SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bristlingacres_gw

Help! Where to get started? Lots of pics

bristlingacres
16 years ago

Hi!

I've shown photos of my mess before. Here are some updated photos of my giant room. My biggest problem is not knowing where to start and what to do (other than the trimwork of course!).

I'm trying to figure out a plan of attack to slowly transform this giant mess of a room into more pleasant and separate spaces. How the heck do I figure out where to start? What should be the first thing to change? Finances are a big concern so it'd be nice to keep the sofa a while longer but the chairs can go in the basement. I like the wall colors (SW Latte and SW Svelte Sage). Hopefully we'll replace the table and chairs within the next six months with something that is more Mission style.

Here are some thoughts- and they're just a jumble right now (sorry). I'm thinking of doing a wall (not the full width, just partial) to separate the dining and living room spaces. This would also act to separate the kid play area (and future homework station). Dh is thinking of doing something with columns but I think the simplest way is the most likely to get actually done. We'd like to alter the kitchen island to make it one level (no more bruised elbows and more space for rolling out dough) with stools. We'd like to change out the countertops in the kitchen to something a little more neutral (some of you have given me great suggestions). I'd love to change out the rug (it is currently 8ft by 11ft- not sure if it too big?). I'd also like to tile behind the woodstove but that has some issues I need to look in to before doing. I'd love to do something with the windows but I'm not exactly sure what. I had thought of doing wood shades with curtains but not sure what. The furniture needs to go too but I'm at a loss as to what I should replace it with. Oh, and the lamps (especially the dining) needs to be changed. One more thing- someone mentioned changing out the fabric on the piano bench. I'm still looking for the right fabric. I'd also like to paint my skis-coat hangers but I'm not sure what color(s) to paint them.

What do you think of my wishes? And if my ideas are any good where do I start? I guess I'm wondering what I can do by myself (without dh's help) that are simple changes that make the room look dramatically different.

I would say that my tastes are Mission/Arts & Crafts style mixed with traditional and country with a little bit of whimsy (probably not helpful- LOL; more Pottery Barn). I would say I'm not as fond of contemporary even though some of the items in my rooms could be considered that.

Here's what I have:

Here's the rug I just bought for my front door. I really like the colors in it- I like sage greens with reds, tan and smoky blue.

The other day I almost bought some throw pillows at Target- some of them were deep red and others were striped with sage green, red and tan for my LR.

WHEW!

I'd love to get your input on table and chairs we're considering too.

I am open to moving the furniture pieces around. The set up now makes the most sense to me but perhaps you have wonderful ideas!

Thank you for helping me and thanks for listening to me whine.

Astrid

Comments (33)