SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chrisinclt

Table bases for breakfast nook and bar-table tops?

Chris
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

My new home has an eat-in kitchen that is open to the living room and there is a 7' peninsula counter that extends at an obtuse angle into the breakfast nook area next to the bay window. While this odd angle limits the amount of space in the breakfast nook, it also makes the space at the counter too crowded for barstools. To maximize the seating space, I hired a carpenter to build some banquet benches that fit against the bay window, and I will be getting custom cushions made for the seats.

With this type of fixed seating, I need a 5' by 3' "racetrack" oval table with a narrow (<2') base to allow leg-room for people seated at the bench to slide in and out, which I am having custom built in gray quartz. While this arrangement will still limit the space for barstools at the counter, with 3 chairs the table will seat 7 to 8 people comfortably. In the adjacent living room I'm having a 5-6' long, narrow live-edge bar table built to go behind my sofa with 3 barstools facing the TV. I'm planning to get METAL bases/legs made for both tables, and will probably use black hairpin legs for the live edge bar (but not necessarily).

Now for the dilemmas I need help with...

With a minimal MCM style in mind, what color and shape of metal base should I get for the kitchen table that will go with my chairs and not clash with the bar table legs. I think black will probably look best with the gray stone top, but then should I still go with black metal hairpin on the bar table, or a different color/style?

Once that's decided I'll need to consider what barstools and bench cushions to get, but first things first! Any ideas for the tables will be greatly appreciated!! (Please excuse the cardboard table template!)

Example of live-edge bar table (not stools) with hairpin legs for behind sofa:

Example of metal base/legs for gray oval quartz top in breakfast nook:

Comments (56)