SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
julia42

Breakfast bar or counter height (behind sink)?

julia42
10 years ago

We're doing a complete renovation of our kitchen, and I'm trying to decide what to do with the peninsula area that includes our kitchen sink. It's one of the few things about our current kitchen that I find awkward, but we haven't been able to come up with a solution.

The pony wall and cabinets come out at an angle, which I don't really like. However, it creates one side of an octagonal dinette space, so I think the angle has to stay. If we straightened it our, the dining area would really be too tight, especially since it opens up to the laundry room and back door (high traffic area).

So I'm thinking about taking the current bar height pony wall down to counter height instead. I think this would open up the space and make that angled cabinet feel less in-the-way as you pass by, and it would also keep my husband from piling his paperwork and books there (since he wouldn't want them to get wet from the sink) :). I'd also be able to pass dishes from the kitchen to the dining room more easily.

The drawbacks would be 1) no wall to hide dirty dishes around the sink that haven't been washed yet. 2) We'll have a pull-down faucet with a sprayer and we have 3 little boys... Might be tempting to spray each other at the table... 3) We would no longer have that space to set things down as we walk in the door (but, like I said, that has its advantages, too).

Am I missing anything? Any suggestions? What would you do?

Comments (14)