SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dollymibella

Intro, getting my feet wet (this is long)

dollymibella
15 years ago

Hello all. Former lurker here, but I haven't lurked for long. I am writing this not so much for advice, but to give something else besides a plea for advice (that will come later!). I thought it would be nice to see the process of someone else's research/planning and perhaps share (or eventually share) what I have garnered from this site as well as other resources. I thought an intro/status would be a good post for this board. I really love reading about everyone's progress/process/advice (hello plugmold!) and of course, looking at pictures!

My DH and I are in the middle of purchasing an apartment that needs a new Kitchen (among other things, the Kitchen the main focus of the reno). We have the opportunity to stay in our rental for without charge while we renovate (thanks FIL). We have to do it and take advantage of not living in the space right away so we can do the reno.

It seems like I am planning a wedding in a ridiculous amount of time with not a tremendous amount of cabbage. Full disclosure, I work for a GC, a high end GC in NYC whose work we could never afford in a lifetime. I have been able to use some contacts and their knowledge, but am spending a ton of time researching most everything. An architect from my office is designing the Kitchen as a favor (she is finishing soon!) and is giving advice, as did the owner of my company (and so far two Subs, an appliance

Vendor and another colleague who just did his own remodel). I really applaud those of you who have done it on your own. I can't imagine doing this without help, a lot of it from here. In some instances (and I am glad) I do not have many choices, since our Brooklyn brownstone Kitchen is small. For example I had a handful of choices for a tall thin fridge. I know this is appliance related, but I am pretty sure we are going with the following: Liebherr 24" fridge, GE Cafe gas range and OTR micro, Bosch Integra 500 DW. I am going to have one of our appliance vendors weigh in (he already has, will post when I get some feedback). DH is ogling some industrial style ranges, but I think for the space it would be too much, and not to mention the price increase, we will see.

Our constraints: we wanted a white Kitchen and to keep the existing wood floors, our layout is small with no windows or ability for venting outside. We were kind of close to going with Ikea cabs and mid/mid+ range appliances. Many people I work say to go with the IKEA cabs for our purpose/budget/timeframe. Our client's use it for their staff, and they (the people I work with) are always blown away by the quality for the price. This most likely will be our home for at least the next 7 - 10 years. The best of the Ikea white for us is the shiny modern style, already a challenge, as it would have never been my 1st choice. I am having a hard time with that, I do like the look, but feel it is too modern for me and the overall look I am trying to achieve (but the savings!!!). I am going to try to tone down the modern a bit with the fixtures and floor, etc. I have coordination issues, to boot. I am that gal who will get a great item (fill in the blank) that doesn't go with anything I own!

But I am still looking into other options for the cabs, more on that soon hopefully.

I REALLY REALLY want white marble counters and backsplash. Love them! I have researched this endlessly here (thank you all with BEAUTIFUL white stone counters for sharing, what an inspiration!). We still have to go to the stone yard and decide, there is a granite sample I have from the yard that is beautiful and crazy, Crystal Gold. Left on my own, I would have never chosen it, I always wanted veining and not speckle, this has veining! The slab could be too overwhelming. We are now looking at soapstone (more below).

I am glad no one has me for a client yet. I would certainly have driven them mad. I have also flipped flopped on the floor. I would LOOOOOOVE dark floor, but with our numerous pets and not being the best floor cleaner, I feel I would be kicking myself endlessly. White marble, OK, stains, etching, I can live with, constantly looking at pet hair, not so much. I made the mistake of getting a red carpet, and I kick myself about that for the same reason. At least wielding a swiffer is less a PIA than dragging out the vacuum. I researched dark wood floors endlessly as well. I still love them and it was my idea to get them and I totally reversed myself due to the hair issue.

Have any of you found yourself bargaining with your DH during the planning/reno?? I traded my husband the other night, lighter floors for a soapstone counter.

He agreed, and then tried to throw in that it had to have a soapstone sink. Uh, that wasn't part of the bargain and uh, hello, budget? Argggg......

I know this is a long, I have been writing it over the past few days. I just want to thank you all for your help and inspiration so far.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!