SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dad4diy

Help plan this space! Need help with initial layout. (long)

dad4diy
12 years ago

We are about to embark on a kitchen remodel and need a few opinions before we get off track. We are a family of four (for now) and my wife cooks many gourmet meals. We definitely want to get this right because we plan on being here for a long time. We currently don't have a lot of cabinets because our decent-sized room (14' by 21') does not give us a lot of flexibility. Note the number of doorways and windows.

{{gwi:1923792}}

Background info:

� We are planning on lightening up the space with the classic off-white inset cabinet look. Cabinet uppers will be run to the ceiling with crown. An apron front sink and granite/marble will be added. The faux wooden beams on the ceiling will be taken down.

� We are planning on keeping the Jenn-Air range in the corner for venting and gas supply ease. Also, as you can see below, there aren't a lot of options for moving it.

� We are increasing the current fridge space from 30" to 36" (as indicated on the sketch). We will also open up the solid area above the fridge and place a regular cabinet above it.

� We would like the DW to remain to the right of the main sink and move the trash pullouts to the left of the main sink.

� My wife really wants to keep the planning desk in the current location.

� ALL of our food storage is in the large double-door pantry. We are planning on leaving the pantry alone and painting the 6-panel doors to match the rest of the house.

� We would like to add a single wall oven, a prep sink, and possibly a set of refrigerator drawers.

{{gwi:1923793}}

{{gwi:1923794}}

{{gwi:1923795}}

Questions:

1. The island seems to be the key to adding what we want. The current island is 2' by 4' with a 10" granite overhang. How much bigger can we go? If we have an eat-in kitchen, is seating at the island necessary? If we scrapped seating at the island, would you build an island that is two cabinets deep?

2. Where can we put the single wall oven? In the larger island?

3. Where in a larger island would you put the prep sink?

4. Our current fridge is framed in by regular walls/drywall. It is almost standard depth in size. We are expanding that opening to make room for a 36" fridge. Is a counter-depth fridge necessary in our layout or can we frame in a standard-depth fridge? We feel we would need a set of refrigerator drawers( in the island?) to make up for the shallow counter-depth fridge.

5. We currently have a 36" sink base with a 36" sink. Would you reduce the size of the sink and base to add a few inches to lower cabinets?

6. Our current cabinet layout has angled upper cabinets adjacent to the wooden range hood. Would you copy this design or stick with regular cabinets and allow the tile/wall paint color to flank the sides of the new wooden hood?

I realize this is a lot of information. I hope we aren't trying to add too many things given our space. Thanks to anyone who can lend a hand. This is the first and maybe the last kitchen we will ever do and we are trying to accomplish it with a medium-sized budget.

Comments (5)