SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teehee1984

To seam or not to seam? That is the question.

Teehee1984
9 years ago

Well after four years of saving and lots of angst, my kitchen remodel is in full swing. Everything is going fairly smoothly. Yesterday the granite fabricator came out to template my cabinets and said I could do the L portion of my countertops in one piece -,without a seam- if a cabinet panel next to the fridge had not been put up.

Let me say that I hate seams in front of the sink and cooktop, even though I realize that it's a small seam and probably the best place. I get that. However I think that small seam is really pronounced in front of the cooktop and I've seen a lot of pictures where I think it's very unseemly (or unseamly, arg). No offense to anyone, that's just my personal opinion.

My granite doesn't have super movement, lots of veins or lightning bolts....and the fabricators are not matching up two different pieces....the cooktop would be cut from the same slab. In theory, it might not be that noticeable. To others.

What would you do? Make the contractor rip out the panel or take seam?

My kitchen designer is willing to take it up, fight it out with the contractor, who is probably going to be very reluctant to pull out the panel. kD says it wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Advice anyone?

Comments (14)