SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
namabafo

Deciding when to 'let go' of furniture

namabafo
16 years ago

This is going to be a navel gazing, soul searching kind of posting, but I'd appreciate any words of wisdom. This is long, so I really appreciate it if you find time to read.

I have bits and pieces of furniture that I've inherited and I don't *love* any of it, but feel I have this "obligation" somehow to be the keeper of this detritus.

I'm currently painting my dining room--going from a copycat C2 Wolfstone (brick red) to SW Escape Grey--but that is another story, of which I have many! ;)

Back in '92, when I had my first house, I was offered my grandmother's dining room set (Duncan Phyfe knock-off circa 1939). Before this, I had no idea this set existed as my grandmother lived with us since before I was born and her furniture was at her cousin's house. I jumped at the chance and got the table, buffet, sever and china cabinet. The chairs had mostly been broken to bits over the years. And someone cut down the legs of the china cabinet!

Fast forward 15 years--the table and serving pieces have been at my brother's house for 13 of the 15 because it didn't fit in our last 2 houses--now the table is broken and the serving pieces are back with me, but my brother and SIL have been unbelievably rough on the furniture (which was low quality to begin with!!) The veneer is lifted in places and oh, I'll say it, the stuff looks like junk.

But I know the history, this was my grandmother's first "set" of furniture when they were able to get out of the tenement they lived in and got an apartment with a dining room. It's more symbolic than anything. But I really think this stuff needs to go, but how do I let it go??

Add to it that we just inherited furniture from dh's mom. We now have an oak pedestal table with massive almost empire(?) legs that has nothing to do with Duncan Phyfe (never mind that I don't really like the chairs that go with this either, but felt pressured to take them by my B/SILs) and a glass bow front Larkin china cabinet.

Something has got to go!

Those of you who have "let go", how do you do it???

Actually just writing all this out is helping me come to a clearer answer for myself.

Thank you if you've read this. I'm off to finish the priming of the dining room--I was hoping for a nice bright day, but it is snowing again...

Nancy

Comments (27)