SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ontariomom

Pot lights, switches, pendants oh my! Please help me decide.

ontariomom
10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I am not sure when all this layout planning will stop and we will be able to get our electrical rough in done for this kitchen. I do know that the longer I dragged my heels on this design, the longer our family lives in a house without insulation (not good for Canadian weather - we did that last winter brrrrr).

I have shown 4 inch pot lights plunked down in the aisles. I need to know exaclty where to place them. We will do some under cabinet lighting, but there is not very many upper cabinets. We would like some pendants, not sure how many and if we should place them over both the peninsula and the island. We might consider in cabinet lighting for the glass cabinet.

I have shown one switch upon the entry to kitchen from a hallway, however, I know I will need a switch in the dining room too and also the kitchen proper. The dining room is on the other side of the peninsula. We had planned a backsplash as shown on the back of the peninsula. Do you think we should build a half wall here so we can place switches here for the dining room? The peninsula is raised to 39 inches as we prefer taller sinks and DWs. The rest of our switches in the part of the house have been planned at 42 inches to bottom of switch.

If you have any thoughts on the lighting and switches it would be greatly appreciated. Below is the floor plan and a side elevation picture. Neither is completely up to date (especially the elevation picture).

Please help get this electrical rough in done so we can move on to insulation and not freeze this winter.

Carol

Comments (5)