SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

Help pick temporary (10yrs?) backsplash -lots of pics!

2ajsmama
15 years ago

Everyone was so helpful picking tile (Horus Art Fume Noce) for my b/s, but now I have decided I really can't put in a tile b/s until we replace the counters - which isn't happening anytime soon as the perimeter counters are 22 mos old and the island counters (bilevel) I did to match are only 9-10 months old. The reason why we have to replace the counters (eventually) is that they are too shallow - I have 1/4" gap at back of sink, 1/8" gap in other places I thought the tile could cover.

But in measuring the overhangs I realized that even with the 1/4" gap behind the sink, I only have 3/4" overhang in front, which is why I keep dripping water down the face! The overhang on that 11ft long leg of the "L" ranges from 7/8" near the range to 3/4" over the whole 36" sink base to almost an inch (15/16") to left of DW, where part of corner cabinet door is. The overhang on the short (6ft) leg of the L is 1 1/8" with only about 1/8" gap at the back. I figure since DH probably won't go for replacing 17ft of countertop with the exact same thing b/c of builder's mistake (and it's out of "warranty" - only had 1 yr for workmanship), I have to live with it until the laminate starts getting really scratched and icky, but try not to destroy the sink base. I do have 1 spare door (trash pullout is same size, had bubbles in the finish but I never replaced it after they got me a new one). I could refinish the false drawer and the door(s) if I do get lots of water damage. Although the cabinet boxes are particleboard, the drawers have solid sides, fronts and backs with dovetails and Blum Tandem Plus glides so we think they should last.

Sorry to be so long, but I had oak shoemould I bought to cover gap b/t counter and wall. Since I will be living with this longer than a year or 2, I was wondering what I could do that would be decorative that wouldn't damage the drywall when we finally replaced the countertop and did tile b/s. Either something thick enough to cover 1/4" gap or that I could use with the oak I bought. I was looking at beadboard and tin ceiling wallpaper at HD last night - would something like that work (just under cabinets or do these 2.5 walls all the way to ceiling? If so, it would be easier to do b4 crown went up.)? Or would the wallpaper (thick and cushy?) tear the paper off the drywall when we removed it? Thanks!

Everybody's going to get tired of seeing these pics (and I have to take ones w/o all the clutter!) but here they are again for easy reference:

We're putting up crown (that won't have to be removed to do new counters so at least we can move ahead with that!)

{{gwi:1448178}}

{{gwi:1702810}}

And here is what we're doing with the island where sides of deeper/taller cabinets were showing - no b/s, just oak.

With a thin strip of oak under the plugmold - shoe was too high and would interfere with appliance plugs if we put it over bottom of plugmold.

Comments (28)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think that I'd be more worried about tin tile damaging the drywall than wallpaper? (once they are removed, that is). I think that the oak moulding, if sealed on all sides, and then with a bit of silicone to stop water creeping under it, should do the trick? The nice thing about not having tile is being able to affix things to the backsplash easily - spice racks, little shelves, utensil organizers etc.

• Fori
    15 years ago

I really like this kitchen and it's not my style at all! You guys are good with trim. No need for tile when you have trim skillz. Real beadboard would be great in there--I'd go with a painted finish and take it up to the base of the cabinets. It would wrap around the base of the window so you'd need some trim on the top of it there (and I know you wanted to dress up the window some!). And you could replace the counter leaving the beadboard in place because you have that "convenient" gap. And that's if you even need to replace it...

I'm not sure about the beadboard wallpaper though.

I do think the moulding alone should be fine. Then some good paint and some backsplash accessories like Chloe'sMom suggested would be nice. (I love hanging stuff, but then I've never had such a spacious kitchen with storage!) I might be tempted to get 1x4" moulding for a short backsplash, rout the top bit, varnish the heck out of it, and call it permanent. It's such a nice space it doesn't even seem like it needs tile. Sure, it needs some touches and it obviously isn't finished, but it doesn't have to have tile.

What was I thinking...o yeah. Trim. You can use a sheet of luan or something thin and attach a bunch of tin tiles, frame it with oak, and hang it behind the stove for a better surface for cleaning. I guess you could do it with tile on a really stiff board too.

As far as that splashy sink goes...would it be horrible to put a towel bar across the false front and hang a pair of attractive towels there to catch water? I'm short and like to get as close as possible so I think I'd not like it, but it might be OK.

• Related Discussions

help picking backsplash 'accent' -crimson cabinet, white granite

Q

Comments (7)
    Hmm. I really like the glass on the right with the granite and cabinets. It's the marble that needs to go. I agree with RMS that if you keep the marble, stick with the one shape, and the shape that goes with the accent. I don't suppose you could get that accent tile in just the light shade and use that as the field tile with the accent running through the middle could you? I just don't think the marble agrees with the granite I guess, but definitely not in two shapes. You need it to be more neutral.
    ...See More

Need help picking a grout color for my backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    From this angle 3&4. Can you move them to the left?
    ...See More

Help me pick backsplash tile for MCM home

Q

Comments (24)
    My previous home has miles of pine v-match wainscot and eave walls, with wood floors in oak and pine. Floors and wainscot were finished in a clear poly, and we easily had every shade seen in your kitchen (from these photos) from the darker ruddy brown to the paler cabinet colors. With the natural lighting and smaller, low ceiling rooms, we found that saturated colors worked best with all the wood tones. The green below is SW Sassy Green. All this to say I think a saturated mid-tone green or orange would look good in that space. A few years ago, a kitchen reveal was posted on here of a kitchen that was done to reflect the MCM roots of the house, and they used a mosaic tile in bright shades small square tiles, and it looked perfect in the kitchen. I don't know wether it would work with that granite, though. Alas, I cannot find that kitchen again. Good luck! I hope it was not too hard to leave your fab previous kitchen!
    ...See More

I Need help picking backsplash!!!

Q

Comments (1)
    Why not use matching marble tiles for the backsplash? Classic white kitchen.
    ...See More
  • 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wasn't talking about "real" (or faux) pressed tin, I saw "tin" wallpaper last night. Not sure if it (or the beadboard) would tear the paper off the drywall though. Another thing I was thinking (DH will love me!) was to pull the existing countertops forward (will have to take off the side panels and over-fridge cabinet and cut off the excess on that end of the L) so I have an inch overhang at the sink, slightly more elsewhere, and 1/2" gap at the sink back that we can cover with molding, or I can even live with the counters we have and do the tile if I throw 1/4" Hardibacker on top of the drywall (and feather the upper edge like crazy on the sides of the window?

What about faux-painting my "Horus Art" tile? Still have to close up that gap somehow - nail up 1/4" plywood or drywall (don't know if it comes that thin) and paint on that? Or paint existing wall and what do I use to close up the gap - wood stained or painted shoe?

fori - thanks, 2 yearws ago I chose arched golden oak to match my "dated" china cabinet, we're adding crown to make it even more similar. I don't like towels hanging in front of doors/drawers b/c they get caught when we close them, but in this case it might work for the best since ds (and the other 2 over-4-ft-tall people in this house, incl. me!) is always washing his hands (no powder room sink yet) in the kitchen and then dripping across to the range for the towel! But I don't plan on adding any pulls/knobs so don't know how that will look.

One more thing along chloes_mom's idea is to use the oak shoe and hang things. Either small framed prints/recipes, or I have my godmothers blue "Shakespeare's Country" plates (that I don't care for but I am trying to get more blue in to match teakettle and grandma's sponge-painted canisters). Will take pics (an stands, no hangers right now). Gotta get dd from preschool. Keep the ideas coming!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are pics with the plates. I like the way it looks, I even have enough of the small plates to go up the sides of the window and hang more large ones over the window. They even match my blue painter's tape LOL!

You can see my grandma's sponged canisters stuck in the corner behind all the junk. And that *is* a cobalt blue teakettle, not a black one, on the stove.

{{gwi:1716813}}

{{gwi:1654876}}

{{gwi:1716815}}

• Fori
    15 years ago

Yeah, you can do tile on a thick backer board and pull out the counter for the proper overhang. (It's easy to tell someone to just move a counter:)!) Instead of feathering out the step by the window, you'd use a tile chair rail (or an oak one) and it'd look like you planned it all along.

But then you can't call it "temporary". You'd have to call it "done".

It's been a while since I tile shopped, but would a coved piece cover the gap?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My mom says just finish what I need to finish (I'm assuming she means getting a railing on the stairs, steps or deck out the slider, casings up around windows downstairs - upstairs is done except 1 - and baseboards downstairs). She says my kitchen is fine the way it is, just replace counters when kids are older. I do have to cover that gap though. That's why I'm thinking tile later.

I just started the crown b/c my cousin the carpenter was laid off and needed work, he did baseboards and windows upstairs, we were waiting to finish them downstairs til after the weather got warmer and I could finish 16ft long baseboards in my garage, along with the (after joining) 7x7 window/slider casings and 4x7 door casings. So I figured oak crown (longest length is 8ft) was something we could work on in March. But now he's got a temp job with a landscaper and who knows when I'm going to get this oak off my DR carpet?

i guess I'm going to have to see when he can come and install my 2 extra drawers in the island (all parts here) and fix the cabinet right of the stove (that builder broke the back of screwing it into the wall) and ask him how hard it would be to "adjust" the countertop overhang. Then live with the oak stacked in my DR until he can get around to it (after joining the casings and putting them up for me. As soon as weather is consistently above freezing I'm setting up the sawhorses in the garage and finishing the baseboards!

Still haven't found anyone who wants to do my railing - may have to put a "temporary" one up.

• Fori
    15 years ago

Well...okay. Mom is probably right. :)

Get a railing. That's a good one. Use the shoe moulding for the gap, touch up your paint, and start thinking about the deck!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Getting back to your hood, ajsmama, is that the hoffco English country trim on the front or something Merillat did? The drawing on the hoffco site shows a longer carved area. I like yours better.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

What did you think of the blue plates?

We'll get a railing up soon - I've actually asked 2 carpenters to bid on it, neither one got back to me, and my cousin didn't want to do it b/c the finished floor is in and I wanted the newel post(s) on the bottom step, he didn't think he was up to that. So I've got to start looking for a 4th (and 5th and???) person to give me an estimate - or just put a railing on the wall for now and when I finally find someone to continue it down the bottom 4 steps (supposed to wrap around the corner) we can replace it/join it. Plus we're still trying to figure out how to finish off the stringers and transition them to the baseboards upstairs.

I just really wanted to finish the kitchen and FR since that's where we spend the most time. Now it's just a question of which comes first, baseboard or crown. I can stain everything pretty much all at once now that it's getting warmer, just need cousin and compressor to get it up! I have no idea who/when we can do the deck - we don't own a circular saw, I'm afraid of saws, and DH is not handy.

writersblock - since the builder ordered from Merillat, I have to say Merillat but I thought Merillat bought all those pieces from Hoffco. Maybe the Hoffco one is a 36" and mine is a 30"? I'd ask Hoffco how many ovals are on the front of the hood you want to order.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Thanks, ajsmama.

>Maybe the Hoffco one is a 36"

No, it wouldn't be, because the actual hood is always the same size: they offer fluted side pieces to fill the extra space for a 36" opening. I'll ask them.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I like the blue plates! Did you say that you would hang them on the wall (off the counter)?

My parents found some decorative handpainted tiles that they really liked and set the tiles into a piece of wood (routered out the wood to accomodate the tile). they then hung the display (a series of these tiles). Always a fun decorative option.

Doesn't help your gap though. I'd still go with a nice piece of oak before you lose things down the back of the cabinet (I'm speaking from experience).

Love the kettle!

Oh, I just had another thought. What about making an oak backsplash? piece of oak or oak veneer, then a cap moulding? Could dress things up a bit?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot to say, I think the plates look great with your cabinets.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes, I will hang them on the wall - just don't have any plate hangers so grabbed the stands out of my china cabinet for pics, plates were in the attic.

I could always change them out for tiles, trivets, small framed artwork, whatever I felt like in the future.

Were you thinking taller (3-4") oak with an ogee edge (like baseboard)? I was thinking that at first but wasn't sure I liked that look or if I wanted to go really low. The island sides we ended up just doing flat tops tucked under countertop overhangs, the piece under plugmold had to be very thin, so I was thinking thin (though rounded, not flat) for the walls to kinda match? We were also thinking ogee overlapping tops of cabinets as a valance under the crown, but ended up (I think) going flat and flush b/c the overlap was causing more problems with the corner door. But my pine baseboard in FR (and a few pieces b/t doors in kitchen) has an ogee edge.

Should I try to pull the countertop out before we fill the gap? Or leave the front flush with the sink base and hope I don't totally destroy the cabinet b4 we replace the counter?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started thinking last night - when we designed the house, I didn't have a backsplash in mind - just knew I hated those 4" set-on laminate strips (that I ended up with in bathroom anyway!). I really liked the look of no b/s at all - but started looking at tile b/c of the gap. So, I'm wondering if instead of trying to adjust this counter, and/or use something to fill the gap, and replace it later, should I just look into replacing it now? I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but rather than spending the next 8-10 years hating what I have and worrying about water going down the front of the sink and the DW looking like it was installed crooked b/c the counter over it is noticeably overhanging more on one side than the other, should I just get what I wanted in the first place? I had been looking at Silestone for the old house til DH got a new job and we were moving, picked this laminate just to have something to get a CO right away, figured we'd do quartz or granite later. Then I did the island in laminate since I thought it would look strange to have granite on island and laminate on perimeter and we couldn't afford to redo a 1-yr old kitchen. Took the $500 allowance for the screw through the laminate and used it for the island. But after living with the laminate for another 9 months, I really like the way markers clean off, I don't have to worry about coffee drips sitting all day if I don't see them right away (this pattern hides everything - too well!). Instead of just replacing it in 8-10 years when kids are teenagers, maybe I should just do it now and live with it for 15-20 years? Even if it costs $750 for 6x11 L, I really can consider the $500 the builder gave me toward that so it's worth $250 to just have it done *right*.

Think I should call the guy who did my island and get an estimate? Or do you think I'll be tired of this laminate in a decade (give or take) and want something else?

I just hate it when we go to finish something and have to *fix* it b/c we discover yet one more thing that wasn't done correctly in the first place! DH wants to know if we should just knock the house down and start over!? I won't go that far, but there are times when I want to gut certain rooms and re-frame them! Later this year I want to move a pocket door, and there is definitely some rewiring to be done!

• Fori
    15 years ago

Yeah, get an estimate. Then you'll be better equipped to make a decision. Your time is worth money too.

I like the plates but don't base your design off them unless you love them. Using them as removable elements is a good idea though. I like being able to switch things out easily. (I'm not organized enough to DO it, but I love the concept!)

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

Laminate is popular for a reason! It is almost worry free, comes in a huge variety of colours, and is a cost effective countertop! If you like your laminate on the island, I say go for it! Who knows, it could last you more than 10 years.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

KD at Home Depot said laminate should last 20 years. The pattern hides a lot - I don't think this stuff will ever get as stained as the solid almond color we had (only 6 years old when we bought) in our last house. And I leave coffee drips sitting all the time b/c I can't see them! By the time we left, that was 20 years old and showing scratches as well as stains.

Speaking of coffee - DH did dishes incl coffeepot while I was out today, dumped still-wet (dripping!) grounds into trash under sink - we went out to dinner, bought ds new jeans and sneakers at Target, I come home and there is a puddle of coffee on the bottom of the sink cabinet! He reused plastic bag from recycle container (ripped) and we had a crack in the old trash can we brought from the old house. I'll see in the AM if the laminate (paper) is peeling off the bottom of the cabinet. Has not been a good day, with huge fight about all the work going into the house this AM!

I stopped at Goodwill this AM after HD and bought a hand-painted (calligraphy and flowers) plaque that says "If Mama Ain't Happy, Ain't Nobody Happy!" Expresses this house's attitude today perfectly!

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

With luck, all will be well with your cabinets. I usually put shelf liner under the sink, but have just realized that Ive failed to do so in this house - so you've reminded me.

No staining/liquid injury to my cabinets yet, but the underside of one bank of uppers in now well aerated as I moved the undercounter lighting boxes 3 times so far. I've made a complete mess, many holes, and on one cabinet, used screws that were too long.

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeah! Cousin came today and put in my 2 new drawers, and adjusted (reinstalled) the top middle drawer in the island vanity so it doesn't have a gap under it (but just barely "pimpled" the front where he tightened the screw too much and it *almost* came through the front! I didn't say anything b/c in taking the front off, I wasn't watching - talking to him- and let the front drop onto the 3 screws I'd already taken out that I'd stupidly laid in front of the drawer on the counter!). Next - drawer liners - all the Merillat drawers are getting worn already, though I expect the solid maple custom bottoms to wear better than laminated (paper) plywood.

Sink base looks OK, but I'm buying a new trash can and thinking of setting it inside a dish pan, or at least putting vinyl tile or remnant or something under it - old dish drain board won't work since it's sloped, but maybe upside down? Have smaller can from laundry room there now.

I will call laminate guy, but I think we'll end up living with this for 8-10 years since it looks like HD price for this laminate was $29/sf installed - so about $1000. Not worth it - too much else to do.

Cousin said it would be months b4 he could do my crown since he's so busy now with landscaper and a big carpentry project someone finally made up her mind on. But maybe he can come back to fix my broken cabinet and install the oak shoe then if I finish it this week. I hate to have the crown sitting in DR all summer, but if he can just cut it roughly to length and do the mitred returns on a couple of pieces I can finish it and have it ready to go any time he's ready. He says (and I agree) finish the baseboards and casing first so when someone walks in my house it looks finished - no one will say anything about not having crown on tops of cabinets. I was only going to do crown 1st b/c I figured I could stain it in unfinished MBA it was so narrow and longest piece is 8ft, but that has changed since he got too busy to do it this week - we had originally scheduled kitchen work for early April.

So I'm going to be spending all summer finishing baseboards and casings (not too many left), moving onto doors and window sashes (jambs and sills are all done).

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ladies - here is pic of my If Mama Ain't Happy plaque (will have to hang - it's just sitting on counter) plus a wreath I had (don't think it's a good place for it, I don't like it but my aunt gave it to me and I don't want to put another wooden framed piece over range), and another wooden framed picture that looks like the old farmhouse I got from my godmother's estate. I think she left all the pictures to her sister, or maybe my cousin just threw everything in the box going to my house for Aunt Doris, whether it was for her or just unclaimed, but maybe she'll let me keep it?

{{gwi:1675394}}

{{gwi:1716817}}

{{gwi:1716819}}

I was thinking of memo board there, but I think it's too busy. Wall just looks blank with everything tucked in corner.

Not sure about the blue plates now - my mom said she offered them to DB and SIL when I said I wouldn't use them. That was the same day I posted pics! I was upset, they were my godmother's and mom said to save them for DD when I first told her I wouldn't use them, when she offered them to me. Should I keep them for DD even if I don't hang them in kitchen (Mom said I could keep them even if I was only going to decorate with them). DB and SIL are just looking for "country" plates - I think they have a set (haven't been eating off paper for 10 years). This set doesn't even have any serving pieces - just place settings. What do you think?

Thanks

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

I liked the blue plates. Very cute sign! But I'm not in love with the wreath - not *weighty* enough, I think, and not easy to clean. It is hard finding something that is nice to look at when cooking (I had an awful time figuring out my behind the stove accent - tried a mirror and had an unflattering view of my headless torso, cooking).

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I found a dark, almost black, bronze ceramic platter with scalloped edges tonight on clearance at Target, I was going to try that over range. But the cashier put my colander on top of it and scratched it (last one with no scratches) so I told her I didn't want it.

So you think maybe hang the plates, put the saying and maybe the drawing of the farm somewhere else? I want something bigger than a plate over the range, told mom I could check eBay for the same pattern platter.

I saw some pewter-looking trivets in BB&bB but they were on the small side. I really don't like the wreath - but it was te right color.

I had originally planned on hanging the memo board b/t the basement and DR doors. That's probably the best place for it if I keep it.

• chloe_s_mom
    15 years ago

what about the wreath on your hood fan? I think that drawing attention up, to the lovely details of the hood fan, would be a goal?

I'm back to some of your earlier ideas of a paintable or vinyl wallpaper as a backsplash....

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still struggling with this - I have the 2 small pictures one on each side of range up with thumbtacks, and the wreath that I don't like.

I'm putting up the oak shoe (all stained, hope to cut to fit today, touch up ends near stove, poly and get them up soon.

Should I faux paint tile like the Horus Art since it's not worth it to install tile now, order striped roman to match FR (seen to the right in the first pic)?

Or go with the blue plates and this valance? How do you hang this valance? Hooks? Rod?

Need help ASAP, JCP has these in outlet and may not last long. My DR and LR curtains are already "not available"

Here is a link that might be useful: JCP toile valance

• chloe_s_mom
    14 years ago

that's quite pretty - as for installation.....maybe staple gun? ha ha! Okay, it must go on a rod somehow?

• remodelfla
    14 years ago

Well... I definitely am not feelin' the wreath. Too airy and too flamable for above a stove. So... you do or don't want the plates? Guess I didn't read closely enough. What about just keeping an eye out at places like TJ Maxx/Homegoods, Ross, Target, etc for something that has the right scale and colors for above the stove and hang it when you find it. OR... how about getting a cheap glass frame and stretching a piece of coordinating fabric behind it to go with whatever curtains you choose? As far as hanging the pretty valance, if it doens't have a rod pocket (which I can't imagine it wouldn't) how about heavy duty velcro? We teacher are always improvising with whatever we have on hand!

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't like the wreath either. I was asking if the blue toile was good, if you like it (even though I have green and brown in the rest of the house) then I will probably hang a large plate and 2 small ones (?) over the stove, maybe some near the window (have to see once I get the valance up) and maybe one b/t the sink and MW.

I also have to ask DH if I can spend $50 (need 2 46" valances for this 35" window? - space b/t cabinets is 50") to decorate the kitchen window. Hopefully I can hang the valance low enough (or with a deep enough scoop) so I won't need a shade to block the AM sun from the upper part of the window.

It's a tab-back valance, will have to see which way the tabs run - if they're loops to hang from each "pouf" or if you hang on a rod. JCP website doesn't show.

I like my saying (with some blue flowers) and the sketch of the farm, but just don't want another framed piece over the range. Do you think I could leave them if i put plate(s) there?

• 2ajsmama
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't like the wreath either. I was asking if the blue toile was good, if you like it (even though I have green and brown in the rest of the house) then I will probably hang a large plate and 2 small ones (?) over the stove, maybe some near the window (have to see once I get the valance up) and maybe one b/t the sink and MW.

I also have to ask DH if I can spend $50 (need 2 46" valances for this 35" window? - space b/t cabinets is 50") to decorate the kitchen window. Hopefully I can hang the valance low enough (or with a deep enough scoop) so I won't need a shade to block the AM sun from the upper part of the window.

It's a tab-back valance, will have to see which way the tabs run - if they're loops to hang from each "pouf" or if you hang on a rod. JCP website doesn't show.

I like my saying (with some blue flowers) and the sketch of the farm, but just don't want another framed piece over the range. Do you think I could leave them if i put plate(s) there?