SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
renosarefun

How Can We Tell If It's The Granite We Picked.

renosarefun
9 years ago

We selected our Typhoon Bordeaux and placed the deposit. Counter top has been measured and we requested a layout with seam location and received the drawing below.

Question:

How can we verify that it's the granite we purchased as it doesn't seem to match or can someone else see the similarity?

I'm unable to load the second image as it states the file size is too large.

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 14:45

Comments (38)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Take a picture of your slabs when making the deposit.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply Trebruchet, the image in this thread is the slab we purchased so we did take a picture but it doesn't seem to match the layout they sent us. As mentioned I'm unable to download the layout onto this thread as it states the file size is too large.

• Related Discussions

How can you tell when it's time to pick gourds?

Q

Comments (1)
    When the stem is shrivelled and brittle, or when the first frost hits (usually late November or early December).
    ...See More

Should/Can we pick this Battle?

Q

Comments (5)
    In the photo, it doesn't look like the sink matches the cutout on the sides. I understand. I would not want that sink either. It obviously looks cheap. I'm not an expert but I think you can remove the undermount sink. Like I said before, you didn't specify what sink. Saying you wanted a "nice" job is subjective. The guy that sold you this might think this is nice. It wouldn't hurt to complain to them that you don't like the sink. Maybe they will do something for you or perhaps you may have to pay some additional amount for a better sink. Call them up and tell them you don't like it. Tell them that since they did a quality job before for you that you expected them to do a quality job again but this sink isn't a quality job. It doesn't hurt to try.
    ...See More

We're so excited..and we just can't hide it!

Q

Comments (40)
    Thank you everyone! We are really excited..this will be the last one here for a long time so hoping I get my grandaughter this time around. My youngest son is in no way ready to have kids! LOL....he still live at home! This will be it for us until he has some. A boy will fit in quite nicely in this family so it's ok too. But you all know I am wishing for that girl so keep thinking PINK for me! She goes to the doctor this afternoon and we will have a due date then. Thanks again!
    ...See More

We don't know how good we have it....

Q

Comments (6)
    I completely agree. This is why I can no longer watch those people on House Hunters who won't consider anything but granite and SS. They're buying a house. They apparently have jobs and credit. The houses have kitchens with appliances and bathrooms with flush toilets. They should thank their lucky stars. There are people in this country in much worse shape, much less the rest of the developing world. That is not to say that we shouldn't try to get value for our hard earned money or that we shouldn't try to have pretty, functional kitchens, but you're right, we need to keep it all in perspective.
    ...See More
  • breezygirl
    9 years ago

Exactly what Trebruchet said. I took lots of pics so I could drool over them while waiting for install day many months away, and also so that I could identify my stones later if necessary. I also took pics of the slab tags/labels with all the tracking numbers on them.

Going along with that, try to attend the templating session if at all possible. Not only can you check to make sure the stone is what you picked, but also because you can provide input on placement of templates. That is invaluable IMHO.

Don't accept the slabs if they really aren't yours!

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Can you place the photo in a photo hosting site (photobucket, flickr, etc)? You could post a link to the photo that way.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've reduced the file size considerably.

This is my problem, I can't seem to match up the our slab to the fabrication layout. Templating has already happened and the photo is the result.

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 9:27

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Slab we purchased.

• brightm
    9 years ago

Our slabs were numbered. When we got to template, I'll match numbers. I hadn't thought to print out our photos, but will now.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

Boy, it could just be the photos themselves, but the templated stone (this has already been cut, yes?) looks much darker. I don't see them matching either.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I rotated your slab pic 90 degrees left and could maybe see it, but I still don't think so.

I don't know if it will upload rotated or not. I put a red oval around a couple "black stripes". I've done the same on the template. If it is one of the ovals, it would explain why it looks so much darker. But it feels to me it could be a similar, bookmatched one, because it feels it's going 'the other direction'.

(note: I'm terrible at this stuff, but it's a good distraction from my own frustrations.)

• brightm
    9 years ago

Maybe?

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I wannt to thank everyone for there reply.

breezygirl,

No the slab has not been cut yet as we haven't given our approval yet.

cal_quail,

My wife and I have spent about an hour, at many different angles and can't see it. The wholesaler is also the fabricator so there was no possible mix up in transport as it was already on site. They also had the largest selection of Typhoon Bordeaux (5 different lots) which is one of the reasons it was easy to choose.

If anyone can see it or have any good suggestions so we don't offend the fabricator, we'd appreciate it.

• romy718
    9 years ago

I would just ask if you can look (in person) at the templated slab. That shouldn't offend the fabricator. You'll probably know right away but take more pics so you can compare.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

Do you like the stone in the template? I do. If in doubt, take a trip to the fabricator's and ask to see the stone. It hasn't been cut yet and they have lots. If there is a mistake, they can simply photograph the slab of your choice and overlay the same template over that.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718:

I believe the templating is done in CAD on a computer and the real template isn't done until we approve the drawing, therefore there is nothing to see in person.

suzannes:
    We dislike the lack of color in the drawing therefore I don't believe we would like any slab that is present this way.

Since we purchased the slab all the rest in that lot have been sold. We thought of going to see the wholesaler/fabricator in person but can't for another 5 days due to work demands. Being without a kitchen for yet another 5 days due to our delay in approval, doesn't make life without a kitchen any easier.

Thanks again everyone......it seems we're still in the same dilemma.

I did an auto correct so I hope it helps.

This post was edited by Renosarefun on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 11:36

• romy718
    9 years ago

I would then email & ask if this CAD drawing is a picture of your actual slab as it doesn't seem to match up with your slab photo.
    Does the fabricator give you the option of being there for templating? Very worthwhile for the reasons Breezygirl stated. It's also an opportunity to ask questions before the stone is cut. If you have the option to go & don't, and there are problems on install day, you'll be kicking yourself.
    Edit: a few posts down, "Wrong Granite Slab". Not saying this is your situation regarding the wrong slab, but Tinker explains why she regrets not being there for the templating.

This post was edited by romy718 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 12:28

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

That slab looks fine. I wouldn't worry about it.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

Rotate your slab 180ð and the template to the left 90ð. It's hard to tell because one is straight on, and the other is at such an extreme angle. But, that looks like a match to me.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

It certainly isn't obvious if it is the same stone. Doesn't seem to be. You need to go down and look at the stone they are in process of templating. Besides, even if it is the same one, If you don't like your stone in counter form (people say they look quite different), you need to find another one. You could just tell them that, and are they sure the photo they are working with is the correct one because if it is you will have to find another one.

This post was edited by snookums2 on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 12:42

• Texas_Gem
    9 years ago

The two areas cal_quail circled on your slab look like the "end" of that run of counter. Then there is the big dark vein which was mostly cut off and it runs "through" your kitchen.

It does look like the same slab to me. It just looks like the image is darker for the CAD template.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

This is a photo of my TB in bright sunlight showing the templates my husband and I approved on site for one of the two slabs we purchased. It was a condition of our contract that we be there to participate in the templating and to approve the seam.

I will say that once the granite was installed in your kitchen and we viewed it lying down, it appears much lighter (not darker). It may be that the photos you are reviewing were just taken in very poor lighting.

The inconvenience and memory of those 5 extra days without your kitchen now will fade very quickly. Can't stress enough to go there in person and be sure of what you are getting. Including that seam placement which may be unavoidable with the amount of product you gave to work with.

• heidihausfrau
    9 years ago

I can't tell if it is your slab or not. But to me, all the pretty, "flowy" stuff in the center is cut off. That is the part that I like best. But that is just me.....

• weissman
    9 years ago

Definitely go look at the stone in person for two reasons - you can make sure it's the same stone and you can also work with them to lay out the template on the stone exactly as you want it to include the areas of most interest. You shouldn't rely on the CAD drawings. Don't even think about "offending" the fabricator - you're paying a lot of money and you want it done right. Look at the number of posts on this forum about people who regret the fact that they hadn't been directly involved in laying out the template on the slab.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by jerzeegirl on Tue, Jul 8, 14 at 18:16

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

It looks the same to me. Your first photograph is going in a different direction from the template photograph so it's hard to tell. There is a unique marking that I can see in both pictures.

That being said, when I bought my typhoon bordeaux there were sets of slabs that were mirror imaged, so if someone wanted to bookend the granite they could do it. Maybe you got the other side of the bookend.

• Mags438
    9 years ago

Lost post. Our countertops were done with CAD too so we also didn't have oppty to see firsthand as in some posted pics. What fabricators did was email me the templated photos, showing the template lines on the full slabs. I printed them out, and did a 'cut and paste' and created something similar to what they sent you. I was able to see/ID my full slabs in pic and where exactly on each slab, they were going to cut. Maybe your fabricator can email you the full slab pics with template shown on slab. HTH

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

romy718;

We've decided to meet up with them at the end of today to answer all questions, but we don't have the time to be there for templating.

Trebruchet;

I appreciate your support, while at a cost of $4500.00 we're looking for more of a wow factor. Also after spending several months and view many thousand different slabs, we don't want to brush this off.

live_wire_oak;

Thanks for taking the time to "see the match", although we still don't see it.

snookums2;

We may not like the way the stone is cut since the center part which is what we like the most, seems to be omitted from our layout.

Texas_Gem:

The dark vein that is cut out is what we liked the most so we may have to find another solution if in fact this is the slab we choose.

PhoneLady;

Wow, I love your slab, I would pick that over what we choose and after seeing over a dozen Typhoon Bordeaux, nothing came close to yours. We've decided that the 5 days, if not more shouldn't be a consideration considering the time and effort to make this kitchen come together. I guess I'm saying that we agree.

heidihausfrau:

The part in the center is what we wanted and I agree, it seems to be missing.

weissman;

We're going tonight, I'll post tomorrow re the outcome.

jerzeegirl;

You seem to have a better eye then me as I still can't see it.

Mags438;

We will ask if they can show us a better photo tonight.

Thanks everyone, although tiresome, we can't give up and just accept it in the sake of time and effort.

• Vertise
    9 years ago

On the slab, there's a dark streak running from about 10:00 on the left downwards to 4:00 on the right. Around the center of this there are a string of distinctive light blob shapes. Can someone who is able to see the original slab on the template point out where that string of light blobs is?

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We went to the wholesaler/fabricator yesterday evening and viewed the detail drawing that shows the layout of the three pieces and how it will be cut. My wife and I were surprised at how well they were able to make the grain in the slab flow but they way they were able to utilized the slab with little wastage.

In conclusion, it was the slab that we picked and she commented on how they don't normally give the client "that" drawing. She also stated most clients don't even request the drawing that I posted in this thread since it delays the job a day or two and most clients want the granite installed as soon as possible.

I'm not sorry we lost a couple days in an attempt to clarify we got the part of the granite that we hopped for.

Thanks everyone for the help and comments and if anyone wants, I'll post a photo of the finished kitchen when I complete it.

They asked that I not install the upper cabinets until the granite is installed so I'll need a couple more weeks to complete as I haven't made the doors yet.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

"......she commented on how they don't normally give the client "that" drawing. She also stated most clients don't even request the drawing that I posted in this thread since it delays the job a day or two and most clients want the granite installed as soon as possible."

I guess most of her clients don't frequent this forum! :)

There are enough things to stress over, so glad this is no longer one of them.
    Looking forward to the big reveal.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply PhoneLady;

Out of maybe over a dozen Typhoon Bordeaux's we looked at, I don't believe I have ever seen one that looks as nice as yours. I would honestly say that I would have picked yours over the one we went with if we had come across one as gorgeous as yours.

I'm not sure what species or color of cabinets you went with but.I would sure like to see a photo of your back splash one day. We went with Cherry wood with a Cherry stain and haven't selected out back splash yet.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Thank you for your kind words. The slab I posted in full sunlight doesn't begin to do it justice. I did not want to hijack your post with details of our own TB quest, but since you asked......

We originally saw 2 slabs of 2cm TB with the distinct gold veins and fell in love. All set to pull the trigger when we realized the slabs were not long enough to accommodate the 45 degree seam we wanted in the corner. Many more trips to stone yards to try to find oversized slabs with the same look. Finally fabricator located two 3cm slabs via online inventory at a stone yard we had already visited. The slabs were stacked behind something else and we had never seen them. We were not optimistic when we went to see them, but ecstatic when we got a good look.

We reused our existing cabinets. I guess they are some version of oak (bordering on hickory?). I see lots of people here painting over them but we like them and they tie into the rest of our open concept home.

This forum has been a godsend! After dragging home countless bs samples, "sandesurf'" to the rescue. She also has TB and possibly cabinet finish more like yours? She posted the picture attached of her bs. Crema Marfil. 2x4 beveled marble. Through Oracle Tiles Amazon storefront, I ordered a large sample for under $5. Hubby and I agreed and ordered for our bs. It just arrived yesterday and I am getting quotes for install. I'll post my own pic when completed. Very excited to have it wrapped up.

Good luck to you! I predict once it's installed you will love your own TB. Every day since the install, I marvel anew how much I love it's movement and ease of cleaning.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

Five more days or more is nothing in the scheme of things if you will question or dislike the stone you get. What if it's not and you have to pick a new slab or wait to find one?

Unfortunately you can't both be done on schedule and get what you want. Anybody I know who settled only because they were impatient to be done has regretted it.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PhoneLady;

Thanks for the photo of your kitchen, I really like the TB and it appears you already have bs along the rear wall.

If I understand correctly you ordered the same bs (Crema Marfil. 2x4 beveled marble) as sandesurf installed?

I don't know how to do a search of sandesurf's kitchen reveal any idea how to find it?

ineffablespace:

And we agree, which is why we decided to go see the slab in person along with the detailed drawing. I guess frustration set in as we were starting to see a light at the end of the tunnel only to have yet another delay.

It's somewhat different (easier) when you're waiting on contractors to finish your kitchen, but when you're doing it all yourself, you sort of want to get it done since the process has been much longer when you're working by yourself for the most part. I'm at around 550 hrs and I know there is another 100 more to go.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Renosarefun.........The picture I posted is not a picture of my kitchen. It's a picture of sandesurf's kitchen with the Crema Marfil I stalked. I ordered the same tile that is in her picture. This is a picture of the sample against part of my TB.

I originally wanted a creamy subway tile but hubby thought too boring. This was something we could both agree on. It has enough interest in the tile without fighting with all that's going on in the granite.

• PhoneLady
    9 years ago

Laughing at the auto correct above. Although I did "stalk" around on this site to find bs tile, I actually meant to say "installed"!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

"They asked that I not install the upper cabinets until the granite is installed."

Unless your stone is 18" thick, that is an odd request.

• renosarefun
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PhoneLady

Thanks for the photo, my wife came across that tile at Home Depot and commented at how she liked it. I wasn't sure about the beveled edges but it may grow on me.

Trebruchet:

I agree, as they also asked that I don't install the fridge side panel. If I didn't comply and they scratched said panels, they could say........" we asked that they not be installed".

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

It's really heavy and it's really big and they just want as much maneuvering space as possible.