SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nhb22

Forum not as active? Answer the Poll, please!

nhb22
14 years ago

I have not been as active with posting because of my daughters wedding (thank goodness that is over! lol) and had been away for about a month. Once back, I have noticed that the postings have slowed down considerably. Any opinions? Does it have to do with the economy?

I would also like to do a poll of sorts (wish this website had that capability)to see how old current members/posters are, what gender, and how long you have been active here and what brought you here.

I'll start first.

I am a 52 year old female, and I started posting here exactly 3 years ago (2006) when I asked opinions about a problem with my wood blinds. The title was something like "The $4,000 Blind Mistake."

Your turn! Let's see how many of us are here today. :)

Comments (151)

• rjinga
    14 years ago

100 (101 with mine) in ONE day, that's not so inactive :)

I'm relatively new to this forum, but have been on GW for a long time. I really started frequenting the garden forums when I first moved to GA in 04. Then I wanted a Greenhouse, so I lurked there (greenhouse and garden structures) for ever, taking in all the info I could find. then back and forth between different gardening forums.

And then recently here (via the antiques forum, where I got pummeled for a post on how to repair a damaged "old" framed picture. Since I was decorating a guest room I came here to get support/feedback on what I had done with the room.

I am 44 Female, have always loved decorating even though I'm a novice at it compared to many here. I still like creating things. There are so many helpful and knowledgeable people here that it's really been a joy to learn from you all and I throw out my opinion whenever I can. I dont know if it helps or not but heck why not.

• igloochic
    14 years ago

rjinga, everyone gets pummled in that forum. It's one of the meanest on the net I think so don't feel too bad. I did love what you did with those prints/paintings (Can't remember but it was a blue boy and a girl and you were beat to death for not knowing their name and not knowing they weren't worth millions, despite the fact that you didn't ask either question). You should see what was said to me for asking an antiquing question! I was called a bad mother, bad decorator, blah blah I wish it were a nicer forum, I love antiques, both "special" and just beloved pieces. Oh well I'm glad you found a friendlier world.

I joined ummm gad I'd have to click on my name LOL

I'm 46 female and actually DH found the forum (appliances) while we were looking at unique ranges. We found a Lacanche through GW and would never have known about it without the forum. Then on to kitchens for a few years since ours took three years to do, and then decorating as our home got finished up. I probably posted less for a while because I was kind of done here on this house, but now that I have a new one to work on it will be fun to participate again.

I also post so that I can keep track of themommy1 because she's a crazy old bat....ok actually she's MYmommy1 :) And she's a hoot.

• Related Discussions

New to forum - Need advice on offer please

Q

Comments (24)
    Ah! I'm so glad to read that others cut their losses and did teardowns. When we bought the old ranch we planned to remodel we did so primarily because we wanted to live in this particular neighborhood, on this particular street. (We knew we liked it; later discovered that realtors advertise homes here "on coveted, 'XYZ' Road".) As we talked to GCs, consensus was that remodeling would be an open-end cost. Nobody knows for sure what lies beneath or behind existing walls, and you have to go slowly and carefully. It can be more costly than new construction, and you don't end up with an all-new house. With a teardown, the bulldozer takes it all down in half a day. Our new next-door neighbor, an appraiser, provided the clincher: tear down for your own comfort and for future value! (He was right, but he also had a vested interest. He sold his lot and old ranch for a teardown two years after we bought -- for 150% of what we paid.) marys1000 -- We did save the basement and a chimney. As far as our city was concerned, this was an 'extensive remodel', not an official teardown. Today I think they'd skip that and call it what it is: a teardown. They've instituted hefty teardown permits which we escaped. This has worked out so well for us. We love our tight, new house with large rooms, wide doorways, 9-foot ceilings, new mechanicals -- plus our location and mature landscaping. The few remaining old ranches that have sold for teardowns have brought much more than we paid. Only downside is that our taxes rise as the big, new homes rise. We wanted and built 'small', but GCs want to maximize profits, so build 'big' on these acre-plus lots 3 minutes from the center of town. Fortunately the city has tight limits on just how big.
    ...See More

Forum not as active? Answer the Poll, please! Part Deux

Q

Comments (55)
    flyleft, send me an email and I'll give you the whole ugly scoop - I don't want to totally derail this thread into something that I could easily see devolving into a political argument. oakleyok says: "I think we all would like a pat on the back every now and then. [...] It hurts when we do a topic asking a simple question or just to show something off, and all we get is criticism." So SAY what you want and don't want. Say something like "Hey, I finally finished such-and-such, and I wanted some pats on the back from my buddies because I worked really hard and my family just doesn't 'get it' how much this project meant to me. I'm not looking for critiques because I like it the way it is, I just want to share what I did." If you want people to critique something but you're feeling extra thin-skinned (not the best time to post, however), tell people to go easy on you. If you only want them to consider one thing, like a lamp, and not pay attention to the rug or the curtains, say so! "I do get my feelings hurt when I do a topic and the replies have nothing to do with what I ask." I'm sure you'll probably take this as "criticism", but you do need to become better acquainted with the concept of "topic drift". Side discussions do occur, especially in long threads, when person A finds something in a post by person B that s/he wants to address even though it isn't what the OP has asked, but it doesn't quite merit starting an entire new thread. And sometimes the whole thread does drift off into an unexpected direction and take on a life of its own... when that happens you either put on the big girl panties and go with it (because frequently when this happens it can be a LOT of fun) or you shrug and abandon the thread as a lost cause, but it's gotta sink in better that it is NOT about YOU personally when every single post in a thread you start isn't about you and your question from beginning to end. It's just the way forums work.
    ...See More

Six Yr Old Thread...Blast From the Past

Q

Comments (0)
    See how many names you remember (or maybe you participated in this thread) :) I found it when doing a search on my user name to see how far back the thread went. This was about how people didn't seem to post as often as they used to. http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2674282/forum-not-as-active-answer-the-poll-please?n=151
    ...See More

How active is this forum?

Q

Comments (13)
    The Tropicalesque Forum has never been very active. Like most forums, it is most active in spring and early summer. I belong to garden.org as well as some other sites. Some on a different sign on name. Hopefully the aroid and tropical forums will become more active again. There seems to be a revival of sorts, of people growing houseplants, especially philodendrons, monstera, and alocasia etc. People seem to be willing to pay insane prices for Pink Princess Philo and variegated Monstera now on ebay and other places. Before the economy collapse etc. a lot of plants were selling on ebay for big $$$ but then it stopped for awhile. Now I am seeing the higher prices again. I noticed some newer and even (older harder to find) colocasia and alocasias on the agristarts tissue culture type sites so they will probably trickle down and show up this spring with cheaper/more reasonably priced ebay sellers like wellspring etc. if one is good at starting smaller plants.
    ...See More
  • sheesh
    14 years ago

I'm 62. My daughter found GW, so I started looking around in the sewing and cooking forums before I came here.

I lurk a lot here. I love the pics and the photoshops, but, honestly, I can't understand the questions about specific shades of color! Seems to me that color in a room is highly subjective and dependent upon the actual room; the natural lighting as well as the electric, the things in the room, the mood you're trying to achieve all make asking questions about a color chip impossible to answer! At least, in my opinion.

About snarkiness: It seems to me that there is a big group of friends here; some people seem welcoming, while others seem very cliqueish. Some posters get ignored while others get tons of responses to similar questions.

The conversations side drives me crazy sometimes. People post opinions allegedly to inform people of some perceived danger (or something like that) and then get highly offended when someone (sometimes me) posts facts to refute the OP. People are entitled to their opinions, of course, but when they post opinions as facts, well, it ain't right, I tell ya! It just ain't right!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

redbazel, how sweet of you to say that :) You have no idea how much it means.

OMGosh, I forgot about the lashing I got on the Bird Watching forum (ok, maybe not the best forum to ask) when I asked what was the best way to deter swallows from building their nasty, sloppy nests on my porch. WOW! I thought *I* made the payments on this house, not those birds! You would have thought I was wanting to rid the universe of them. Uh, no, just would like to keep them off my front porch for goodness sakes! According to that forum, I should feel honored to have them pooping on my newly renovated porch...srsly :o I'm SO insensitive (g)

Monica

• Nancy Adamopoulos
    14 years ago

I'm 35. Started out a few years ago in the Appliances forum while researching DWs. Moved on to Kitchens and Building a House forum 2.5 years ago while we were building our new house. Came over to the decorating forum 1.5 years ago with an empty house needing much advice. I usually lurk, but have posted (too many) questions about my family room which is finally almost finished. Dh doesn't want any paint on our walls, so unfortunately I'm not much help on those painting postings. I appreciate all the help I've gotten so far...

• deborahnj
    14 years ago

I'm 49 and can say that for a few more days at least! I have been a member since 2005 and found the forum while researching furniture information while working on my house in NJ at the time. I am mostly a lurker but I read this board religiously every day. This is the first place I come to in the morning and the last place I check before going to bed at night. I will never forget my first post and how scared I was to "show" a room on this forum. LOL. I caught the tail end of Spike and paid membership.

I ebb and flow on posting but I really got my decorating mojo and confidence from this board. I've learned that I know way more than I thought I did and of course have gained the courage to post when I feel the need and most importantly when I think I have something of value to contribute. I've seen members come and go, witnessed this board's ups and downs but it is now part of my family. I talk about you guys like I know you and my DH has periods of "there she goes again talking about people and a board as if you all live next door!"

I've learned this board in many ways is just like a family. There are the introverts, extroverts, loudmouths who know it all and the shy and timid who step gingerly into the mix. I don't take things so seriously most of the time but if I feel the need to speak on something I believe in strongly, I will. In the end, just like family, most really do care and only want whats best and there is way more positivity than negativity.

• fnmroberts
    14 years ago

Lurk often, comment occassionally and post infrequently. Both early 60's and DIY'ers. Really only try to comment when I believe an experience of ours might assist another.
    DH actually registered us more than 5 years ago while he was finishing our basement. We installed a kitchen there and he found that forum helpful, especially because there was an active Ikea group then and we installed their cabinets. Since have migrated here and frequented the bathroom, paint and porches forums from time-to-time as well.

I'm a person who decorates and designs around what I have, adding accents and rearranging when I find something I like. Many of you here have offered compliments and suggestions all of which are appreciated. Only once has someone offered me a harsh response but believe it or not, there was some worthwhile observation contained therein. What I'm suggesting to any that may have been "bruised" is that you take such comments in stride, consider the "courage of anonymity" some may hide behind and continue your course. Many of the posters above are familiar names to me and I have come to know you as friends I just haven't met in person.

• hoyamom
    14 years ago

Oops, I forgot to confess my age - 54 born in double nickels. Next year will be a big one for me - 55!

• pattiem93
    14 years ago

50 year old (as of a few weeks ago) female, used to be much more active but was stopped short by a very unexpected heart attack/stroke. Slowly coming back but I lurk frequently
    We moved to NC from NY 4 years ago and still making the transition from Italian New Yorker to "yankee" Southern lady. My 6 kids find it quite amusing :)
    I have been a decorator/stager for many years but in our own home my style tends to differ from most. We are DIYers, LOVE old things, I mix in the modern, and love warm colors though I am lately finding myself drawn to warm whites.
    It's a shame if anyone feels excluded or offended. We all really need to remember there's a person at the other side of these posts

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I was a lurker for over a year before joining in 2002.
    I am much more confident with my style now and occasionally post on conversations. But as our house, built in 2000 is now needing updating, I have been back to the discussions side more.
    I'm 45 and am deeply interested in everything about the home: gardening, cooking, decorating, cleaning, laundry, entertaining....

• kaelkriver
    14 years ago

I think I officially joined in 07, but read/lurked for much longer. I'm a 57 year old female, and really appreciate many of the forums on GW. I don't post too often, especially in the decorating forum because I honestly don't know what I like, how could I advise others. The one thing I've noticed on most of the sites I vist is that the participants are extremely generous with their time and advice.

I want to say thanks for all who particpate. Oh, and I do this at work, most times. Please don't tell.

Kathy

• Janice5
    14 years ago

I can't even remember how long I lurked before I became a member. I found the perennials forum before I came here. I seldom post but feel like I know many of you.

• hhireno
    14 years ago

Last week, based on a few posts, I was thinking "uh-oh, looks like we're heading towards one of those blow-out threads", but luckily this one came along and cleared the air. It helps to be reminded about who we are and why we're here. We're shooting the breeze, trading info and, if we're lucky, improving the appearance of our little slice of the world.

A few months ago there was a post asking for help on fixing up an in-house hair salon. I thought that was such an interesting thread - and I don't have, nor will I ever have, a hair salon. I was fascinated by the many interesting ideas and perspectives brought to the project. A suggestion would be made from a purely decorative point of view and she would counter it with the real world need of a beauty salon. It was exactly why I enjoy this forum - the give and take, the suggestions, the solutions.

Speaking of which, did we ever see the finished salon?

• kgwlisa
    14 years ago

I joined in 2003 when I was house hunting and started posting on the buying and selling forums. Buying our house was a hellish experience with a nutball seller and the folks over there kept me sane. Since then I have come and gone depending on what I'm doing in my house and I have issues getting things done. The latest project is our bathroom, which we gutted back the weekend after thanksgiving 2007. We need to get it done and close out our permit before the 2 year mark though. We are also in the middle of remodeling our upstairs hallway including replacing the carpet and adding a runner on the stairs which was a very messy job due to skim coating the cottage cheese ceiling and many wall repairs to be done.

I'm 35 and just had my first child 17 months ago (today to the day actually) so that has put a crimp in my GW time not to mention my time, energy and abilities to DIY a lot of things I had wanted to - but luckily we have a great carpenter/jack of all trades who is reasonably priced and who has been helping us get some of this stuff done.

• deniseandspike
    14 years ago

My page shows I joined in 2003 but I think I was here long before that. I'm 42. I started on the kitchen forum but unfortunately never got around to redoing my kitchen at the old house.

I haven't posted much lately because we just haven't had the money to start on major renovations at the new place and there is a limited amount of decorating I can do until we get it fixed up.

I love reading the advice given though--people are so knowledgable and so willing to share. Between this forum and others that I frequent, I've met some really wonderful people both in person and online that I'm grateful to call "friends."

De

• awm03
    14 years ago

It's so nice to meet the lurkers and the infrequent posters. Hope this thread induces you to chime in more :)

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

Monicakm, I had a client with MS who had to stop her self-employed job since her cognitive ability was declining and I felt so bad for her with the break-up of her 10 year relationship with her boyfriend. I know a few others with MS and I am sorry you are going through this but at least you have a loving husband and all of us here to understand and care. I love reading your caring and very well written posts that enlighten me in so many ways and really help me in my choosing appliances and decorating.

I love all of the GW forums that I have posted on and feel there are more nice people than those that are not.

I am age 47 years and found this forum when selecting a washer and dryer in 2005 and then I found this forum again when I was choosing a paint color for the first time at the end of year 2006. Before looking for paint help, I had no idea the laundry forum was apart of a network of many forums. I then found the furniture forum and realized how many forums there were when I was searching for bedroom furniture. I then found the appliance and kitchen forum when I was searching for a refrigerator. I enjoy reading the posts, seeing the pictures, learning so much, giving whatever input or help I can and meeting new friends.

• User
    14 years ago

I see I didn't really answer all the questions.
    I found the kitchen forum when I was searching for countertops. I didn't lurk very long before I was posting. DH and I built our house almost 2 years ago and I'm still trying to get things in order. Thanks to this place I can look back at the beginning photos and see a major difference. I'm still discovering my likes and dislikes. I've learned a lot here and continue to be amazed by the talent and creative ideas. Overall the good here out weighs the few bad.

And Ttodd - Don't you dare stop posting! I love looking at photos of your beautiful home and enjoy your threads. I'm waiting to see what you do with those iron pieces. :)

• zipdee
    14 years ago

Well, I'm late to the party! This has been a fun post to read. :)

I'm 39, soon to be 40 year old female. I lurked for a while here and over on the kitchen forum before jumping in one day a couple of years ago to ask some questions about the girls room we were doing upstairs. I've been here pestering you all on my decorating issues ever since.

I kind of post and participate here in jumps and starts, kind of like how I decorate. ;) I have three school age daughters and all their activities seem to wrap up a lot of my time, this year has been super busy so far. When I get a few seconds I love to log on, read and see what you all have been up to though. :)

• gracie-2006
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone! I have been here since 2006 when we started our big remodel on our 1990 hoouse. I think I found it when I googled a question we had on selecting new faucets- it directed me to the same question someone else had as well. Hence- I have been here ever since and I just love it. I have used the garden forum b/c I have no gardening skills and they have been so helpful. I enjoy the Pet forum for all of their knowledge. My home is the decorating forum which I LOVE b/c I love to decorate. My big setback is I still do not have luck posting pictures. I need help! I often feel like we are all a big family. We can write about anything. Many or our trials and tribulations are expressed. Most members seem very big hearted and caring!

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Monablair I would never guess you at 67 you have a very youthful look.

Patricia does this mean I am hopeless? (LOL) How are you Patricia?
    NewDawn, you keep us going. You are a real prize in a room full of us hopefuls.

....Jane

• paint_chips
    14 years ago

Has anyone been cooking a lot? Geez, my husband's schedule slows down and mine speeds up. I feed him in the morning and a couple hours later he is *starving* again. :OP Anyway, that is where I have been lately, somewhere between the stove and complete jealousy that men can eat everything!

The home building forum was my first haunt when I on a wild search for a houseplan. I had to have a window in every bathroom. Questions about window treatments to follow. :O)

• yborgal
    14 years ago

newdawn1895, whether you like it or not, you have a NEW BEST FRIEND, ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the nice words; you made my day. And I really needed a boost right now.

Mona

• burnGirl
    14 years ago

Hi all,

I'm 36yr old female. I guess I joined sometime early this year. Had too much going on in life up until now(paying for college and cars, buying some investment property and 2 very young kids). finallly I started to think about decorating my house. I think decarating is an art and for any kind of art your mind and heart needs to be in a peaeful state.

Vip

• peoniesandposies
    14 years ago

I'm one of the lurkers. Unfortunately I seem to be decorating impaired, but I love all your postings especially the photos. So Thanks to you all !!!!

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

newhomebuilder, I'm so sorry about your dad. I've had that same call before....what is it with dads and ladders!? At 75 he still thinks he's 35 :o It's nice that you can go home and help them :)
    Monica

• tomorrowisanotherday
    14 years ago

I'm a 42yr old female living in Georgia. I've only been on this forum for 2 months but have been enjoying myself greatly :) I think I found it as the result of googling a paint color and I stumbled upon the gallery. I've always loved decorating my house and often find myself helping friends work on their houses. Without any formal training, I may not be an expert, but I know a good thing when I see it. But that's just it...I have to SEE it! Soooo...the gallery is wonderful, and the lively discussions (esp. with photos) are helpful too. Also, I like to work with the input of others...so thank you Garden Web!

I just took a little "walk down memory lane" by watching some old home video we took in our former house. It was FUN to revisit the old place--and to see its transformation over the 10 years we lived there. By the last Christmas, I had that place lookin' great! (So, of course, it was time to sell, LOL!) Now, we've been in this house 5 years and I realize how much I need to get down to brass tacks and just GET IT DONE! I'd like to have this place be nice and cozy long before we plan to sell it!

FWIW, I'd love to see some avitars and emoticons as someone upthread suggested. I have a hard time keeping who's who straight! And emoticons can go a loooong way to avoiding some unintentional hurt feelings.

• purrus
    14 years ago

I'm 31, been lurking here for several years, but I think only joined this year when we were hunting for our new house. We were considering buying a place with a major basement leak (it was concealed from us by the seller and his agent until we were signing the final purchase agreement!). I came to the real estate forum first for advice and was very glad I did! Now we're trying to fix up the old place we bought, so I'm on the home decoration forum far more often.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

Just checked back in and saw there are 127 responses. And that helps to validate what I've always thought--that there are a hundred times as many readers as posters. I got my Picturetrail hits page in email today and the 4 pictures they include in the email had almost 400 views each. At least two of those shots are Pure Yawners...nothing pretty, just something I put in a thread in answer to a question someone had. So that shows there are so many here that are too busy to post but enjoy a few minutes of reading.

I was also surprised to read on this thread that so many are over 40! But it makes sense really. In your twenties and thirties there are so many things involving your children that taking time to post on a decorating forum would be hard. I know I'm just as interested in decorating now as I was at 32 when I had my last child, but NOW I'm not distracted by homework/potty-training/nosebleeds/etc!

This is such a wonderful board and resource.......really, it is. And the people that post and lurk and read and ramble........are the thing that make it wonderful.

Red

• teacats
    14 years ago

Let's see:

I'm female; 51 years old; cranky, nosy and totally obsessed with decor, decorating, decor magazines and books and blogs.

Been around this forum (and the block LOL!) for a few years now. Simply love being here. Love seeing everyone's home and hearth. The sheer diversity of styles is wonderful! Love hearing about triumphs -- and even the trials of decorating! Love to help. And I'm utterly nosy. LOL! If a posting or issue gets too "hot" or "cranky" -- I slide back under my rock, dragging my decor magazines and a pitcher of martinis.

I'm a collector of stuff. Things. Items. Nick-nacks. Bric-a-brac. Junk. I love ALL kinds of stores -- online and in real life. I love antique shops, malls and fairs. I have been known to dance in the aisles when I find JUST the RIGHT thing that makes my heart sing! And I always love a bargain -- no matter where it comes from! ((my living room lamps came from Big Lots -- and on sale too!))

Yep. The forum is quiet right now. I ALWAYS hope that some of our lurkers might post a few photos or ask a few questions .....

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• 3bebe
    14 years ago

Hi, I am a female, just turned 38, stay at home mom of 3 children. I am mainly a lurker, but registered 3 years ago when I was looking for a good leather sofa (Hancock and Moore) and new refrigerator. I mostly lurk on Home Decorating and Kitchens now. I am constantly updating my home and get many ideas from everyone, but am too scared to post a photo for advice! I really enjoy reading posts and seeing everyone's photos!

Thanks,
    Emily

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

I think it was luckygal who mentioned being the oldest at a mere 62, but i'm still a 'youngster' at 67! I joined in '05, and don't remember what brought me here, but I think it was a member from another forum...go figure.
    Forums i've been on:
    Holidays~check it out!!
    Home Decorating(of course!)conversation side, also.
    Buying and Selling a Home
    Building a Home
    Kitchens
    Plumbing
    Flooring
    Lighting
    Gardening(Texas)
    and most recently...
    Antiques and Collectibles.

Every single one has given me an eye-opening experience where I came away learning something.

As for the 'nasties and meanies' that can be found on just about all forums, just ignore 'em, and they'll go away! ;o)

• lavender_lass
    14 years ago

Jan- Great visual for me...dragging your decor books and pitcher of martinis back under your rock...LOL!

I've been known to dance in the aisles too when I find a great deal :)

• ctlane
    14 years ago

Hi, I'm female, 44, and love this place. I also check kitchens, building a home and bathrooms forums just because I find them so interesting. Usually when I read a thread someone has already given my answer so I don't post a lot. I love a great sense of humor and usually lol when reading here. It is nice to find people who share the same interests in decorating.

• folkvictorian
    14 years ago

Another 44-year-old female, I stumbled on Gardenweb years ago when Googling a health question. I registered in 2003 when selling a home and had to re-register when we moved and our email changed, so I probably show as being around since 2006 or so. I'm a mom, so all of my lurking and typing is done at home.

When I first read your question, Newhomebuilder, I thought that the forum is currently loaded with "Do you like such-and-so paint color?" type questions that bore me to tears. But I clicked on other pages at the bottom of the forum and it seems like there are always a few of those questions around.

There have been a few instances lately where someone asks a simple question and is then blindsided by answers; some of them not-so-nice and some of them downright harsh and cruel. That type of situation discourages me from wanting to post questions and makes me want to crawl under a rock with Teacat's decor mags and pitcher of martinis.

I still come back though, and am continually amazed by all of your gorgeous homes. I've learned a lot and I think my house reflects a little of my new appreciation for detail and style. Some day I might even be brave enough to disclose photos of our kitchen face lift (still in progress) that contains nary an inch of granite nor a smidgen of stainless steel.

Newhome, I sure hope that by the time you read all of these replies that your dad is doing well. Broken ribs sound like real trouble. Long-distance hugs to you.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

New Dawn, you are so funny. You know it means we are all hopeful here to find answers to our decorating dilemmas or find someone who loves what we do and you are a real prize because you are so great to give everyone good advice and yet make us feel that we have done something right. You really make everyone feel good about himself/herself. I love you for that. I am hopeful that one day I can be as nice as you. See, it's all good.

NHB, I always enjoy your home pictures and MonaBlair's and everybody's.

• sis3
    14 years ago

As usual I am late to the party! I am a female, pushing 56 years old who joined GW in 2006 when we began the major rebuild of our house. I think I began on Remodeling, then progressed to Building a New Home, Kitchens, Pools and Spas, Home Decorating and then Florida Gardening. The progression reflected the progress of the house but I still check all these sites almost daily. The information gained from all those sites has enabled us to build a home we love and share it with confidence. Thank you everyone!

I don't often offer advice but I willingly share our experiences if they are pertinent. Mostly I post pictures rather than give opinions because I think they can be helpful and we all seem to enjoy seeing photos. The feedback from those posts have been such a positive reinforcement for me and I have been amazed time and again at the generosity of my fellow GWebbers, even in the face of my somewhat quirky style. Sometimes I do resist posting photos to avoid boring you all though I never see a photo of yours that doesn't interest me. The variety and talent on this forum appears endless!

As for the few acidic comments, I just assume the writer is constipated that day and avoid the thread. IMHO life is waaay too short to be upset by posts on a forum.

• patricianat
    14 years ago

Monica, I have MS. We can share stories. I am doing fine. Lynn, I have no cognitive abilities remaining, so I will not have a decline. ;-)

TTodd, I have hydrangeas but they are fine. They are so big, maybe I need to cut them back or divide them someday. I had 500+ roses, but we have gotten down to about 200 now. It was just too much in my physical state and that of my DH. He had 3 strokes and 2 heart attacks, and there I am, not a darn bit of help. LOL. We have a gardener, but like us, he is aging and not as agile and strong as he once was. That's enough roses anyway. I had dozens of DA roses but they do not do well in the south because of the fungi, insects, etc. They require too much care although Pat Austin, Heritage, Lillian Austin and Abe Darby do well. The others are gone. I am just keeping what does well and although noisettes always did well for me, for some reason during the 5 years of drought we had, they started declining and I lost some of the large climbers that had tendrils of great length, some reaching as far as 20+ feet, and suddenly they just started dying. C'est la vie. I enjoyed them while I had them and was better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

• Ideefixe
    14 years ago

I started on Antique Roses, and after those battles, all other forums seem tame. I've been here longer than my official registration would show, and I'm older than dirt.

I do think that there used to be rather more philosophical questions that attracted longer and more diverse answers, but fora go through many stages. I try not to be rude, but I do love to see the fur fly over such pressing issues as "shoes inside?" or "books in the bathroom?".

And I just skim over "painted or stained?", "Which color?" and such, but whatever. An FAQ might be handy, but it's not going to reflect the current mood of the members.

• artlover13060
    14 years ago

I'm a 57 year old female. I'm a teacher and I had lots of time to post this summer, but have been really busy with school since Aug. I still scan/read the posts but don't have much time to contribute or ask questions.

• anotherlinda
    14 years ago

59 year old here. I first joined the GW before the "That Home Site!" forums came into being (my user name was 2ZMall). Used to read the forums, Garden Party in particular, on our WebTV. Remember those? Spike regularly got upset with the Garden Partiers for posting too much - he called GP the "tail that wagged the dog".

I can attest to the quality of the advice given here on the Decorating forum from these very generous, talented women. I learn something new here every day. Not much of a poster, a little on the shy side, but an avid reader/learner.

Linda

• justretired
    14 years ago

Hi. I am 58 years old and am a retired teacher. I joined officially in June, 2007 but lurked before then and mostly lurk now although I am inspired to offer an opinion or suggestion on rare occasions!

I check the forum most every day, even when we go south in the winter..... I also enjoy the holiday, perennial and hosta forums. Lurk there too:)

Appreciate everyone's creativity and willingness to help each other. Great thread.

JR

• spitfire_01
    14 years ago

I am a 38-year-old (I think, hard to remember at times!), female with 2 young children and a full-time (overtime required) job with no nanny/grandparents/help. My youngest has finally reached the blissful age of 5-years-old, so I can finally let him out of my sight for a few minutes! I've had more time for hobbies this year than the past 9 years combined. I don't remember when I registered. I know I lurked on several forums starting around 2005 before I finally registered. Whenever I searched for information on things like appliances or kitchen renovations, gardenweb posts always appeared on the search engine. I started saving myself some time by searching this site first.

I think Vip (vcheethi) said what I have been trying to articulate for years. As I have always suspected, this board leans heavily toward the still active, empty-nesters. I can't keep up. I do read and try to retain information for later. I've found lot of great ideas that I hope to use later. (Lately you all have me pining for a sewing machine. That may have to be my next project/hobby for my next block of free time.) Peaceful state ... yes, that is it exactly. I pop in and out of here as my time permits. Decorating is a fun "extra" to me so it comes last after all my responsibilities.

I received a lot of help recently with my library. It is looking good (at least I think so). Last weekend I took the plunge and bought new curtains. Once I have them in place, I will post new pictures. I *thought* I'd have them up by now, but as always, life throws a curveball. FIL is in ICU right now. I popped in tonight for a distraction since I can't sleep anyway.

• sewwhatsnew
    14 years ago

I turned 50 this past summer, I'm surprised so many of us are similar in age. I'm a stay at home NANA, I'm with my grandson everyday, time flew by, he starts kindergarten next year. I've sewn custom window treatments on and off for 15 years. I love window fashion but am struggling with my naked windows, so I'm here all the time asking questions. I joined about a year ago, think I was hooked on BM paint posts at that time and selling our home. We remodeled our new home this year and I've enjoyed all the forums.

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

Hello all. I'm 42 (yesterday) and have been reading this forum almost every day for over a year. Doing a major remodel in pieces now that my bids came in crazy high from my architect last January and with the recession I am being conservative with my money and taking it slow.

This forum is such a wealth of information. I learned so much here from how to paint cabinets, what a frameless shower was, how to spray paint door hinges, scale of lights, etc.

I just started posting a few months ago and love the support from the posters who are nice and helpful. I put several before and after pics and got some very nice compliments and great advice in the Decorating forum. It made my day, since DH doesn't get into to all that. I can't tell you how good those positive feedback posts are when you work hard and put yourself out there by posting pictures.

But, today on the kitchen forum I was attacked personally and it is horrible. I don't like being attacked and this has happened a couple of times to me when I had a serious problem I wanted advice or help with. Today with a product i ordered that was damaged and I made a mistake and didn't read the fine print and inspect the sink when it got here. So I'm out $1000 and upset about it. Yes, it's my fault for not reading the policy but, hey don't stick your finger in the wound and twist it around.

I love all of you guys. Notice the rude people aren't chatting on this post and making friends. Guess they are too busy making other people feel bad on other posts.

Happy Gardenwebbing and keep the positive energy flowing. It all comes back to you.

• loribee
    14 years ago

I think I officially joined in 07 also, but read/lurked for a bit longer. Came over from a wonderful decor group on MSN....
    I'm a 49 year old female and really appreciate this forum and the fact that we all can express our different styles.
    I love that many folks here are so kind with their advice and time spent on thinking things thru to help and with wonderful photoshopping.
    Very fortunate that we were able to buy our "dream" home 2 years ago and am on the quest to create the perfect non-brown FR, lol...My "real life" friends are not very interested in decor (except for one VERY generous, talented friend) so boards like these are a god send! I try to pop in every AM before going to work.~

• newdawn1895
    14 years ago

Thank you Patricia I needed to hear that this morning. You are a doll and quite funny. I like a woman that speaks her mind, always have.

Mona thanks best friend!

....Jane

• amysrq
    14 years ago

I am 46 and have been here since 2004. I found this place after doing a kitchen renovation and feel grateful because if I'd known about the Kitchens board, it would have taken me years to make decisions!

I notice the board is slower and so I don't post as much. It's is kind of a positive feedback cycle. The slower it gets, the less people post.

I also wonder about another board I visit. It is for travel and I am planning a trip right now. It seems to have dropped off, with fewer of the old posters there and far less volume. I wonder if there is a dilution in the marketplace with so many other forums to choose from...

• honeybea5
    14 years ago

I'm Colleen and started reading GW 2 or 3 years ago on the gardening side. Then I bought a house and started lurking here trying to help figure out how to work with it, how to find my own style, and discover the mysteries of paint and window treatments etc. I might be kind of decorating impaired (and budget impaired!) but lurking the forum has provided a lot of inspiration. I haven't overcome the fear of messing it all up yet but there are some starts and there are some ideas percolating. I love it when people post pictures of what they're working on and what inspires them!
    (Thanks everyone!)

• credomk
    14 years ago

I'm late responding to this--go figure. I'm a thirty-four-year-old mom of two, so my time to check in (and definitely to respond) is very limited. But I love seeing everyone's great advice when I have time to read. And I've gotten some really helpful feedback the times I've posted, especially when I was agonizing over paint colors a month or so ago. (Pictures still to come--I promise!) I think I originally joined when I was looking for bedding a little over a year ago. Since then I've utilized the furniture forum for a kitchen/dining set, painting forum for advice, and this wonderful forum for everything else. I love to browse some of the others, especially kitchens, too, when I have time.