SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parma42

Updates, halfway there, pics

parma42
14 years ago

Our LR and DR have been doing a slow crawl since we moved in, two years ago.

Because of the economic downturn, the custom (and long) WTs got put off for a few more years. We're trying for a re-fi to a lower rate/shorter term so we can at least try to make up some of the money we lost by building at just the worst time possible.

An appraiser is coming in a few weeks and I'd like to get some of the easier (read cheaper) things done. I don't mind critiques.

Woven woods will be added behind the WTs. I need new pillows because the bigger ones were from our FR sofa and I just have them in the LR for now. The table between the two windows seems to be too much like the bunching tables, and in a row, so I'm thinking maybe round? The vintage oak table need to be cleared and new accessories and lamp added.

In the DR, the tall server needs something better on top and I'm wondering if I can stack another picture above the lonely one on its left. Still haven't been able to figure out the bending? wall behind the round table. Something on both parts? Only on one of them? If so, which one?

Kick away!! :)

Oh, last two are the before pics and I'm sorry if the pics turned out too large. Tested a new camera today, thanks to the help I got on the Conversations side.

Comments (43)

• aworkley
    14 years ago

Looks really nice. It does take time to decorate doesn't it. I fret over all of my choices...unfortunately...so that takes even longer:-) Can I ask what color is on the walls?

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

I love seeing your updates. Your choices are always so pretty and sophisticated.

The only things that I'm not sure about are the curtain rods. Gosh, Parma, you know I am not trying to sound harsh, but the only way I can describe it is the feeling you get when you talk to someone with a unibrow.

The rods look so empty between the drapes. I'm not sure why because that is the look. ::o/

• Related Discussions

update: update: mnf: there's no place like home swap

Q

Comments (48)
    Norma, I tried to send you an email, but it's not enabled on your GW page for me to do so. Faye posted that the tornadoes that ripped through the middle of the country last week, took her house and just about everything with it. Faye has a whole lot to deal with right now, so how about I send you your box? If that's okay with you, please email me. And I'll email Faye and let her know. It will be one less thing she'll need to worry about. Hope to hear from you soon! :) vina ps...Sue and Grace, SO glad you liked the iris...I saw them and bought one for myself too :) US iris junkies need to stick together, lol!
    ...See More

Update: I tufted my padded headboard (pics)

Q

Comments (44)
    Thank you for all your nice comments! My sofa came from a model home they were selling the contents of, I bought it for about $150. It has a $2000 price tag under one of the cushions and was a custom sofa made for the builder. A good friend of mine bought some chairs that were in the living room with the sofa. She got a great deal too, we were both really lucky. They are gorgeous big plaid, black and white. A big plaid really looks great with the toile too. You're welcome about the pictures, hope they gave you some inspiration for your room!
    ...See More

Dining Room to Office.... Getting There... (pics)

Q

Comments (6)
    I love what you've done. Great paint color. The room has such a nice look to it. Doesn't read like a utilitarian office space. With that in mind, when you pick out your new light, I'd like to see another chandy or at the least, a semi-flush. One that doesn't look like a dining room but is in keeping with what the rest of the room will look like, down the line. If you do choose to add window treatments and replace the desk, cool lighting will just add another nice element to your space.
    ...See More

Halfway through cab painting---mistake?

Q

Comments (18)
    I think the wall color and cabinets look fine together. Much nicer than the previous oak look. I also think adding the glass doors to those two cabinets was a very good decision. If it were my kitchen I would do the dark grey on the pantry and desk area and then instead of doing white subways, I would the darker grey into the kitchen area by using dark grey subway (the same or similar grey as the dark grey cabinets) for the backsplash. It looks like your granite has some wine colored specks in it. I would try to add some of that color in an accent piece or two. I think you are probably overwhelmed and frustrated with your reno. Painting the cabinets yourself was a huge undertaking. I think your should finish the cabinets, then take a break and after you have lived with it for a while then reassess the wall color.
    ...See More
  • deborahnj
    14 years ago

Parma, I always love seeing your home as you have such great style and one that I absolutely love! I'm sure you will get great advice.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

I had to come back to this thread because I realized that my comment might scare off newbies from sharing in the future. If you hang around here long enough, you will discover that I'm not critical, I am just a word clutz.

Anyway, I'm sorry that I could find better words in my previous post.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Deborah! Thanks.

PC, I know what you mean about the rods. That's another reason I'm adding the woven woods. They'll be about rod height, so perhaps that will help. It will add a lot more depth.

Without any nice architectural details and until we can add crown&longer panels, we're stuck with the more inexpensive fixes. Mantra-This too shall pass. :)

Thanks Amy. The color is SW Ivoire.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

PC, I know that the recent posts about the lack of "kindness" might have been misconstrued.

I asked for critiques and would have expected nothing less. :)

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

Parma, I think you could stack another picture over the server. I also think a wall decor item to the right of the bend in the DR would be nice. Now as to what the item should be, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe a tapestry or wrought iron piece?

Finally do you have a head on shot of the server? I can't tell the size by the pics posted. I'm wondering if two buffet lamps would work on the server. Again not 100% sure based on the angle of the current pics.

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Wow, Parma! It really looks great. You have managed to keep the look "of a piece" while still feeling quite eclectic. Totally love the mirror over the server. That little alcove, which has confounded you so, has turned out well. As for what to put on top, I am not good with tablescapes, so I'll leave that to others...

I think I'd like to see three small square pieces, stacked, on the wall to the left of the server. The "lonely" one looks crowded to me.

Agree with Deborah's suggestion of a tapestry, or similar, on the larger of the two walls. It should be big, fill the wall, so that you might not have to put anything on the other wall.

• User
    14 years ago

Other than adding something on the wall in the dining room, looks pretty much perfect to me. Beautful house.

• jjam
    14 years ago

As for the divided wall behind your table, wonder what several identical framed prints would look like. Maybe a group of six on the larger wall and four on the other? It would be easy to do as a mock up; just cut 11 by 14 (or similar) squares out of newspaper and put them up with the poster putty that comes right off. You could at least get an idea of what something like that would look like. I know botanicals have been done to death but they are gorgeous; or maybe some architectural prints?

I think the woven woods will look great. Have you thought of using a round mirror where your one lonely picture is to the left of your table? If you want to keep the picture you have I'd stack something above it.

Beautiful home!

• charlieinnj
    14 years ago

Parma ~
    I think everything looks beautiful! I agree with the idea of a wall item on the right-side of the bending wall. Your tall server is absolutely gorgeous!

The only thing I think looks a bit 'off' is the scale of the picture on the table separating your living/dining area. It looks overpowered by the size of the candlesticks, etc. Maybe it's not the scale of the picture but it seems very low on the wall, to me.

• kiko_gw
    14 years ago

Wow!! Love it! Your settee is to die for ! Very inspired choice of dining chairs. And I love your bunching tables.

I'm not much help, but a softer shape table between the two windows sounds great. Maybe a demi-lune? On the blank wall: maybe sconces, a carved or plaster wall shelf with a vase, an antique clock or a set of intaglios??

• juddgirl2
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I've always loved your dining room and colors.

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what you need for light control, but instead of the blinds, have you considered sheers between the drapes? Maybe sheers with a little texture.

• vdinli
    14 years ago

parma, your LR and DR look really nice. What strikes me is the uniform tone of beige/brown/white. Maybe you prefer it that way or maybe its my crappy monitor! But I would add a few shots of bright color-maybe pulled from your accent chair or drapes. I know fake flowers are a serious no-no here-if you don't mind them, use them-esp with the fall colors inundating the market, you should be able to find something vibrant and cheap at shops like Pier 1 etc.
    I would also put something low on the coffee table(s) or dining table or maybe use a throw on the sofa.
    I can't believe I am actually giving decorating advice!! take it for what its worth..nothing :-)

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies!

Vibudev, it's not your monitor, it's my lousy picture taking. Even with the new camera, everything looks washed out.

Actually, there's not a thing beige in the two areas. The LR rug is a fairly bright (almost chartruese) patterned oushak. The WTs are dark green, red and gold. I hate just having three colors so there's a bright and dark blue dish, from some friends in Morocco, on one of the bunching tables and some blue books on the other. The walls are yellow.

The DR rug is kind of cinnamon, red and blue. Lots of bright colors in the French pottery that's in the china and server.

The chair that bridges the area is an amalgamation of all colors in both areas and a bit of purple, too.

Charlie, you're right about the little pic. I had it there before I got the taller server. I really hate working with tall ceilings and sometimes try for a cozier look. Gave up on that and bought the server. Now have to change some other things.

Thanks to everyone else about their ideas for the DR wall. I was really holding out for some original art, but when I try to put any large picture on that wall, it ends up looking funny.

Deborah, I'll try to find some other shots when I get back from getting the weird little gray things, that have appeared on the top inch of my scalp, taken care of. :)

• pat_tea
    14 years ago

Oh Parma; your home is beautiful and I am encouraged to read that even the most magnificent of homes can be critiqued and improved upon. It gives me hope. While I am here I want to thank you for helping me with my sunroom. Patti

• amysrq
    14 years ago

Holy cow....lots of colors. Who knew? Get that camera...!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

House looks beautiful! Hopefully, you will have the same luck that we did last year when we refinanced. Our house appraised for about $75,000 more than we paid for it 2 years earlier (been in the house 3 years now, so not sure we could currently get the appraised amount!)

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kiko, bella helped with the chairs. She has such great style. Drexel Heritage as is the curved sofa. Bunching tables are spray painted Overstock at a quarter the price of the set at Pottery Barn. Small settee is Overstock, also. Couldn't believe it came in such a nice fabric.

Amy...NO WAY! When I had an ID do a window treatment in the old place, she asked if I had a "palette". I ripped out an old catalogue from the Chicago Art Museum. Had saved this pic of a scarf. I think it was inspired by an old stained glass window. It had rust, green, gold and blue. Very subtle colors. She paused for less than a second and said that it was a modified arts and crafts palette.

I swear she made that up on the spot. You ever hear of that?

BTW, guess what I will be doing next week? Jury duty. Yuck!

Pat tea, I've always wanted a smaller, older home (or maybe even a new craftsman). It's great to hear that someone likes it.

Newhomebuilder, where on earth do you live? Homes in our subdivision have lost an average of $100,000 in the last two years. Good for you on your re-fi! Me thinks we're just wasting $400 on the appraisal. Keep your fingers crossed.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

Your home is beautiful! Decorating (for me) is very hard work, but also lots of fun.

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Deborah, I don't have a better pic of the hutch. I'll try to snap one this weekend. It takes up a lot of the width in the niche (a good thing), and I thought of lamps but wasn't sure if they could be placed in front of it.

Sorry again for the big pics and everyone having to scroll. Don't have a clue why that happened. Just checked Photobucket and my sizing is set to where it's alwways been. Maybe the new camera?

Our new kitty is enjoying the rugs. She doesn't scratch them but has demolished all the furniture in the family room.

The biggest problem area I have now is the space to the left of the curved sofa. I have an antique, oil converted to electric, two-sided (clear glass chimneys) brass lamp that was in my grandmothers family forever. If I didn't use the milk glass covers, am wondering if I could put that on the oak chest?

Kitty, thanks! Sometimes it's fun and sometimes it seems like too much work and worry. Depends on my mood. :)

Hmm, now the pics aren't too big anymore?!

• nhb22
    14 years ago

"Newhomebuilder, where on earth do you live? Homes in our subdivision have lost an average of $100,000 in the last two years. Good for you on your re-fi! Me thinks we're just wasting $400 on the appraisal. Keep your fingers crossed."

In East Tennessee in a golf community. We have a view of the golf course from the front, and a beautiful hillside from the back.

I just think we got a pretty good deal on our house to begin with, but we did do a few things to "upgrade" the look that added value to the house. Also, a nicely furnished and decorated house will always look more valuable than a "naked" house. I think you have that look!

Now, saying all the above doesn't mean that the appraised value will bring an equal sale. Good luck!

BTW - The re-fi was to get money to re-do our screened porch, build a pergola, and tear out/re-build our stinky, ventless and useless fireplace. Instead, that money ended up paying for our daughters wedding! Thank goodness for that, but we will have to wait for the market to come way up before attempting any upgrading again. UGH, no warm fireplace again this winter. :(

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ahh, Tennessee.

On our short list for retirement states. You get so much more bang for your buck, down South, than here in Chicago. I love it when a house is bricked in the back...prohibitive where we live.

Good grief! Just got an email from DH. Appraiser is coming Monday morning at 8:30. Weekend is being spent taking care of elderly dad and I have to leave for jury duty at 7:15 am Mon. DH has plane to catch later in the morning.

Might as well just hand him the $400.

NHB, we didn't finish our fireplace, yet, either. Waiting for better times. :)

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

Parma: good luck w/ the appraisal -- Your house looks gorgeous. Don't worry too much. Your house has all the things that count in an appraiser's book: high ceiling, large windows, granite countertop, hardwood floor. They don't pay too much attention to decorative stuff.

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

Hey Parma, thanks for the pics. The pics up close makes me see just how beautiful your furniture is. I was actually thinking about lamps on the server in the DR not the one in the niche. Sorry for the confusion!! With the gorgeous black mirror you have, I think lamps there would be a distraction.

Deb

• mcps
    14 years ago

I always enjoy looking at your rooms Parma! The current issue of Southern Living has an article about decorating a sideboard. They show a white ironstone bowl with magnolia leaves inside in the middle of their arrangement. I have my Grandmother's silver tea service on mine - something like that would look nice as well.

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Very nice! Your home is looking lovely! Great job :)
    Bonnie

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bonniee and mcps.

Sorry for the confusion Deborah. That black chest is pretty small but I think a lamp, or two, might work. My problem (one of many) is with the skinny wall to the left of the tall server. That piece is so massive that the picture I have there is getting lost.

I hope so bella. The prices are so depressed here. Sure wish we would have waited a year to move. Well, hindsight's 20/20.

• User
    14 years ago

I keep coming back this this but have no advise to offer since I'm not good at this thing. I just wanted to say I love your home. Your furnishings are so pretty. Where did you get that mirror again?

I hope you're appraisal goes well!

Arwen is getting big!

• User
    14 years ago

Parma, your home is beautiful, I love your design style, very calm and classy. Good luck with your appraisal, I hope it turns out well for you!

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

I like the limited palette.

I know you are working with some architectural features that aren't your favorite, but it is coming together.

• busybee3
    14 years ago

beautiful home! i have just begun looking at this forum because i am looking to change some things in my home. i love your mirror! the only thing that "bothers" me when i look at the pics is the dr rug...with proximity of lr rug, i would probably choose to have no rug at all in the dr or mirror the rectangular shape (which then might look odd with your table shape).

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I get what you're saying busybee. Here's a blueprint.

I really wanted a rectangular rug (even had one picked out) but, as much as I tried, it just wouldn't fit with the angle in the DR. I looked for a square but couldn't find one I liked.

When finances are better, the round might go in the breakfast room and another search for a square for the DR.

Thanks for your comments.

Shee, you're such a sweetie to remember Arwen's name. :) Have to admit to being more of a dog person, in the past, so she has been an adjustment. They sure don't seem to have the same psychology.

The mirror is from Anthropologie.

Pal, you're correct. I've spent more time muttering about the architectural features (or lack of) in this house...it's just time to start getting it done. Looks like we'll be here for the long haul. Glad you like the palette.

Thank you lukkiirish. I'm really freaking out about the appraisal. Short sale a few blocks over just listed for $130,000 less than they paid 3 years ago. Yikes!

• User
    14 years ago

Please let us know how it goes. The good news is, the area you're in (Chicago right?) is one that is predicted to jump back pretty quick. Ha! In my area, 130,000 is nothing and we're in for a long haul Yikes!!!

• amylville
    14 years ago

Parma, your home is gorgeous. One quick suggestion in your dining room; I think the ladder would look better on the other side of the table. It looks kind of "utilitarian" in the spot it is in now JMHO. Let us know how it goes, I am quite curious as I am in the chicago area as well

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy, I couldn't figure out if you were joking, or not.

Decided to let you (and anyone else) know that the ladder is utilitarian. I was messing around with the WTs and I have tendonitis in both wrists. Decided to wait for DH to come home and put it away. :)

Just got back from jury duty. Appraiser came after I left and DH showed him around before he (DH) drove to the airport (haven't spoken to him yet). Don't know how long it will be until BOA hears from the appraisal company. I'd imagine a week or less.

Thanks for asking. It helps to have people rooting for me!

I'll keep you both informed.

• amylville
    14 years ago

Parma, I was joking ;)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Hi Parma! Haven't been around much lately so I scanned a few pages to see what I missed. So glad I caught this!

Your house has such a quiet, serene elegance! You should be very proud of what you have accomplished. I think you're ready for a holiday open house! Your dh must love returning home from his travels. He has such a nice environment to retreat to (not to mention being w/ you & Miss Arwen!)

All areas "down south," btw, do not necessarily provide a lot of bang for the buck. I live in VA & bought around the same time you did, spent about the same amount you spent, & got far less for my money than you. My house is 22 yrs. old w/dated baths, small kitchen w/mismatched appliances, aging heating & cooling system & windows. I'm not whining, it is what it is, but just wanted you to know that I often think of you as getting a simply fantastic deal, & have been amazed at the great real estate prices in Chicago from your example! It's all relative. I know we're in better straits here than many in other parts of the country due to the large military presence in my area. While home values have fallen, they haven't plummeted as they have in some states.

We are doing a re-fi too! What interest rate are you getting, if you don't mind sharing?

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Stinky! Long time, no see.

I knew that Virginia is quite expensive. It would be a place that I would love to retire to, but too much $$$.

I don't mind sharing the re-fi info, at all. What were are trying to do is convert a 20yr 6.375% into a 15yr 4.75%. Payments will be the same but the principle will accumulate so much faster.

Hope the appraisal comes quickly. I'm really nervous about a comp down the street. Of course, it's a short sale, and I don't know how they're comparing those to a non distressed (at least in my mind, lol) live-in property.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

• stinky-gardener
    14 years ago

Hi again! I hear ya! We're going from a 15 yr. at 5.375% to a 10 yr. at 4.25%. We won't save on the monthly payment either, but the savings in interest over the life of the loan will sure add up!

• karezz
    14 years ago

Can you tell me where you found the large plaque over the windows?

• parma42
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karezz, I got it at Ballard's (Ballarddesigns.com) on a big sale.

Just looked and they don't carry it any more. They do have another one, that's a bit different, but it's $200.