SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

4 days after countertop installation.....and it CRACKED!!

christy2828
14 years ago

I am so upset, we just paid $4500 for granite transformations recycled glass countertops. They finished installation Wednesday night. We had friends over this afternoon who quickly stopped by to check them out. We stood in the kitchen chatting and my husband leaned against the countertop and we heard a loud pop! The two inch edge of the countertop is split and a small chunk of glass hit the floor. I am furious. We've looked around here and there, and there are several small fractures throughout the countertop at the edges. I am so disappointed, it is beautiful - but this is unacceptable!! We'll have to call them in the morning, I just don't know what to say!!!

Comments (49)

• graywings123
    14 years ago

Bummer! I guess the only thing you can be happy about is that it happened so quickly.

• sweeby
    14 years ago

Exactly -- At least it happened quickly.
    They might not even have cashed your check!
    Please let us know what happens --

• Related Discussions

Please post pictures of your counter-tops

Q

Comments (151)
    Love love love this topic. Your kitchens are amazing. Looking for pics of stainless; particularly of stainless with white cabinets and beadboard backsplash... Have you ever seen this combo? Any ideas would be awesome. Again truly amazing kitchens!!
    ...See More

Beware of explosive cracks with Dupont Corian counter tops. (No heat!)

Q

Comments (118)
    We have had almost the exact same issue with our corian. The builder wouldn't even come to check it only went by the pictures we sent. Then blamed it all on something "very hot" had to do that! I can tell you now, it did not. There is also a large dip or warp over the dishwasher. When we pulled it out there is absolutely no heat barrier or insulation to protect the corian. The installer also never sealed the sink basin. Which we found out the hard way when our sink overflowed. The installer/builder takes no blame Won't even come to look or tell us what we can do. There is a ten year warranty on the corian, we've been fighting this for over two years now. The ten year warranty will be up in September of this year. What can we do???
    ...See More

Quartzite Counter - Crack or fissure?

Q

Comments (14)
    THanks, Joe -- your comprehensive and helpful comment from earlier just appeared. We will follow all of your diagnostic suggestions tonight when we get home from work and let you know. The fabricator is planning on coming to see it himself on Thursday. I am happy we will be so prepared. I think they may need to replace the stone. Sophie, I am curious why you think it should be repaired. If we had cabinets, appliances or tile installed with a large crack, I would think they would replace it entirely. Why for a counter would they just repair it when we purchased an intact and not cracked stone?
    ...See More

Cracked Granite Countertop

Q

Comments (7)
    I am a fabricator. It's a crack. It happens. If the cosmetic repair is acceptable to you then no worries assuming you improve the support. Structurally you are probably OK with the 2X2 angle. 2x2 or 2X3 tubing would be better. For a test, If you supported the angle on each end and stood on it in the middle without noticeable deflection you are good. for supporting the overhang the angle is good if it passes the test as long as it is securely attached to a rigid support on the ends. If you want to be extra sure you could epoxy the angle to the stone. Usually a fabricator will deal with the support issues at the field measure.
    ...See More
  • christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well the President of the company just left and he says that it is a problem with the installer. The glue wasn't administered properly, and has failed in attaching properly to the existing counter top. They are going to replace the peices, and have said that this has never happened before. Will keep you posted!! Christy

• haley_comet
    14 years ago

Sorry that happened Christy. I do find it hard to believe you are the first person this has happened to. I bet they say that to everyone.

• mjsee
    14 years ago

They are going to fix your countertops...they are doing the right thing. It IS possible that poor installation caused the problem. Give them a chance to make it right.

Last week on Holmes on Homes he re-did a floor (and the whole kitchen...being that this is H on H)that an installer had screwed up. Bad installations happen.

• User
    14 years ago

Yes, bad installation can happen. That was my first thought too. That doesn't mean the installer is a bad guy. It's probably just a fluke that a bubble appearing in the adhesive caused an air pocket and your hubby leaned in the wrong spot. Though like others have said, good thing it happened so soon so it could be taken care of without any cost to you.
    I'm sorry it happened at all though.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, we had them come back out the second week in December. They no-showed us and after we called to see where they were they asked to reschedule for the following afternoon. My husband took off work for that day but could not for the next. They took off the countertop with the larger cracked apron and completely fixed the glue underneath. Then they repaired the crack on the apron. The second countertop they only repaired the smaller crack. They did not remove it, I assume because there is a seam to another section of fine countertop. He said he was able to get in some more glue, but I never really did see how. This was a different installer, the previous one quit. This new guy also criticized the complete installation and smoothed out a lot of corners and made it look much better overall. Except for the cracks. The bigger one was repaired, but you could feel the crack with your finger and looked dirty. You could see the epoxy smudge. They are glass so it was like a perfectly clean sliding glass door with a big smudge in the middle of it. The second crack was also repaired but when I woke up the next morning, the crack was back bigger than it had been before!! So we called to let them know we weren't happy again, and they rescheduled for Jan. 14th. The didn't show again, and called the next morning to see if they could come by that afternoon. My husband again had the day before off. We asked that they replace the aprons and pull of and reglue the second countertop like they had done with the first one. He said he couldn't pull it up because of the seam but would get more glue in with the apron removed. So they replaced the apron and repaired the countertop. It looks worse than ever. I think the countertop is repaired, it will not flex like it was before. But the seam between the apron and the top portion is awful. You can clearly see a seam with a line of glue going in between. They used 1/2" painters tape to hold the apron up when gluing!!! It has a beveled look to it with every other section having perfect 90 degree angles. They didn't leave until 9:30 PM on Friday night. I am so upset, I contracted these countertops on Sept. 29th and here it is January and we are no closer to having a completed kitchen. I've had cabinets refaced. I cannot put in a backsplash. Now I want to pick a different countertop and have this REMOVED. So I need to match the new cabinets to a countertop instead of starting from scratch. I'm so annoyed at this company I plan on calling first thing in the morning and saying give me back my money!!

• marc_ia
    14 years ago

Wow So sorry this is happening. I think you have done all the right things and allowed them to try to fix it. You have been more patient than a lot of people would have been. They always say that - this is a first - or noone else has ever complained - I don't believe it. And, by chance have you checked with the better business bureau to see if there have been complaints about this company. Sounds totally unacceptable and after all this time...I would insist they remove the whole thing and refund my money and go with a different company for countertops.

• annzgw
    14 years ago

If you get a chance, can you post a photo? I'm just curious what recycled glass countertops look like!

Definitely demand total replacement. They've had more than enough time to do a decent repair.......and using painters tape! Geez!
    Check their contract carefully and make sure they're not trying to drag this out so that they have a loophole.
    Tell them nothing else will do short of total replacement or a total refund...now! And don't allow them to come up with other methods of repair!

• pharaoh
    14 years ago

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. The idea of a veneered stone envelope does not sound good to me from the start. Especially in a high use area like a kitchen countertop.

Try to get as much money back as you can.

Then get real granite counter tops. Their prices have fallen dramatically over the past ten years and the stone will outlast the house :)

• andreadeg
    14 years ago

Argh, lost my original post to this thread. Perhaps it will show up!

I'm so sorry to hear about the trouble that you have had with your countertops! You've every right to be frustrated! Hopefully you will get your money back quickly and find something that you like equally as well.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've just took some quick photos. This was taken at night and the light in there is not very good. It will be, but not so right now. We're also putting in under cabinet lighting this week, and Lowe's didn't have enough screws for the cabinet pulls so a few are missing.
    BEFORE:

AFTER:
    {{gwi:376650}}

ONE OF THE GAPS:

EDGE THE WAY IT IS SUPPOSED TO LOOK:

WHAT TWO OF THE EDGES LOOK LIKE:

THE PRODUCT:
    {{gwi:380936}}

• seww
    14 years ago

Wow, you've been dealing with this since Nov 2009??
    I think you need to take them to court!
    Sue

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful product but so sorry that happened. I agree in that it is good to have happened early on, they have not been able to repair it to your expectation, have them remove and refund all your money now. Don't let it get you down...stand your ground and good thing you have pictures & documentation...BBB might need to get involved to support you and help prevent shoddy work for future customers. It is so hard to get good workmanship. :-(

• annzgw
    14 years ago

Ok, I just looked up the product and didn't realize it was a veneer/fit-over type of cover. I agree with Pharaoh that I would have my doubts long term.

For that amount of money you could have granite installed. Shop around and try to find fabricators in your area and check for suppliers that sell the granite from China. DIL bought some last year for the same price Formica would have cost.

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Yeah...I'm doubtful this product will work being laid OVER the formica. The product is pretty thin, and therefore, given the linear area, with no score lines to take the pressure, it seems that this product would be VERY susceptible to cracking easily.

Hoping you've been able to check the reputation of the manufacturer AND the co that sold it to you (are they one in the same?) Just to be safe, make sure you can cover the cost of replacement countertops and not count on getting your money back in a timely manner. I'm afraid this doesn't add up to a favorable outcome in my book. Hoping I'm wrong!

• threedgrad
    14 years ago

Get your money back (court time probably) and start over. Rip out old countertops and get new granite or Hi Macs engineered stone (from Lowes) or Zodiac (from Lowes) or Silestone (Home Depot).

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

UGH...I'm hoping this works out quickly and easily. They want their installation manager to come over tomorrow morning. Fine, but we're pretty resigned to the fact that it has to come out. I think the only way to fix the countertop is to install all new product. We're not waiting that long. We're going to look at countertops this evening. I tried calling the woman that sold us the countertops and she apparently quit. Great. I did read the contract, and from the way I read it we are covered. I'll try and scan it and post if I get a chance later. So dissapointed and time consuming. Thanks for the support :) Christy

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, these are the two paragraphs that make me think we should be okay:

Granite Transformations agrees that the above-described work shall be completed within 90 days of this contract. GT agrees to provide and pay for all materials, tools and equipment required for the timely completion of the work. Unless otherwise specified, all materials shall be new and of good quality. GT shall employ a sufficient number of workers skilled in their trades to suitably perform the work. ETC....

Warranties: Contractor warrants that the home improvement services performed under this agreement shall be free from all defects caused by faulty workmanship of the contractor for a period of one year from the completion of the project. The contractor shall pass on to the owner the manufacturers warranty on materials used by the contractor on the project, but the contractor in no way makes any representations or warranties with respect to such materials nor shall contractor be liable for any defect in such materials. To the extent allowed by applicable law, it is agreed that the foregoing warranties are given expressly and are in lieu of all other warranties expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose and warranties which exceed or differ from said warranties are disclaimed by contractor. Under all circumstances, contractor shall not be liable for incidental or consequential damages. Contractor's total liability shall be limited to the amounts actually paid by owner to contractor.

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I agree with annz that that is a lot of money to pay for a veneer over existing countertops. I wouldn't doubt that you could get real granite for a comparable price.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I hate to say this, but you could definately get the real thing for a comparable price. Get your money back and the veneer removed. So sorry for your troulble:(

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I would call them back and tell them to start processing return/refund of the product. Also tell them that if a manager comes out he should be prepared to document all the damage since there will be no more install repairs done.

The majority of the info you posted regarding the warranty applies only to the contractor/installer.
    I'm not sure who will end up dealing with the manufacturer but ask for the manufacturers warranty when you call.

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I would also try to get the money back and pick a different product. Since it's a thin material I doubt it will hold up long term. My friend had granite crack that was only 1/2 inch thick along a stress point. That's not to say I wouldn't go with granite, I would and did also. It's much more durable. The point I am trying to emphasize is that in areas of seams etc, the glass may crack. I am afraid you are going to have a battle with the company blaming it on the installer and the installer blaming it on the material. Good luck.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We went tonight and picked out new granite countertops and a backsplash. Priced with both below what we paid for the glass. We knew we spent a lot, and completely regret it now, but were happy with the purchase to start with. We have had 3 different installers show up. All three made mistakes. I'm hoping we won't have that much trouble as optimistic as that sounds. The people that installed our refaced cabinets have worked for years with GT. We also talked with them today about the countertops and backsplash. They didn't seem to think we'd have much trouble getting our money back...let's hope they are right!!!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem. I hope everything works out for you. Nothing like the ups and downs of a kitchen reno, is there?

When we were looking at granite last summer, we did check out this type of counter as well as the granite overlays, I couldn't believe that the price was higher than what I could get granite for.

Do share with us what granite you picked out.

Good luck with everything.

• trk65
    14 years ago

When I first read this thread and saw $4500 my thought was "why not get the real thing"? Glad you are going in that direction, and I hope you get your money back.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

let us know if you got your $$$$$ back!

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The installation manager was supposed to be here between 8 and 10 this morning but didn't show until 1:00. When we called and called and called and finally got an answer as to where he was, we were told there was a communication mixup. He saw the tops, shook his head and took pictures. Said he would forward them to the President (who I had to call on his personal cell phone this morning to get an answer as to where the manager was) who would then be giving me a call. I waited all afternoon and heard nothing. Just called 30 minutes ago and the secretary thought I okayed a repair. WHAT!?!? No, I explicitly told her, the manager and the president that I want my money back and these countertops out. She says she'll call the prez and get back to me tonight. Yeah, right. I'll be calling her tomorrow afternoon. Stress headache....again tonight :(

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

HOORAY!!!! The president just called and has completely apologized and will definitely refund my money :) He even threw in the kitchen sink! He told me they would definitely work removal of the glass with installation of the next countertop. Apparently I am the exception - and he does not want me to be unhappy or unsatisfied and I am thrilled!!

• mjsee
    14 years ago

Glad you had a good outcome.

• nhb22
    14 years ago

Does this mean that you are going to try the glass again, or get the real granite?

• neetsiepie
    14 years ago

Yay! A good outcome!

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I am glad it worked out but do you really want that company installing your new top....?

• annzgw
    14 years ago

andrelaplume, I think the company's offer is to remove the glass counter just before the granite installers (other company) show up. That way christy will have a countertop while the granite is being fabricated.

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

I hope so!
    (I think we almost had to call Mike Holmes!)

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!!! (Who is Mike Holmes??)

I chose Baltic Brown Granite countertops and Chestnut glass tiles. The tiles look like the Khaki color (at least on my computer).

55 square feet of countertop space and 35 sq. feet of backspash adds up like this:

Remove existing mica tops.
    Baltic Brown Granite tops with 1.5" thick beveled edge and undermount sink cutout $3093.00
    C-Tech single bowl stainless sink $179.14
    BDR 3x6 Glass Tile in "Chestnut" $712.32
    Installation of glass tile $525.00

We have not picked an edge yet, I hadn't even considered it until this evening. I think I just want a standard edge, any thoughts? I'm new to remodeling please point out if there is something I am missing or not thinking of :) Thanks!! Christy

Here is a link that might be useful: Khaki glass tiles

• annzgw
    14 years ago

My edges are the 1/4 round and I tend to prefer any of the rounded edges. Depending on the granite, some of the sharp-edge profiles can be prone to chipping so talk to your fabricator about your choice.
    I definitely would choose something besides a square edge to give your kitchen more pizazz!

Only other tip I can offer is to make sure you have the sink installed with extra framing around the edges so that it's well supported. Someone that installed DIL's SS sink used just adhesive and 1 1/2 yrs later it was pulling away from the granite.
    Ideally, the surface of your cabinets should have a layer of plywood and the granite will sit on top of it. Besides giving a good base for the granite, the plywood is also used to attach brackets or wood strips to help hold your sink in place. Brackets can also be installed directly on the granite but it should be done by someone who knows how.
    That's another question to ask your fabricator....whether they'll install the sink and what they recommend.

BTW, love your selections! The glass tile will be lovely!
    Check out the kitchen blog link to see what the different edges look like in finished kitchens.

Here is a link that might be useful: blog

• scanmike
    14 years ago

Baltic Brown granite is very pretty. I think you made a great choice. I am so happy you had a good outcome. That's so good to hear!

• andrelaplume2
    14 years ago

Watch for the show: Holmes on Homes. He pretty much takes pitty on folks who have been taken advantage of by contractors and generally comes in and guts everything (not just the original problem) and, as he says, 'does it right' He points out where things were incorrectly done and how do them better along the way. Its a great show. He pretty much films in Canada where he is from but has had a few episodes where he comes down to the states.

• tarhlfan
    14 years ago

YaY! Glad everything is going to work out. So sorry for the bad experience.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

Oh, please post a pic when it is done. A happy ending...congrats!

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

Sending good vibes your way for a perfect product & install. :-)

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, we've got the granite installed and we get the backsplash done next week. Here are some pics:

But one question, is the apron on the granite supposed to have this seam???

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Christy2828, I LOVE the new Baltic Brown Granite Counter tops and maybe I will consider that for my kitchen if I can figure out a way to darken the cabinets a tiny bit more. I am sorry that you have to go through so much trouble but the end result is even nicer. Please keep us updated.

By the way, what wood and stain is your cabinets now that look so great with the counters? What type of hardware finish are those handles that are perfect for your kitchen?

• mildredpots
    14 years ago

Your new counters are really nice. Regarding your question about the apron seam, I don't have granite, but have never noticed a visible seam in other people's homes. Your seam looks very visible, and looks like you would be able to feel it if you ran your fnger over it? Other granite people, is this common? it doesn't look quite right...

• scanmike
    14 years ago

I don't have a seam. It looks like they pieced together two thin slabs if I am looking at it the right way.

• Valerie Noronha
    14 years ago

Your new granite looks great. Regarding the edge treatment, yes, that is what is done when you go with a 2 cm. granite. The edge is built up and laminated to look thicker. All of my granite counters are done that way; however, my seams are not very visable. Yours looks like it was not buffed or polished smooth. I'd ask the installer about it as perhaps they need to come back and polish it smooth. You may want to post a question over on the kitchen forum about your edges as there are some granite experts there who can say better what, if anything, is wrong and what, if anything, should be done.

• christy2828
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I didn't go with 2 cm granite, though. I contracted with 1.5" granite. Thanks, I will pop over to the kitchen forum.

Actually it isn't wood or stain, it is Autumn Walnut thermofoil. They replaced the old doors and covered the existed edges with thermofoil. Also added the light rail and crown molding. As for the handles I got them on Ebay for less than a dollar a handle!!!

• annzgw
    14 years ago

I wouldn't call that a beveled edge but a round-over edge.

You shouldn't be able to see the seams that easily. It almost looks like the lower edge is beyond the top portion.
    One has to look closely to find the seams on my granite and when viewed on an angle the polish makes the edge look like one continuous surface.

Don't pay them until you're happy with it.
    Sorry to hear/see this. It seems to never end, huh? :(