SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happyintexas

Letting Furniture Go

happyintexas
13 years ago

Okay, I know some of y'all do this regularly. Bring home furniture, live with it, discover you don't love it, and sell the offending piece on Craig's List or some other way...and then go shop again...

Why can't I seem to let things go?

Okay, one reason maybe that there isn't always moola to replace the offender...and knowing I won't get what I paid for it alarms me. KWIM? LOL

I have a *big* honking rocking recliner in my living room. We bought it last December in preparation for the baby granddaughter about to be born in our home. Part of the reason the chair is a big'un is because my son is 6'8" and his wife is 5'10". I wanted a recliner/rocker big enough one of them to sleep in should the baby require it. Fast forward a few months, they move into their own place leaving the chair in my living room. My other son likes it...I know for a fact it is a grand place to take a nap...but it's huge. Big. My living room is not. I'd like it to go live somewhere else. And, no, they don't have room for it. I looked.

All I'd have to do is list it for 70 bucks and be willing to bargain and it would be gone. G.O.N.E. Why can't I bring myself to do it?

The other reason is emotion. I realized this year that a piece of furniture from my mom's house is something I shouldn't live with if it doesn't make me happy. The little bench is cheap, rickety, and doesn't thrill me. It is clear to me that my mom wouldn't have kept it this long...yet, because I got it after she died, I have. I'm actively looking for a piece *I* like to replace this with. When that happens this one will go to the resale/thrift shop with my blessings. Maybe I'm making progress after all.

Thoughts on letting furniture go free?

Comments (7)