SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Do you have a screen door on your front door?

Oakley
15 years ago

We'll be buying a new door with side lights. The side lights won't be part of the door, there will be brick or stone between them and the front door.

We've always had a storm door with screens in it to let air in on pretty days, or to just look outside. They make the rims on these doors in different colors so they won't stand out, but I've noticed when I drive around town, no one has them on their front doors anymore. We live in the country and screen doors are great!

If anyone here has a screen door on your front door, would you please post a picture of it if you can?

Comments (34)

• susieq07
    15 years ago

No but got a whole screen front entry...

• creekylis
    15 years ago

We do, but I keep the storm window in it all year and rarely leave the main door open. Our family room is in the back of the house and I would feel exposed and vulnerable if I left the front open. The storm door came with the house and if it were my choice, I would not have had it.

If you find you use it, then by all means have one!

• Related Discussions

Wood, steel, fiberglass etc. what kind of front door do you have?

Q

Comments (4)
    Our door is fiberglass with some mahogany trim. I love it! Carol
    ...See More

Do you have doors or removable panel on your vent hood?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have a Modernaire 42" insert in a wood hood. I have a three panel front with the middle panel removable - magnets hold it in place - no handles/knobs/hardware. You can not tell that it is removable at all. I had to ask the cabinetmaker how to remove it.
    ...See More

Color of screen door and front door

Q

Comments (14)
    You could also use British racing green, a very dark green with a few drops of black in it; it accents the pale creams & yellows beautifully. Sometimes I think that the term "ranch" is applied to any one-story house that isn't a Cape Cod. It makes me think of cakes; a sheet cake isn't just a sheet cake. It may be a princess cake or a batman cake or a wedding shower or baby shower cake. Your house has a front porch & gingerbread trim, & you like screen doors & rocking chairs, so I'm thinking your house is a modern home with Victorian icing. I don't think there's such a thing as the wrong kind of rocking chair, but it seems to me that you'd want something simple & sturdy, something that will withstand sun & rain, heat & cold, something you can use with or without cushions. You might look at one of the unfinished furniture places; if you find a chair you like, stain it & add a polyurethane top coat or paint it with a tough exterior-quality paint. Although it seems to me that white chairs would best suit the color scheme, a walnut or dark oak stain would be more "historic"; since I live in a genuine old house, I'm partial to "historic", but you live in a nice new house with historic accents, so you can choose whatever you like the best. Have fun!
    ...See More

screen door & front door

Q

Comments (12)
    Screen doors are great, and extend the fresh air season. Air conditioning already accounts for about a fifth of the total electricity used in buildings around the world – or 10% of all global electricity consumption today, and it's use is rising rapidly, especially in the developing world. And there's a link between air conditioning and the obesity epidemic. Sorry for the tangent, but overuse of A/C is a growing concern. I still don't know why so many homes and businesses are air conditioned to 68 degrees F or cooler-- just take some clothes off! Oh, and paint the screen door to match..
    ...See More
  • lacombe
    15 years ago

We have the phantom Screen doors on our doors a white one in the front of the house and a brown one going out to the back sundeck, we love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Phantom Screen Doors

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

We have one and I like it that way. It's nice to open the interior door in nice weather and let the sun shine in. I just lock the outside door. I like having natural light in my home too. I have a habit of frequently looking out the front door throughout the day when it's open (guess that comes from my early days of growing up in a row home) where everyone did that.

I prefer the 1/2 screen because I'm a private person and don't like the neighborhood walkers or people across the street peering in at dusk.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

We have one. I really like having it. We remove it about Nov. 1st and then put back up around April 1st, but then again we live in a colder climate than some. I love to keep my door open on nice days in the Spring and Fall.
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

• dixiedo
    15 years ago

We do... our house is white, so it was a no brainer that we went with a white frame. Here are 2 pics, one far, one closer...

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mclarke
    15 years ago

We had one in our last house. It was a "full-view" screen door, which could be changed out to a glass door in the winter.

It was great! Looked something like this:

{{!gwi}}

• kitchenkelly
    15 years ago

I have one. My dogs love to lay in front of the door and look out. (I never got around to exchanging the screen for the glass this year.)

• carriem25
    15 years ago

We installed a retractable screen door (like a Phantom, just a different brand name) this summer, and we love it. So much so, we are looking at possibly getting two more, for our downstairs doors (walkout basement).

Carrie

• natal
    15 years ago

An old pic when we still had a front screen door. The door opens directly into the living room which meant having a screen made for nice cross-ventilation when the weather allowed.

We've since added on and now use the new entrance in the courtyard, but this is what the old screen door looked like.

• kim0201
    15 years ago

Natal - I like the look of your screen. Is yours a wooden screen door? We live in the country & I'm nostalgic for the sound of a slamming wooden screen door I remember from my childhood.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    15 years ago

We have a black metal screen door with a solid portion on the bottom that's about 18 inches tall. We live in the country, the house is completely private up a long, hilly driveway and, it being Southern California, the regular door, which is wood with glass panes, is open most of the time. Love it!

• leahcate
    15 years ago

Cannot wait to order mine. They will be of thicker wood, painted to match front doors. Bottom 1/2 will be paneled for formality,with antique brass hardware( upgraded). They will be on year round. We have the Phantom type doors elsewhere, but didn't want them for front. They're not strong enough to keep dog in if she spotted a rabbit across the street:>) Mine will be the only one for miles around (So. Cal, here, too). Maybe we'll start a trend!

• uxorial
    15 years ago

I have a Bug Off Screen Door, which is a flexible screen that's split down the middle and held in place with a spring-tension rod and velcro. It's a great alternative to a "real" screen door--very inexpensive, removeable for the winter, you can put it on a different door (that's the same size), your pets cand go in and out, and you don't have to open two doors every time you go in and out. It's nice being able to walk right "through" the screen door when my hands are full. I've had several people comment on it and ask where they could get one. I got mine online, through the web site linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bug Off screen door

• susieq07
    15 years ago

Here is our screen entry, our screen contractor, tryed to make our double screendoors match doors inside, did a great job...pic. taken at xmas

• DLM2000-GW
    15 years ago

There was an el cheapo storm door on this house when we bought it - took it down years ago but I do miss the screen portion of it. I open windows at every opportunity and would love a screen door but was never certain how to make it work with our house and for the limited time frame in our climate.

****lyban*** - talk to me!!!! I love your entry, love your screen door and love that you take it down for winter! I've told my DH a hundred times that's what we should do and he looks at me like I have horns! Tell me how you do it - do you leave the jamb portion of the hinges up year round or do you remove the hinges totally? Where did you get that door? I want one! And last but not least....is that color Cottage Red?

• bedelia
    15 years ago

We just replaced our old storm door with a new one. We like the fresh air to come in during the nice weather. More than that, I like something between me and the stranger on the other side of the door.

Here's a pic from Halloween.

{{!gwi}}

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

I noticed that as my neighbors replace their exterior doors, they are removing the screen and storm doors. It seems that many or most of the newer exterior doors are well insulated and do not require a storm door, so people are not replacing their storm or combination storm/screen doors. Some are installing screen doors in summer, but many are not. Installing a screen door is certainly not as easy as moving that little panel.

I invested in a new front door last year and it was really stressful and time consuming choosing the right door. After it was installed, I received a few compliments from neighbors who drove or walked by, so I got a little bit of a "swelled head" : ) about my selection and maybe that's why I'm now reluctant to cover it with a screen door. I am considering phantom screens in a few places including the front door. So lacombe, glad to hear that you like yours.

Also, I'm curious, uxorial, whether your Bug Off screen requires any permanent hardware installation. Can it be installed for a day or two, then removed? I seem to only miss my screen doors for a short time during summer.

• loribee
    15 years ago

We went round and round about this...My husband really wanted one but I was afraid it would ruin the look of our new home. Finally I emailed the builder and he said fine, just get a full view door. We do love it for the breeze and for the heat it lets in on sunny days~ good luck!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi beach rose, do you happen to have a picture of your new front door, I'd love to see it. If you get a phantom screen for the front, you can still show off your beautiful door, we love our screens.I'll post a picture of our screen doors tomorrow so you can see ours.

• Lyban zone 4
    15 years ago

dlm2000,
    You have a good eye, that is BM Cottage Red.
    We just unscrew the big hinges that you see on the right hand side of door but leave everything else.
    We bought that from a small local door place here in Montreal but about 10 years ago but I have seem similar wood ones in alot of big box stores now.

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

We have a full screen one with a glass insert for winter. We like to leave the frontdoor open in the spring and fall. It's too humid in the east to leave the door open during the summer.(We need our ac)

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Hi lacombe, I don't have a photo of my new front door handy but here's a link. I'm not sure if it's my exact door but this is what it looks like. It's a seven panel medium oak finish fiberglass door with a center arch decorative glass insert.

I saw some full light (larger glass panel) doors that were very attractive, but the center arch offers a little more privacy. Actually, if someone stands at the door and puts their face right up to the glass, they can see inside although it's a distorted view and they would look a little funny doing that. They can definitely see if someone's answering the door. I am thinking about putting some kind of film behind the inset to increase privacy. I haven't thought about it much. Visitors have been trained to use the porch door next to the driveway and this is a very quiet neighborhood.

I lost some sleep while searching for a door. I hadn't planned to replace it just then, but I needed a back door for the garage and the builder suggested moving my old painted wood front door back there and spending the money more wisely on a new front door. Of course the screen door was removed with the old door, and there wasn't much point in a screen door on the back of the garage, so I gave it away. With no screen door, I open the windows to catch any breeze. The newer fiberglass exterior doors don't need a storm door but that doesn't solve the screen door issue. A retractable screen would be a good choice if it works well. It won't cost too much more than a better quality full view screen with delivery and installation.

Here is a link that might be useful: center arch door

• chay
    15 years ago

We have double RetractAway screens on the French doors leading to our patio and we love them. DH and I installed them and actually stayed married through the process! LOL In the spring I am going to put one on our front door which is wood and stained glass; I don't want to hide the door, but I love to have it open and the RetractAway door is inconspicuous. The only downside to the RetractAway is the our dogs learned in about 10 seconds that they can push it open with their noses; it stays closed with tension, not a fastener, and yellow labs have strong noses. I have thought of getting a magnet or velcro to keep it closed but haven't done anything yet.

• uxorial
    15 years ago

beach rose--There's nothing permanent about the Bug Off screen. It's really just a piece of screening material, split down the middle. It's held at the top with a spring-tension rod that goes thru a pocket on the screen, just like you'd hang a curtain. On the sides, at both top and bottom, are small (about 2") strips of velcro. You stick the one side of the velcro to your door frame; the other side stays on the screen. If or when you want to remove the screen door, you just give it a yank to unfasten it from the velcro and pull the rod down. All that's left on your door are four tiny pieces of velcro, which you could also remove if you wanted to. (You'd probably have to buy new adhesive-backed velcro to put it back up.)

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi beach rose I really like the new door that you got. I took a picture of our Phantom Screen today at the front of the house, the big square patch in the back ground is just a reflection of the mirror in the entrance way. {{!gwi}}

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Oh no, I can't see the photo. There's a message from photobucket: "The image or video has been moved or deleted". I just tried with a different browser and got the same results.

I would love to see the photo. Can you try again?

So glad you like my new door. I'm really happy with it - need to give that privacy issue a little more thought, however. The house across the road was recently updated, and they also got a door with an arched-style inset (different color and details). The similarity seems to add to the "neighborhood feel" here. Oh, and they have not added a storm or screen door.

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Oh no, I can't see the photo. There's a message from photobucket: "The image or video has been moved or deleted". I just tried with a different browser and got the same results.

I would love to see the photo. Can you try again?

So glad you like my new door. I'm really happy with it - need to give that privacy issue a little more thought, however. The house across the road was recently updated, and they also got a door with an arched-style inset (different color and details). The similarity seems to add to the "neighborhood feel" here. Oh, and they have not added a storm or screen door.

• Oakley
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the replies and pictures! I think we'll be going with an Andersen door, where you can pull down the screen on pretty days and retract it where it will only be glass on days we want to keep hot or cold weather out. And it comes in different colors!

I'm pathetic. This is the first time we actually get a beautiful front door with seperate sidelights! Well, the sidelights will be seperated with brick between the wood door.

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Don't know what happened to my picture of the Phantom Screen Door, I'll try again. {{!gwi}}

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I do not have a screen door but many in my townhouse complex do. I want to add a screen door to keep the drafts out of the sides of my door that still is not perfectly sealed despite the insulation added under the door and on the sides of the door. I also think this would be an added protection of another door that can be locked. I know my furkidz would love to look at out the window if I went with a full glass door. I would go with white siding. I wonder how much this door costs to buy and have someone install since before seeing this post, I was thinking of getting a screen door due to drafts.

• beach_rose
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting your photo (again), lacombe. That's a good close-up view of the Phantom Screen Door. That must be the cartridge on the left. It looks neat and it seems that it doesn't interfere with the threshold. And by the way, that's a lovely color blue on your door trim.

So if I understand correctly, Phantom Screens are installed professionally and RetractAway Screens, on the other hand, come in a kit. And chay, it sounds like they're not so easy to install. Bug Off screens sound good for a temporary solution during those perfect days - would probably save on air conditioning also.

Also, I'm curious. When I looked at full-view storm and screen combination doors I wondered how long it takes and how much strength is required to swap the window for the screen. Do they come with some kind of sleeve for storage?

• lacombe
    15 years ago

Hi beach rose, We didn't install the screen door, the installer did that, if what I can remember it didn't take that long to do. You also get a can of spay to spray the top and bottom tracks , just so that it glides better, I spray the tracks in the Spring time and again in the Fall.There's small magnets on the frame and the door which keep it closed tight, which I like.If there's any other questions about the screen door, I'd be happy to answer them, you have my email, thanks, beach rose. Lacombe.