SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lalithar

Can this kitchen be saved?

lalithar
13 years ago

I need some major kitchen layout advice for our smallish galley kitchen. We are trying to see what we do with the kitchen in a home we just purchased. This is our forever house and in the kitchen, there are things that we like and find charming, as well as things that we really need to fix or learn to live with. Our main goal is to end with something that is really functional. Our GC is recommending just gutting and redoing. We would like to see if we can fix some, maybe reuse some cabinets etc. Even if we were to start afresh, my DH and I are worried that we would end up with something that wouldn't fit with the aesthetics of the house (Adobe Ranch with a lot of exposed brick and redwood ceilings etc.)

What we like:

1. Adobe brick architecture (Actually post/ beam with exposed adobe brick walls).

2. Mexican tiles - I am not sure what this kitchen style would be.. Is it Mexican?

3. Copper hood and backsplash (not behind the cooktop)

4. Lovely view from the window over the sink

5. Access to courtyard from Kitchen (Both Dutch Door and French Doors)

6. Old fashioned knotty pine cabinetry with exposed iron hardware (flanges and handles)

What we need to fix or learn to live with:

1. The kitchen layout is very awkward with a old BBQ that juts in at an angle

2. The cooktop also juts in (livingroom fireplace behind the stove area). Very narrow aisle here

3. Oven in a brick wall (also juts in)

4. Very small Fridge

5. Very little storage

6. It is kind of dark (the ceiling is low with wide redwood planks and the walls are also kind of dark because of brick)

I would really like to have the following:

1. Prep sink close to cooking area with countinuous counters

2. Cooking area with induction+Gas+Wok (Can I get all of this in 36"?). I would really like this set up as Mise en place with key utensils, ingrediants, spoonrests, splatter screens etc. in narrow shelves around the cooking area.

3. Baking area with marble (24" will suffice)

4. Small Wall oven (24"). 2 would be nice but 1 will suffice.

5. Lower counters for cooking area, prep area, baking area. I am vertically challenged :) 32" would be ideal.

6. Microwave/ Coffee Zone.

7. Large Fridge (maybe additional fridge/ freezer in drawers?)

Kitchen (See the BBQ and cooking/ Oven walls that juts in)

{{gwi:1930419}}From Kitchen

Kitchen Layout

{{gwi:1930420}}From Kitchen
bedwebsite

Courtyard From Kitchen (See Dutch Door, small window, French Doors)

{{gwi:1930421}}From Kitchen

Comments (28)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville