ago.

(I thought there was nothing wrong with the Cote du Texas blog entry, if you read the whole thing. If you take umbrage and stop reading early you miss a lot of stuff later that clarifies some of those statements, although it does seem like everyone in that blog has ceilings at least ten feet high. :))

Here is a link that might be useful: young house love (formerly This Young House)

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Isn't it wonderful that so many of us are so passionate about a subject like window treatments? I love that about this forum...to find people who are as empassioned about decorating as I am.

I found the cote de Texas blog about draperies helpful in many ways. There were many things pointed out that wouldn't take much more money to do "correctly". Those things were 1. Hang blides just under the drapery rod 2) buy cheaper fabric and create volumes. Granted, this applies more often to the traditional room, but then again, Cote has clearly labeled herself as a traditionalist so I didn't expect her to address minimalist modern drapery design and 3) what a designer's eye sees that others of us may not see.

These little differences, how blinds are hung in relation to windows, are what make the difference between a well desgined, beautiful, ohmygod how lovely kind of room, to a gee, that's pretty kind of room.

I also got a good deal of inspiration from many of the photos. Choices that are bold and have personality look so wonderful if executed well. I loved the blog and have saved it to my favorites! I'll be referring to it again and again, I'm sure.

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

writersblock: jackpot!
    Now that's what I'm talkin' about.
    And I'm craving more!

This picture window they have is so very similar to mine. (Mine only has about 2' of wall on the outer edges, so takes up most of the wall, looks like mine might be a bit taller & wider.) I would need two 60" blinds. I think I might be able to pull off what they did (fingers crossed). The bamboo shade appealed to me but I had never seen it done on a wide window like mine. I even like their taste in decor, which makes all the more appealing. Now that I've seen it done on a very similar window, I like it! Only concern is vertical seam, but not sure I'll worry about that till I try it. (I still haven't patched the screw holes behind sheers from the last fiasco, I was so disgusted. ;) I can see the seam in theirs if I zoom, does it look too funky? (I'll leave the blind up and close the sheers at night as I've been doing.) I could fill up an entire page of what I've tried, returned, tweaked, and done on that window and it always fell short of being 'right'. Rod at frame height, made it look a mile long. Rod high on the wall (as I have it now) but no gratifying solution to hide the wall space between frame and rod. So I settled for the most passable 'creation' I could come up with but it has always bothered me.

Now I'm getting fired up! That only leaves the turned sideways wonky windows. Actually, the windows in their den (scroll just beyond the master bedroom) are also quite similar to mine in how they sit on the wall. Think mine are a bit wider and sit higher up, but there's that big wall space below like I have.(Oh, to add some spice to that mix, the lower level ones are recessed by 6" or so. No idea why they were done that way.)

I've been browsing that blog, their creativity with some things (nice kitchen) just knocks my socks off!

Thanks, I'm very grateful for the link!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

Follow their links and you'll find a lot more like them. I agree, they are *very* creative. I just wish that once in a while they'd do something in a different style.