SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
july3feb2_gw

Breakfast bar - yes or no...please help me sleep

july3feb2
14 years ago

Hi all...this is my first post but I've been spending many late nights here and finally have the courage to ask advice (or perhaps I'm just at my wits end with all these decisions).

DH and I are building a new home. Our kitchen U-shaped with a penninsula housing the sink. The eatin area is on the other side and is 12.8Wx10'L with a terrace double door opening in in the middle of the back wall (we do not want a slider and code requires doors open in).

We are considering adding a breakfast bar/counter overhang to provide added counter workspace and socializing options but with little ones we are still in need of a kitchen table (ideally for 4-6ppl).

Our future thoughts are to make the eat-in area more of a cafe/lounge area with perhaps a built-in banquette or just some club chairs and coffee table looking out to backyard.

So long story to ask a simple ? -- are we crazy to add 11-13" (somewhere in that range) to the penninsula?

Can you think of options for a kitchen table/family seating that would make an overhang possible?

TIA

Tiffany

FWIW we lived in an empty house with just a tv and large pillows (not even window coverings) for a year because I have such difficulties with major decisions.

I'm going to try to attach a layout of the kitchen...Hope this works

Here is a link that might be useful: basic layout

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio