SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redroze_gw

Pics of our new sectional

redroze
15 years ago

Our new sectional just came in today! I'm so excited, we've been renovating our kitchen and attached family room for the past 7 months and progress has been slower than we had wanted. But seeing the new sectional gets me very excited that it's almost coming to an end.

Here's what our family room looked like before. Don't get me wrong, I loved many things about it. It just didn't make the best use of space, and the tv and fireplace were competing. I also hated the golden hardwood floors which are hard to see in this photo.

Here's our new sectional! Still need to order the shag rug, and a brown leather square ottomon. We're mounting a flat screen tv on the wall to the right of the fireplace, and we may mount some silver shelves on the wall above the sectional and display black and white photos. Also, the fireplace is primed but needs to be painted (50% of the wall colour) so it blends in more, as we don't want it to be a focal point. And we're in the process of choosing a fabric for the drapes. I also want to get a low console table to go behind the sectional as I don't like the dividing line that shows in the back.

Can I get some suggestions on the colour/fabric of throw that would work with the pillows and sofa? Do you think a faux fur throw would work, and if so, what colour? I definitely need to get more pillows as it looks too bare - maybe in chocolate brown?

Comments (34)

• threedgrad
    15 years ago

A faux mink in a dark chocolate color would work for the winter months. The new sofa looks great with the floor - kitchen looks fabulous!

• dilly_dally
    15 years ago

Fabulous. Keep the pics of the progress coming.

• Related Discussions

Just for anyone new! Don't forget our FAQ section .

Q

Comments (1)
    Search section does not work for me. The page goes blank.
    ...See More

Need Replacement Sectional Sofa Cushions

Q

Comments (4)
    Their are many many upholstery shops in the LA area. Check in the yellow pages then go visit them and see the quality of their work. Most will have their own fabric sources and many will take COM, but their labor cost will increase some. But their also many fabric outlets that you can save big on fabrics. Either take the cushions to them or for a more precise fit they can come and measure.
    ...See More

sectional sofa recommendation

Q

Comments (7)
    I am curious as to why you don't want leather. It last longer. It's more sanitary. No dustmites and a good quality leather does not look like or feel like plastic. I agree that a good upholstery option is slipcovered as the slipcovers are washable. (FYI poster above Taylor King is a good option if you do decide on a fully upholstered option)
    ...See More

WHAT FABRIC & COLOR SECTIONAL SOFA FOR THIS RENTAL HOME FAMILY ROOM?

Q

Comments (13)
    Thanks for the great tips. Yes, it's a good point that 16 won't be sitting at the same time...more like 12 or so. Sadly, I have to go fairly dark due to the cleaning and staining issues. I should have added that I plan to add a large 12 x 15 area rug to break up the dark sofas from the darkish wood. I can't go with medium gray because it will look too "matchy-matchy" with the med. gray stone fireplace. Quick question/concern...I searched for sofas that are made from "Sunbrella" people here suggested and there are only a few and they are outdoor sofas. Mostly, the Sunbrella fabric is pillows. Also, I'll be removing both sofa tables behind the sofas that are there now, so that will give me another~ 4+ feet. But I still plan on putting more narrow sofa tables as I don't want the sofas right up against the walls, so it will be more like an extra 2 feet I'll be gaining. Any other suggestions for a "tough" fabric that won't be torn easily? We've had issues with guests sitting on the sofas, etc., with keys, etc, in their back pockets that tear the fabric or snag it. What are opinions on leather? Vinyl? Also, I'd like to lighten up the room with a cleaner, more modern white (ish) paint, maybe with a touch of gray, )but not with any blue or "pink" in it.) The walls are now painted Sherwin-Williams "Accessible Beige" and the Doors (not seen in the pictures are "Dovetail"...which I LOVE, but is way too dark for the walls. I've already gone down the line of the "Dovetail" paint strip and the lighter colors look kinda "pink-ish" in that room.) Thanks again everyone
    ...See More
  • jb1176
    15 years ago

Redrose,
    Everything is beautiful and I would like to know the paint color on the walls and whether the sofa is off white or gray or what. My monitor doesn't show the color very well. The space looks very comfortable.

• amylville
    15 years ago

The sectional looks great. You could do just about anything with the throw. A nice beige and white girrafe or leopard print would look nice (faux of course). Great job

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! Jb1176, the paint colour is BM Natural Cream which is a neutral beige with a bit of grey. I would best describe the sectional fabric as a darker version of the wall.

I found a nice faux fur throw at Pottery Barn. I would get the colour on top called Frosted Taupe.
    {{!gwi}}

• teacats
    15 years ago

Really gorgeous room -- just lovely!

• luckloo
    15 years ago

Love, love , love the PB Frosted Taupe throw. That's the one I'm thinking about too. It would look fabulous on your new couch! Wonderful kitchen! Keep on posting!

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Willams -Sonoma Home has some gorgeous faux throws. On sale this week:

Here is a link that might be useful: Faux Throws

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Foxy...I like the mink one a lot!! Unfortunately they don't have WS Home in Canada...

• les917
    15 years ago

You have made some wonderful changes! Love the darker floor - yum!

I know you said that you wanted the fireplace to disappear, but I think you might consider keeping it more visible for some texture and interest in the space. All of your surfaces are plain and smooth, and it would be nice to add some depth. I would think about doing the fireplace in a couple of shades darker than the wall color. It would transition between the black hole of the firebox and the very dark floors, and the light walls, furniture and trim. Then see about adding a mantel that would cover the existing stone one, done in a simple wood box the color of the floor.

As for accents, I would pick drapery first. I would love to see something a bit warmer, rather than more of the dark brown or beige. Perhaps a rich rust or copper, maybe some deep eggplant or navy added in.

• morton5
    15 years ago

It looks great, Redroze! The furniture placement with the sectional is sooo much better than before.

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

Beautiful room and that new sectional looks incredibly comfy! I can barely see them, but the hanging lamps in your kitchen are gorgeous! Can we see a close-up?
    Lynn

• boringmama
    15 years ago

Redroze! I love to check in and see your postings and pics. I think the chocolate brown IS warm and needs to tie in with the other dark color such as the floor etc., and also suggest using another color with it as well. Choco brown and perhaps picking up the beautiful garnet color the bianco antico has.......or anything you like. Rust, sage green, bright yellow etc. Something with 'zing'.

I think you have to decide your window treatments first, though. Pillows and throws are the cherry on the sundae!

Our project is moving along ever so slowly. Finally picked out backsplash tile and accents. Went to order yesterday only to find out Westminister ceramics has filed bankruptsy and has closed....plan 'B' is now o.k. thanks to this forum!
    Deniselie

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So sorry- I haven't check in here for awhile!

Les - great ideas! We picked a linen-cotton fabric for the drapes, and our finials are crystal balls with an antique silver rod.

Lynn - here is a close-up of the lamps. These are old photos and the inside of the lamps weren't dusted here. I would take new ones but our electrical is being upgraded.
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}

Denise - Thanks for checking in on our reno! I'm glad to hear that you were able to find a backup tile. I'm planning on changing the accents in the room - sometimes the lavendar that i have in there now, sometimes a punchy pink like this:

Finally, here are some new photos of our PB leather ottomon! We got it "as is" as it's a store display model and the legs have some nicks and the leather has some wrinkling. We just call it a "rustic look". =) 30% off!!

• lacombe
    15 years ago

I don't know if your looking for more cushions, I came across this one. She has some beautiful cushions on her site.

Here is a link that might be useful: nenavon

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lacombe, yes I am looking for more pillows. I may just order from her...her pillows are droolworthy! Looks like she ships to Canada too.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They are really, really nice. And I have two 16x16 pillow inserts from PB that have covers that no longer co with our decor. She sells some covers which are PERFECT, I've been looking everywhere for nice covers. Thanks Lacombe!!!

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

oooh, beautiful room. And I'm loving your new ottoman. Gorgeous.

Have you considered a round rug to go under your ottoman? Maybe you'd rather just have bare floor, but I'm thinking a shaggy round carpet would look amazing in your room, maybe in a color that is pulled from the pillows you are considering.

I LOVE your kitchen, and the light fixtures in there are drop dead gorgeous. Hope you post more photos when you get our window tx's up, etc. I am LOVING your style. :o)

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Totallyblessed - actually, we are doing a square rug under our ottomon. It will be a fun shag rug in a neutral colour. I know it's another neutral...but I really do believe more in adding colour through non-permanent and non-expensive accents.

Thank you for your compliments on my kitchen! We are about 95% done. Waiting for drapes to come in, still need to buy barstools (we have PB shinto style ones temporarily) and kitchen table and chairs too. And they're adding filler trim above our crown molding. Can't wait til they're done so we can vaccuum everything and start adding our stuff in the open shelves, glass cabinet and counters. It looks so bare now!

Just for you though, here are a few recent photos....

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    15 years ago

Very pretty! If you haven't already bought your Frosted Taupe PB throw, here is one on eBay as a Buy It Now for $114, at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best price I found

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I love the simplicity of your Kitchen and FR. Great and well thought out choices. I am looking forward to seeing your window treatments.

• pammyfay
    15 years ago

The sectional is fabulous! I can even feel the softness from here! The previous furniture setup was "pretty" but not so "relax and enjoy," you know what I mean? Great decision.

The kitchen is looking lovely too--I like the bits of darkness to balance all the white/lights. A question: Are there electricals in the column near the fridge? Is there another column off to the right of the photo or just the one?

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My3dogs - Great price, I'll check it out! I live in Canada though so buying from Ebay isn't always the best option, as I have to pay not only shipping but also duties. Grr...darn duties. I bought my backsplash tiles from Ann Sacks and had to pay an arm and a leg for those duties.

Jerseygirl - Thank you! I'll post more photos when the kitchen is done...mid-Feb sounds like the right timing for it to be completely done.

Pammyfay - You're right, the sectional is soft!! DH wanted fabric that would feel nice against the skin and the fabric feels great. The column is there for structural purposes and does not have any wiring (we checked), it's only the one column in there. We could have removed it and put in a horizontal metal beam in the ceiling, but we didn't do it for cost purposes. We may do it sometime in the future. It doesn't look so great in the photos but it actually delineates the space quite well in person...it's quite open from our kitchen to family room and we have a big entry between the two rooms, so I almost feel like the column makes it feel more intimate.

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

They have throws like that at TJ Maxx. I was going to buy the chocolate colored one :)

I don't think they are over $50. I can check if you want and take pics. I wouldn't mind picking one up for you and shipping it. I'm not sure how much shipping would be... but would you have to pay duty if it is labeled "gift"? LMK :)

• User
    15 years ago

I wanted to comment I like the new sectional. I love your kitchen and those island lights!!!

I really love this faux fur throw on ebay. I know you said you're in Canada but... it's still pretty! Rich chocolate brown!

They did have other smaller sizes. . . it's compared to the pottery barn ones and the seller has 100% positive fb.

Here is a link that might be useful: Choc. Mink Throw

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Redroze, if and when you return to this thread, I would like to know what sofa you bought (company) and if you are satisfied with the quality, would you buy again? I am in the process of a "change of life," and contemplating a sectional and read so many bad things about so many and I would like to hear from someone who has one they like what it is they like, etc.

• crescent50
    15 years ago

Redroze-
    Your home looks beautiful. I especially love the kitchen lights and the square ottoman. Would you mind sharing the details?
    TIA!

• krissd
    15 years ago

Redroze, I'm with Patricia43 and would love to know the brand of your sofa. Love it. Also, what kind of granite do you have? Everything is beautiful!

• wijum
    15 years ago

I just wanted to say that I like your sectional and your kitchen. Very nice. I am also interested in where you purchased your sectional.

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So sorry everyone, I didn't subscribe to this post so had no idea there were other responses!!

Remodelqueen - very sweet of you to offer, thanks!! We'll actually be visiting the states soon so we'll check out TJ Maxx. Thank you so much for the tip!!!

Sheesharee - Another beautiful throw. So many options. Thank you too for the tip!

Patricia - It's a custom sofa from a Canadian company called Gresham House. I think the quality is incredible, but definitely think it was pricey. What are the bad things you've heard about a sectional??? We were anti-sectional at first because I worried it would be like throwing all these people on one sofa, and I didn't like modern. But it works really well in our particular room, is comfy, allows lounging. I love it so much.

Crescent - The kitchen lights are from a Canadian company called Turn of the Century Lighting. They are antique reproduction lights. The square ottomon is from Pottery Barn, called Sullivan.

Krissd - Our granite is Bianco Antico. Thanks so much!

• saskatchewan_girl
    15 years ago

Your home is beautiful! Absolutely georgous : )
    I'm from Canada too.....I'm sure you can tell by the name LOL. I think the sectional goes great and I really like purple (my fave color) although I would try something in a deeper color, like eggplant, red, copper, lime green etc. I was shopping this weekend and seen some great products and prices from Winners and Pier 1. I seen many faux fur (mink) throws at Winners. And I did see some wonderful red pillows at pier1 with cream floral designs that would give your room some "POP" of color you want! I searched for some pics for your wall that may accent also.......I don't know what type of art you like I just went with bold color, thinking of it in an espresso frame to match with your island. Then you could try some pillows to match, just a few to add color, and the mink throw!
    Here are some pics of a few ideas...........
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}
    Good luck with your decorating and happy shopping : )
    SK_girl

• patricianat
    15 years ago

Redoze, still love your room. By now, I have already purchased a sectional. I got a Lee locally. I am not sure how well it will hold up as I have heard both bad and good about their quality.

• krissd
    15 years ago

Redroze - I posted to you in a thread in kitchens about you sharing your sectional detail in the fkb. Nevermind! Saw your latest post here. Thanks for the info. We just ordered another sectional (our third). Can't wait. Anyway - this is all beautiful. Kris

• redroze
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Saskatchewan_girl - Love the artwork!!! Especially the greenish lotus flower thingy, and the bluey abstract one. LOVE THEM A LOT!!! I'll check out the pillows at Homesense and Pier 1, and the faux fur throws at Winners...I'm sure they're on sale with spring around the colour.

Patricia - Thanks! Good that you purchased a sectional. I am not familiar with Lee. Crossing fingers for you that it holds up well.

Hello Krissd! Good stuff. Sectionals rock, I'm totally converted now.

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County