SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laxsupermom

How we live vs how we want to live & organizing

laxsupermom
13 years ago

I would have posted over in the Organizing the Home forum, but those girls are a bit more militant about clutter and it's a bit intimidating over there.

I just posted on my blog about Magnaverde's rule to live by: Decorating for how you live, not how you want to live. How I live with 2 boys and one not so neatnik DH, is fairly messy. There are toys in my LR. There is sports gear in my LR. There are shoes in my LR. The list goes on and on.

There are actual homes in my house for this stuff, but items don't always make it to their homes. So my question is how do you all keep your LR(or whatever the front room in your house is) from looking like a disaster? We have a foyer and front hall closet, but jackets still find their way to the sofa arm. We have shoe racks, yet shoes can still be found on the LR area rug. And what do you do with your pocketbook? Mine more often than not gets dropped off in the LR.

Is it a matter of retraining? or containers? or resigning myself to living in a messy environment?

PS. I have no advertising on my blog, no click throughs, no viewer ads, no amazon(whatever it is that people do with amazon) so feel free to check out my blog or not. There are pics of the situation there, but I outlined my problem pretty well here without the pics.

Comments (28)