SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
myfirsthome09

Off center dining room table & medallion issue

MyFirstHome09
12 years ago

Help please....here is my issue....

My dining room is 11' x 13' and we have a tray ceiling in which there are 4 hi hats (1 towards each corner) and 1 center lighting fixture evenly spaced within the tray. My dining room table has a china closet adjacent to it so that when you look at the ceiling in comparison to the positioning of the table, the table is off center (due to the china closet sticking into the room by a depth of 21"). This also makes the lighting on the ceiling look off center compared to the placement of the table. We have purchased a chandelier to hang in the center and were interested in adding a medallion to make the ceiling more decorative, however, if we do this the medallion and center fixture will hang over more towards one side of the table than in the middle. If I move the lighting fixtures to make them look even over the table itself and not the room as a whole, then when you look at the tray ceiling it will look asymmetrical. What in your opinion is the lesser of the evil? Center the lighting and medallion to the width of the room like it currently is, or re-center it directly over the table? Should I skip the medallion so as to not attract attention to it? Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!