SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momx9

newbie looking for floorplan advice

momx9
11 years ago

We live in a 1961 mid century modern rambler. BIG house, BIG family - 11 total; hubby and me, and our 9 children, ages 22 down to 8 months. Oldest two are in college but still home full-time. We have several restricted diets, so we make most of our food from scratch, which means we do a lot of cooking, and we home school and my husband's business is home-based, so we're all here most of the time.

The kitchen is mostly original - replaced the original double wall oven last fall with a temporary fix, but the solid wood custom cabinets and stainless steel counters with original molded in sink are original.

What are your goals?

Open up the closed in kitchen to the family room, improve functionality.

How do you see your kitchen used?

Lots of cooking and cleaning, entertaining (informal), kids doing school work while Mom cooks, hanging out, older boys doing homework.

Do you have a separate DR?

Yes and we use it for our meals cause it's the only place in the house big enough to seat all of us!

Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? YES, open one wall to the family room, another from kitchen to "breakfast area".

Do you plan to merge two rooms/areas (e.g., Nook and Kitchen into a Kitchen only) - this is kind of what we're going to do when we open the wall from kitchen to "breakfast area".

Where are you flexible?

Can windows or doorways change size?

windows stay the same, doors are being opened up

Can windows be raised/lowered?

Probably not because of our limited budget

Can any walls come down?

other than what we have planned, not really

Does the sink have to be centered under a window?

is now, and hope to keep there

Though not required to stay there, we like having the sink under the window (it's a big window overlooking the backyard where the kids do play often). I feel like keeping most items in relatively the same place keeps the cost down, though I'm certainly open to moving things if it make more sense.

What appliances do you plan on having (helps to figure out work flow, work zones, and types of cabinets...upper/lower vs full height, etc.)

large french door fridge, 36x36 (bought in Aug. 2011), 5-6 burner gas cooktop (gas needs to be run, as we have elec now), double wall ovens, dishwasher (or two, if I can figure how to fit another), vent hood (seeing if using the current one is do-able, as I really like the vintage look of it)

Pantry: We have a very large walk-in pantry in the basement, which is accessed just off the kitchen, since we buy everything in bulk, so the one pantry cabinet in the kitchen is sufficient for the day to day stuff.

Is there anything you: Can't live without? - stainless steel counters - love them!!!! My army hasn't figured out how to ruin them yet, and that's saying a lot!

Definitely don't want? -

Would like if you can find a way? double wall ovens

I need finish ideas too - like what type of floor is virtually indestructible, back splash that doesn't have a lot of grout lines to worry about cleaning, stuff like that.

We are hugely function over form people. I love my original stuff, like the cabinets and counters and actually plan to have the cabinets removed, refinished and re-installed in a different configuration. We've measured and discussed with two different contractors and actually have a plan for how they will fit, if we use the floor-plan we've sort of landed on.

But, I'm worried there are things I haven't thought through, so I'm coming to the experts for advice.

current:

proposed:

Comments (11)