SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

Layout again, now I think it is better but still need help

annab6
15 years ago

I hope you guys don't laugh too hard at me, we were supposed to be much further along with the kitchen, but here i am with another "layout" post.

I have already posted my "final" layout some time back thinking that was it, was ready to order the cabinets and even paid the deposit. There were a few details to finalize there but we were going away for a week so decided not to rush it with the order and just do it when we get back.

I guess some things are meant to be...

While on vacation, we were staying at a rental condo with a builder-grade, very basic kitchen. But, except for the fact that it had a peninsula instead of an island and one sink instead of two, it had the layout which I originally wanted and which you guys have also tried to convince me to go with, but which I rejected thinking it would never work in our space. Well, we loved it, and also learned a few things from it. For example, the counter overhang was only 10" and although the standard is 15"-18", the 10" was not bad even for my 6'-tall DH.

So what do you think happened next? Long story short, here are the pictures of my new layout which I like so much better already although it still needs some work.

What do you think?

I am very happy with the large working island and a prep sink. Would love for the prep sink not to be right across from the fridge but don't want to move it further to keep the counter uninterrupted.

Still have three problems:

First problem. We decided to bump out the main sink. Tried to pretend washing dishes in showrooms and found that even with a shallow cabinet above the sink, DH was almost bumping the cabinet with his head. So now the sink is pulled out. But we added 3" decorative posts next to the pulled out sink cabinet to make it look nice and therefore lost 6" of cabinet space which reduced the sink to a basic single one. I was originally planning to get Franke Orca in fireclay but now since it wouldn't fit, I am thinking blancodiamond single silgranit sink.

Does anyone know of a way to decorate the pulled-out sink cabinet without loosing so much cabinet space?

Second problem - microwave vs second oven in the island.

The layout specifies m/w in the island. I know I need a small oven which is not a M/W for small jobs, I am not a m/w person. So my options are a)use a toaster oven as my second oven or b) use the island cabinet for a real 2nd oven and find another spot for a microwave. I would prefer the second solution except i just can't find a good alternative spot for a micro. I am thinking what if I just keep a small microwave on the counter, but this would be a "bad design", would it?

Third problem is the 24" cabinet that sticks out of the island in the back. I think it would be great to have an undercounter refrigerator in that location, it would help with the fridge space and would create sort of a breakfast area because the toaster and the coffeemaker are going to be in the appliance garage, cereal is going to be above the appliance garage and the dishes will be next to the sink. But I don't think it looks good the way it is right now. Would appreciate any ideas how to make it fit visually as well.

Comments (12)