SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nedclayhouse

Kitchen Layout Advice Needed

nedclayhouse
13 years ago

First I apologize for my "rough" drawing and that I don't have things labeled. I will try to explain everything as simply as I can.

Here is the plan of my first floor. My questions today are about finalizing my kitchen layout. The kitchen is in the upper left hand corner of the plan. It is a U shape design. The scale is 1/4". (For ex: the short side of the U is 8') The top of the page faces West to a water view, to the left is South to a garden view, right is North and the bottom is East. We live in the Pacific NW where light is a premium. To the right of the kitchen is an open dining/living area. There is a fireplace at one end of the dining area. There is a covered porch area off the dining room. The punch out on the upper right hand wall is a built in TV cabinet. The stairs are existing and lead up to a second floor. On the one side of the stairs is a reading area with built in book cases. The lower right corner is the front door. Following around clockwise is a powder room, the laundry room, my office, a small pantry, my husband's office or MBR on the main if need be. The hall with a cleaning closet and doorway lead to a parking field where groceries and garage will come in and out. In the middle is an elevator that can not be moved. The stairs opposite the elevator lead to the basement garage. To the West of the stairs is a landing area for purses and phones etc.

BACKGROUND: I am 50 and my DH is 70 and we are semi-retired. This gut remodel is our forever house. We have lived in the house for 23 years and it is time. That said, if there was only one of us, the house would be too big and we need to consider resale. We are designing it to age in place so we are trying to work with wider aisles and doorways and be considerate of turning radii. We have no children but do have family that visits. We entertain a bit, usually in small groups and would like to do more. We cook daily, sometimes together so I am trying to consider two work triangles and we freeze a lot. We use our microwave all the time for breakfast oatmeal, heating up soup for lunch or pulling out a casserole for dinner.

OUR STYLE: Clean traditional bordering on transitional. The style of the house is NW shingled with natural landscaping. The main floor will be oak with a medium brown toned stain. The cabinets will probably be a creamy white paint with marble counters. I am concentrating on the layout right now and don't have other surface treatments picked yet. I do know the windows will be French casement.

We hope to get our permits any day and start demolition next week so I am close to having to have this pretty well worked out. Unfortunately my architect, who I love, doesn't work in CAD which means I don't have the pretty elevations and easy to read format some of you have. I appreciate your sorting through all this.

MY MUST HAVES:

48" SS Sub Zero Fridge - Since I freeze so much, it is nice to see everything and not have to dig around in a basket. We cook with a lot of vegetables and will use the larger fridge even though it is only two of us. I think it is a good investment for possible resale. I plan to panel it as I don't want to deal with the finger prints.

2 Dishwashers - I put everything in the dishwashers including pots and pans. When I am cooking, I usually spend one full day cooking and prepping for the week, I will fill both easily. I am thinking I will go with paneled Kitchen Aids. Right now they flank the large sink on the short end of the U.

2 Sinks - I definately want one of the sinks to be 2 bowls. The other sink will have to be a smaller prep sink just because of space. I am not sure how large I can get for either sink. If I have 8' on the short U side, with the two dishwashers, how large can my double sink be?

2 Ovens - This has been my real challenge. I don't have good wall space for double wall ovens. So I went with a 48" DCS range to get the two ovens. I have always had the wall ovens in the past but think that I will use the smaller oven in a 48" range quite a bit. If there was a good solution for the wall ovens I would prefer a 36" range so that I could have a little more counter space and overhead cabinets. (The twelve inches don't seem like much though considering the trade off.) - Side note: Am I crazy to consider a convection/microwave for a second oven and put it where the MV is now? I am not sure I have enough space/clearance and I don't want to change the 4' hallways. My architect suggested the smaller fridge but that would be a huge sacrifice to me.

Microwave - This is another big challenge. My DH says just put it on the counter but I insist on building it in. Since we use it so much, I need the larger size 22x17-1/2x11-1/2". It is too big to put overhead and I don't like that anyway. I don't think I would like a drawer. The ones I've seen seem flimsy and I don't like the lifting aspect. Right now I have compromised and put it on the short side of the fridge (MW) built into a custom cabinet. I figure I would have a pull-out "shelf" built for a landing/staging area. The other area I have considered is the SW corner. I don't really like corner cabinets but I know I need to compromise somethings.

2 Directional Light: It is natural to have a large window facing West toward the water view. So I put the largest sink here. The second light source would be from the South wall. It is natural to have the range here because it would vent to the outside easily, it acts as a focal point for the space and it anchors the two work triangles. Ideally I would like to have over head cabinets for my spices and oils on either side of the range but I put the windows there instead. Again some compromises here.

FINALLY: I don't have a lot of gadgets and stuff. My canned goods and working pantry will be the shallow cabinets on the side of the elevator. There will also be deeper pantry space above and below the MV. For seldom used appliances and some bulk storage, I have the pantry in the hall. The dotted lines represent overhead cabinets. In the SW corner is where I will store my everyday dishes and glassware. Underneath will be drawers for silverware. I am a little concerned that I can't reach over or stand along side of the dishwasher to unload. I am considering a ceiling to counter cabinet (BTW- our ceilings are 8') on the peninsula W wall but I am wondering if people sitting at the counter will find it imposing. I plan to make the peninsula 6" shorter so that I have a full 4' aisle and I think I want to have a 15" knee space under the end so someone can sit at the end giving me seating for 4 people. What do you think? Will the overhang look awkward from the living room side and is it too tight to put legs there? One thing I notice is that my architect showed the cabinets deep to allow for overhang but on the peninsula with the 15" knee space, the cabinet is only 24". I wonder if I should find those extra inches on the dining/living room side so as not to upset the "symmetry" of the U? I just discovered this. And my last question - what suggestions does anyone have for the "dead" corners created by the dishwashers on the short U side? I feel I have good enough storage but hate to waste space that could possibly be used.

That is all I think of for now. Whew. It is still a work in progress but I hope I am getting close. All thoughts appreciated and thanks in advance.

Comments (13)