SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
november_gw

thoughts on honed AB after 6 months of finished kit chen

november
15 years ago

This site was so helpful to me last fall when we did our kitchen. I thought I'd write down my thoughts about my black counters after having them for a while. I agonized about this so much! I hope this is helpful to anyone in similar agony...

Here's what I LOVE about my honed absolute black countertops:

They look classic

They're kind of unusual where I live - most people have more movement in their granite

They are very, very durable - I put hot pans on them etc.

They are easy to clean (see below) - I use Method granite cleaner or dishsoap and water.

I love to clean them because I love how beautiful they are when they look perfect

It shows when they aren't clean - this has helped me keep my kitchen cleaner, because I'm not a cleaning freak. If I can't see it, I probably won't clean it.

Nothing has stained them so far, and we've been pretty tough on them.

Here's what I don't love:

They show water marks whenever anything wet hits them - water, juice, milk, anything. These easily clean up, even if left overnight, but I do have to wipe the counters several times a day if I want them to look perfect (see above)

If someone randomly stops by, my counters don't necessarily look their best, unless I've just wiped them off.

I think it's all about whether you enjoy wiping them down or not. After six months, I really do enjoy it, because we spent a lot on this kitchen and it's fun to keep it looking lovely. If you want your counters to look pretty perfect without wiping them twice or three times a day (I'm home all day with kids, so I guess the counters wouldn't be messy if I wasn't there), you probably don't want honed AB.

Comments (8)