SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Craftsman drawers? Yet another period kitch. Q!

theresse
13 years ago

Howdy.

Ok here's question #5,492 or something like that:

My contractor's about to order our kitchen cabinet doors and drawer fronts. Yay!! I'm getting shaker doors (inset) and I just assumed I was going to get shaker drawer fronts as well (one panel w/ square trim around the edges) but then I remembered my childhood home drawers as well as my grandmother's and then started looking at my saved craftsman period picture links and I realized that they didn't have shaker drawer fronts but just no trim at all! Just a bin pull, usually. The edges, however, were *slightly* ...what's the word... not quite rounded but just sort of thick or maybe beveled is the word? But I don't think that's the right word either. Basically the majority of the drawer was ever so slightly raised and then the edges beveled in, if that makes sense, or just came in flush in a gentle curved sort of way...extremely subtle.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about??! I probably sound as nuts and obsessed as ever.

So... are my only option shaker drawer fronts or plain drawer fronts (just completely flat - not curving in at the edges)? And if so, which would you choose? Just flat w/ bin pulls for the same craftsman look, for the most part?

Thank you!

p.s. my upper cabs are original 1913 craftsman, tall (up to ceiling), 3-panel each, shaker style inset doors. The lower ones, a bit shorter, can either be one simple panel shaker style, or are tall enough that I could even do 2 panels for a more consistent, if slightly busy, look. Any suggestions there?

Here's a great link to real photos of 1910's (including teens) kitchen interiors which show the drawer fronts as being not paneled, like I'm talking about. One of the pics might show the edges being more rounded but I can't remember...

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of real 1910's/teens kitchens (w/ drawers)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus