SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dinkledoodle

Island power question and lighting advice needed

dinkledoodle
14 years ago

First, is a "free standing" island required to have power to it? It is dividing a large open great room. There is no walls from which to run power. Floors are original terrazzo (slab on grade) and I don't want to rip them up to run wiring. Even if I ran power from the ceiling, there is no place to put electrical boxes other than inside the cabinets; can't imagine that meets code either. HELP!

Secondly, what about the lighting? I was thinking pot lights might work over/around my island. We were concerned that pendants might be too many hanging things with my chandelier in the DR and ceiling fan in the LR, considering how tight the space is. Normally, I'm a "more is more" type decorator, but have promised to exercise restraint this time. Love is the art of compromise, darn it!

Is there any such thing as too many pot lights? I don't want to end up with a polka dot ceiling. ~;o) If you wouldn't mind looking, where would lights go best in my plan? I'm thinking three pots over this island. Is that enough? No reason two over the sink are wouldn't work too, is there? How about one centered in front of each bank of uppers? Somebody stop me!

Comments (6)