SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funkyart_gw

WWYD with this bed?

funkyart
11 years ago

I'll try to keep the back story short-- I purchased this antique bed a few years ago and unfortunately, I paid much more for it than I can now get selling it through a consignment shop or on craigslist (by at least a factor of 10x). I was going for a custom finish that looked as though it had been left out in the garden for a few years. Unfortunately, it hasnt worked out all that well for me.. I find it too feminine and youthful, it's hard to work with color-wise and it tends to disappear into the room. Now my style is definitely becoming more streamlined and less fussy/prissy..

So I am considering my options:

1. sandblast it and paint it another color-- black? platinum?

2. leave it as is, move it to the spare room and keep the door closed!

3. give it to my youngest niece who has always loved the bed (but then I fear the other three nieces will jump up and say they love it too).

Here are some pictures.. the first was before it was refinished, the second is a closeup of the finish and the third is an old photo that shows the detail.. but before I had appropriate bedding for it.

I have styled it a few ways over the years.. once with layers of linen duvets similar to this..

but when that became too fussy, I used various combinations of duvets and quilts. Part of the problem is that neither white nor ivory look nice on the bed. Patterns work best but then they overpower the design.

So what would you do?

Comments (40)