SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sujiwan_gw

Alternative paints for problem sites

After rehabbing room after room of paint failures in an old farmhouse, I have become really leery about product choices. This is a very old farmhouse with lime/silt plaster which had repairs done with gypsum (incompatible) and paints over calcimine, then painting over failed paint multiple times, then using latex over oil type (failure). Basically, a mess where whole walls need to be stripped to the bare lime plaster.

Then there's the woodwork with layers of oil/acrylic/latex over milkpaint. If the paint job isn't cracking open or delaminating in areas, it's thickly painted over lumps and bumps.

I have been investigating environmentally friendly breathable walls using lime paint, casein or distemper on my newly skimmed lime plaster walls.

I've also been contemplating what to do with the woodwork--trim and floors. One option is linseed oil paint. It seems like a good choice for my exterior windows, but I wonder if anyone has used any indoors?

Linseed oil paint is very expensive--not sure why. I note that F&B charges similar per gal @ $125 on line though I don't know what the woodwork paints are made from to justify the price either. Are these F&B for woodwork latex paints?

Has anyone used any of the above products on walls or woodwork that can talk about how well it worked for them?

Comments (3)