SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Initial impressions of Floorplan - Need inspiration with layout

jenswrens
11 years ago

I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on this first floor plan from my new architect. (Sorry for the poor quality photo. I just snapped it with my phone from the sketches - I didn't try to clean it up yet, but I will if it helps.)

As many of you know, we've started over (after 2 years of dithering around).

We have definite site restrictions due to wetlands issues and septic placement, and have to stay within a certain sq footage (although that hasn't been specifically determined yet). We have nice views on all sides and no near neighbors (except across the road). The road is to the right (northwest) of the photo, but the driveway is a long approach around a hill, so the front door/courtyard is at the bottom (east) of the sketch.

There are things about this layout that I'm really not liking, and some things that I do like. I want to see if others have similar thoughts, without me stating what mine are yet. This layout blends well with the gently sloping site (slopes to the south/southeast), and looks nice and expansive from the approach.

There will be a 2-car basement garage underneath the 24x24 family room. (The basement garage works for us and for the lot restrictions. I am NOT willing to waste my precious limited footprint or views on a ground-level attached garage - so that's not an option, and not part of my question here.)

For now, I'd like to get some initial impressions from folks about the general layout. Like it? Hate it? Why? What would you change?

We've been bothered by this for over a week and really need to move forward, so I'm desperate from some outside opinions. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Someday House

Comments (14)