SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lacombe_gw

Can I see your front door dressed for Christmas

lacombe
15 years ago

Here's a picture of ours in the day time and at night time with the lights on. {{gwi:1455564}}{{gwi:1449690}}{{gwi:1455565}}

Comments (129)

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

I saw a version of those suction cup clips at MenardÂs yesterday and got excited, then saw it was an "assortment" and most were so tiny (half an inch!), I canÂt think they would hold up anything. IÂm still looking for the "Good" ones with larger suction cups.

The rest of my lights that were put up with the clips attached to foam squares have since fallen down. Now thatÂs a worthless product, thought maybe IÂd mention it before anyone buys them.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

mimi, as usual, I love the front of your house. I saw some tall topiaries at Sam's Club tonight and I was salivating over them, but they were $99 each. 2 of them would look fabulous on my new porch next year. I am going to try to keep an eye on them and try to catch them when they are marked down, that is if any are left.

• Related Discussions

Can you see your kitchen from your front door?

Q

Comments (26)
    This is what you see when you come in our front door: But since hardly anyone comes into our house through the front door, this is what you actually see. The patio door entrance is to the left of the refrigerator, which is the way most people arrive: And this is what that view used to look like: Obviously the open concept doesn't work for everyone, and doesn't always fit the architecture of the house. i grew up in PA where very old houses were the norm, and mostly small and closed off were how a lot of the rooms were. When I first moved west I thought that was what I wanted, but moving to the bay area in CA - for a young couple-we were just happy to find a house we could afford, and this was a long time ago. When we moved into this house, almost 34 years ago, I really liked the open concept, such that it was. And there was a formal dining room, which I wanted. But that room really cut things up, and contributed to the choppiness of the space, and the less than ideal function of the kitchen. Removing 2 walls, the refrigerator wall in the first "before" pic above, and the hutch/desk wall in the 2nd, made our kitchen visible from a lot of our living area. But to us the openness enhances not only the form, but most especially the function. I know this thread was about seeing the kitchen from your front door-sorry to go OT.
    ...See More

Does anyone have a Christmas tree on your front porch?

Q

Comments (5)
    I've done that in the past. We ended up with a free artifical tree one year. I put it in the middle of my narrow front porch in front of some windows. Then I strung dark red lights and glittery garland. It was pretty and fun. I'm trying to remember how I weighted or secured it....don't recall. My mom used to wrap boxes with a brick in them to put around the trees out front. That was always fun. I like to put decorative pillows on the wicker...I usually just wrap an outdoor pillow in holiday fabric and secure with safety pins. Lights, a pretty wreath...those are classic around here.
    ...See More

Better way to attach lights to windows?

Q

Comments (1)
    Hi linnea56 go to , Can I see your front door dressed for christmas, it's here on the decorating forum, I've got 3 pictures there of the clips that I use for the lights around my windows for inside. Make sure your windows are really clean before you start doing this. There might be the odd one that pops off, just put a little water on the back of each one.
    ...See More

Sometimes you can't see what's right in front of your face!

Q

Comments (4)
    My situation has changed. I'm getting rid of everything and moving into a smaller place, so I'm not doing these projects. In fact, I put all the drawers back out by the dumpsters and one of the pickers who come around picked them up.
    ...See More
  • daisyadair
    15 years ago

Lots of great pictures here.Love the lollipops on the wreath.

Does it count to decorate above the door?

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Wow daisy that is beautiful. Love the lights outlining the entire roof line and fence. What is the wreath made out of? Is it solid lights? Forgive me, I can't see in my old age.

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Oh. Oh my. daisy that is stunning!!! Your wreath & lights, the house, the arches - oh my I love what you've done with your house!

lacombe, my little house, with its front window trimmed in suction cupped lights, is just too shy to come out & show its face among all of these magnificent beauties! ;-) I tried to encourage it, really I did - I told it that it was dressed simply, but elegantly, but really, it's just a very shy little thing.

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow daisyadair, that wreath looks perfect up there, that's the perfect spot for it, I know some ladies have been asking about what to use on the windows or glass doors. What have you used to hold the wreath on the window? I know for my self, I just used 2 large plastic suction cups,and I made sure it was warmer weather to do it, we were -26 celsius today in Alberta, Brrr too cold, and the wreath stays on the glass of the door .Thanks for posting your picture. moonkat99, I'm glad that those clips are working good for you. Enjoy your lights.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Thanks guys! The wreath is formed plastic that curves out in front and is being held up with eye hooks and picture wire from above.

• totallyblessed
    15 years ago

wow, everyone's homes look fabulous.

Txhottie, I've never seen your house lit up at night. It's as beautiful at night as it is in the day. :o)

Wish I had some decorations outdoors to share. This is our first Christmas in the house, and I've been busy buying trees and whatnot for the interior. Still have a long ways to go. I do have colored lights out on our master porch railing, but it's the side of the house, and I have no photos. But hopefully next year I can share photos on the front door thread. :o)

Beautiful. Very inspiring. So glad you all shared. :o)

• brutuses
    15 years ago

daisy, when you take the wreath down would you mind taking a real close up so we can see exactly how it's made. It's really pretty and unique. Thanks

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Anything for you, Patsy!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Front Door:

Windowbox:

The inside of my front door:

Foyer table:

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi kmcg85, I love the way you did the 3 wreaths, what a great idea, and your flower box looks so nice decorated,and also a great wreath inside too, Thanks for posting your pictures.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

kmc, I love your silver elements especially that flower box. However, I think you need some silver with white flowers and white lights throughout your outside garland and little trees. As they are right now, it looks unfinished. DId you make the silver wreaths, they are really neat?

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Brutuses, thankyou. I do have ivory ribbons and white lights on the front porch garland. There are also white lights on the garland around the door and wrapped around the porch posts. The picture was taken during the day, so it might be hard to see them. Since that picture was taken, I have added more ribbon to the tops of the juniper trees and the swag around the front door. Thanks for your suggestions, I do appreciate them! The silver/gold wreaths I got at Z Gallerie. It is exactly what I pictured for the front door since it is black. A green wreath doesn't show up that well. I wanted Bling! Since they were a smaller diameter than I had pictured, I opted to get three and hang them in a line! At night, I have a spotlight shining on the door, so it showcases them in a nice way!

• iris16
    15 years ago

It has finally begun to look like Christmas in our area. Last night it snow just enough.
    {{!gwi}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

iris, very pretty.

kmcg, thanks, I would love to see your house lit at night. I love looking at decorated houses at night. The other night I took the dogs with me to go see some lights. DH was busy with work. The dogs enjoyed it, but had no idea what mama was oooing and ahhhhing about.LOL

• texashottie
    15 years ago

Brutus--new puppy is still so cute! He's laying on my feet right now chewing on a chew toy. Doggies are lovely little creations, aren't they?

NHB and TB, thank you so much! :D

Iris, I envy those beautiful big trees you have in front of your pretty home---you took advantage of them perfectly!

Diasy, love your green lights and wreath! Beautiful house!

Mimi and NHB, I love the numerous "small" wreaths displayed--they really make a WOW statement!

Kelly, I love seeing your home pics; they are magazine-worthy!

Okay, Kmc, I am going to start stalking you now! Gush! Love the evergreen spray with the white ribbon and bulbs--you executed that perfectly! And the 3 wreaths on that black door is incredibly handsome. And the black urn with the nekkid branches--gosh, I did something like this for a dinner table once (yours is better!).

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

My current home. This is the 3rd yr. I thought we would be in new house, maybe next year.
    Not very christmassy but I still do love this house. Keep thinking I don't want to go all out decorating because we are moving.

We had snow this week so it definitely had that christmas feeling.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

acountryfarm. I decorated a wreath to put on my current door and need to take a photo to post. Like you, I'm yearning to decorate the new house. I have 2 wreaths for the new house that I still need to decorate and hang. I think I'm running out of time. I went and bought the suction hooks so many folks here recommended, so I'm almost ready. LOL, they may not make it up this year after all. We'll see!!

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

iris16, I love how the lights look at night time when the pictures are taken, it looks so beautiful, thanks for posting your picture. acountryfarm, I just love the color of your home, there's something about a yellow house, that makes me smile,and yours does with the ferns, and the green garland, very pretty, thanks for posting your picture.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

Brutuses, I tried taking pics last night, they didn't come out that great! I'll try again!
    TH, too funny! I literally just slapped those evergreens on top of the windowbox. Usually, I take care to stick them in the dirt, arrange, yada, yada, yada. It was freezing out and we were expecting ice that night, so I hurried through, put the ribbon and bulbs on and ran inside! That black urn with the silver branches? I bought the branches from a home store that was going out of business. There were three branches and I came home and stuck them in the urn and added the silver ornaments and mercury glass from Target! You're right, it would make a fab DR centerpiece! Sometimes I can picture it in my head. If it works, great! This year it seemed to work! Other years, not so much.

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

I'm too tired this year, but I'm making a mental note for next year to place a present by the front door to hide the BIG ORANGE CORD! Yikes!

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

pdg777, how did your night pictures turn out? love to see your pictures.

• teacats
    15 years ago

Bumping this on up to the top -- just to say how much we enjoyed everyone's creative, brillant and simply beautiful front doors -- and front yards!

Jan (who stuck up a simple wreath, threw a Seasons Greetings sign on her bench ...... )

P.S. KMCG: Truly genius idea! -- the three wreaths on the front door are marvellous!! LOL about the orange cord -- all electrical cords (indoors OR outside!) drive me bonkers! :)

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks teacats, I can't believe that when I started this thread about , Can I see your front door dressed for Christmas, I would get soo many pictures and wonderful greetings from everyone, and they're still coming in. Thankyou to everyone who has posted their pictures, I love seeing all the pictures. Lacombe.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

Here's mine ... simple .. there are some very luxurious homes on this post.

{{!gwi}}

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Very nice wreath on your door,pamghatten, looks great, thanks for posting your picture. Hi fauxchick56, looks like your picture got deleted or moved, try again, would love to see it.

• fauxchick56
    15 years ago

lacombe: I can see my front door pic - not sure why it isn't showing for you - but hopefully, this one will post correctly!

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fauxchick56,Yes the picture is showing now. The lighted garland looks so beautiful around the door,looks really nice on the stone exterior.Thanks for posting your picture.

• love-my-lilhome
    15 years ago

I can't post anything because I didn't decorate this year
    but I wanted to say that looking at the Christmas spirit
    all around everyones beautiful homes made me misty.
    Christmas is just the most beautiful, heartfelt time of the whole year and to get to see such drooling pictures
    made me happy.
    Beautiful. I repeat myself on every post.....such talent.

Linda

• brutuses
    15 years ago

pamghetten, are you new to the decorating forum? I see on your bio page you have a farm and love animals and gardening. I would, and I know other would, love to see photo of your 3 miniature donkey's. So as not to hijack this thread, would you mind posting some photo's of them on the conversations side of this board? Thanks

Merry Christmas

• thestylishhouse
    15 years ago

My house is decorated with evergreen swags, ribbons, wreaths and red candles in the windows.

• pamghatten
    15 years ago

brutuses, see conversation thread ...

• teeda_2006
    15 years ago

My door is dressed with a simple swag made from greens cut in my yard--and Mother Nature did all the rest! We've got about about 15" of snow right now and it's making everything look a lot like Christmas!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

teeda, that mother nature sure knows how to enhance things. Your decor is beautiful.

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thestylisthouse, looks like your picture got deleted or moved, can you try again.teeda 2006, What a beautiful picture, I love the way the light glows in the dark, the wreath is beautiful, I just love the wood details around the front entrance, is your house a Georgian Style?Thanks for posting your picture.

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

teeda 2006 -- Wonderful !!!

So many beautiful homes & wonderful front doors.

• thestylishhouse
    15 years ago

Lovely homes everyone, beautiful Christmas Spirit!
    Apologies for the deleted photo, IÂm learning.

{{!gwi}}

• brutuses
    15 years ago

She registers and post photo's the same day. See her description in her first post that she couldn't get the picture to post. Sounds like a spamer to me. What y'all think?

• awm03
    15 years ago

We're still a construction site, but at least the two dumpsters finally left last week. How do you like the barn light and the "window treatment" in the upstairs bath? Waiting on brackets for the pediment.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

Oh Brutuses, you're more paranoid than I am. I'd wait and see.
    Some posters are legitimate! But you may be right.

• thestylishhouse
    15 years ago

Waving a friendly hello,
    Brutuses, hopefully you were not referring to me in your last post. Is there a rule we are not suppose to sign up and post on the same day? Here I was patting myself on the back happy I could get anything to show up, then saw I deleted my picture when I was housekeeping my photbucket last night. The only reason I posted again was because Lacombe asked me to and I did not want to be rude.
    Anyway nice to meet you all Cathy

• brutuses
    15 years ago

hi bumble, no I'm not paranoid. Maybe it's just my upbringing but, when I go to a new place or meet new people, I either introduce myself, compliment them, in this case, on their decor.

thestylishhouse, can you tell us about your decor style? This is a decorating forum and we communicate with each other. Registering and posting a photo on the same day, without a personal message of some kind, is in most cases seen as spam.

Tell us a little about your decor style?

I received your e-mail.

• thestylishhouse
    15 years ago

I would classify myself as an updated traditionalist. I enjoy searching and collecting special things over time as I can afford them. I appreciate and enjoy my home, friends and family. I donÂt live near my family so it is special when we can be together. I have had my ups and downs in this life as all of us have. I came here to share ideas with like minded, talented people. The photo of my home is a true reflection of my nature which is why I let it speak for myself. I find it more interesting to listen then to speak, because I tend to learn more. I sew, cook, loom weave, paint (mostly my house) and I am working on developing a decent tennis serve!

• Kathleen McGuire
    15 years ago

stylishhouse, Welcome! Hopefully you will enjoy it here as there are many talented and friendly peolple willing to help or admire. We LOVE pictures and your front door is gorgeous! Looking forward to 'seeing' you around the forum!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Welcome, look forward to having you be part of this forum.

• bonniee818
    15 years ago

Alittle late getting Christmas pics but here is the door area........Bonnie

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi, thestylishhouse, thanks for putting your beautiful home back on for us to see.I love the way you've done the garland up and around the top of the door,what a beautiful wreath, thanks for posting your picture. bonniee, I love what you've done with your wreaths, they look great on the windows, and also the door, the urns looks so nice with the flowers in them. Thanks for posting your picture. awm03, love that window treatment on the bathroom window, we had to do that to, when we first moved in, I like the barn light in the entrance way, the wreaths look great on the doors, thanks for posting your picture.

• lacombe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thankyou everyone for posting your beautiful pictures of your front doors. I enjoyed looking at them all. I hope you all had a Wonderful Christmas. Lacombe.