SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chaparral_gw

breakfast bar--counter (36') or bar (42') height?

chaparral
12 years ago

(YABBP) -- yet another breakfast bar post, in the midst of a contemporary style remodel / rebuild...

Our contractor wants to frame in a short wall for the rough plumbing that will support our breakfast bar. He wants to know how high to build it. All along I (and our architect) had been thinking it would be 6" higher than the counters. It will be 8' long, with a prep sink at one end. The cleanup sink is on the opposite side of the kitchen. FWIW we are 3 years away from being empty nesters and would like to do more entertaining in the future. We plan on eating here for quick(er) meals.

We like the idea of having guests hanging at the breakfast bar while we prep. I also liked the look of the 2 elevated surfaces, as a transition to our family room. I had been planning on about a 14" overhang, and total depth of the bar surface of about 19"

However, after scouring through all the posts on GW, I'm rethinking this.

If we go with counter height, then we'll creates a bigger potential work surface for cooking, and it actually is a pretty clean look. Comfort-wise, I haven't seen many people extoll the virtues of sitting at EITHER counter or bar height.

I hate holding up our contractor, but I think we need to think this through a bit more.

Are you comfortable dining at your counter or bar height breakfast bar?

What about functionality?

Am I missing anything obvious?

Here are a few simple renderings I've done to show how it might look with the 2 options.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (23)